Sweet trees

Options

Comments

• newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Msrainbow wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am new here :) I have been reading this thread with interest as I want to make candy trees.

I haven't seen one in person, so please excuse my daft questions.

1.Can the entire wrapped sweet be pulled off or do people just take the sweet out of the glued wrapper?

2. What about rounded ball wrapped chocolates where you would glue the bottom in the middle part, where you would normally open it? I guess a good example would be creme eggs whereas with Lindt balls at least you have the ends you can glue instead.

3. With the Ferrero Rochers. Do you use glue inside their little cases as well to keep them held in?

Something's I have seen you can melt chocolate and use this to stick them on and then they just pull off - I suppose they would pull off to with ediable glue.

Just glue anywhere and they would pull off as long as you don't get carried away!

Also for Ferrero Rochers I would look at using cocktail sticks to hold them in place, although this might br trial and error as I haven't actually tried doing that!!
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • crystal_fire
    Options
    Has anyone spotted any ferrero rocher on sale yet!? I've seen a lot of sweets/chocs on offer but not the FR's can we keep an eye out please and thank you :T
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • Luckystar
    Luckystar Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone spotted any ferrero rocher on sale yet!? I've seen a lot of sweets/chocs on offer but not the FR's can we keep an eye out please and thank you :T

Saw them in Tesco today but not on offer at the moment

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=Ferrero&newSort=true&search=Search
  • nutty1
    nutty1 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    image_1.jpgthese are 3 packs for a pound in b and m. good for sweet tree
  • jkl123
    jkl123 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Could you use normal glue or do you have to have a glue gun for wrapped sweets?
    Also I have seen on eBay a kit to make 5 mini trees, all you have to add is the sweets for £12 + £3 p&p, would it be much cheaper to buy it separately or is there not much difference? Thanks
  • trix29
    Options
    Hi all. Im new here. Iv never made a sweet tree. Been reading that some of u have got mould around the bottom. Can you tell me what I would need to make a chocolate tree. Also how would I make a cadbury cream egg tree. If I use sticks, wouldn't the fillings leak out. Would using a hot glue gun be safe. And will hobbycraft have all the things I need xx
  • jojoh_3
    jojoh_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    You could try sticking the eggs on with glue dots, not the craft ones as they won't be strong enough, as for the mould I've never had a problem, I use filler from Homebase and usually cover my stick with ribbon or paint it. Just have a go it's a bit trial and error ! Good Luck.
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2014 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Jkl123 I always use a glue gun for my sweet trees.

I use plaster of Paris in bases , I usually put quite a few stones in the base to make it heavier.

I seen the sweet tree kits. Make sure you read the sizes as I've had a friend disappointed as they are very small

Hovercraft have all the things you want. Sometimes fleabay or amazok are cheaper. And I've even found the small craft places can be cheaper. I would get the bases from bootsales or like as you can pick up some pretty plant pots for less than a £..often pennies. And they can be painted. The sticks, I've used bamboo canes and dwelling. Whatever"s in the sale and usually paint the stick. If you do get the cream eggs on the tree. Cover it with cello wrap it holds everything in place :-)
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
  • craftygran
    Options
    My daughter has asked me to make 4 trees for the children using Miniature Heroes. I have only made 1 before and that was with marshmallows and cocktail sticks. Can someone recommend what size ball I should use and should I stick them on with a glue gun.
  • susan42
    susan42 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hi crafty gran , I'd use 15 cm for those. Depends how big you want them. On a 15 cm ball is get about 3/4 of a tub on. I colour the ball before sometimes by using markers or paint. I've also done these without doing it.
    I found a glue gun best but that was because they stick quick . I finish off with cello wrap because that holds them in place when you're transporting it. HTH
    Challenge 2018 - Learn by heart the Book by Wayne Morgan on Amazon - Betfair Football Trading as it helps to supplement my small income :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure