PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!

Options

Comments

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let me know when you put the order in and we'll all be round to wet the numerous babies heads!!! ;)

The next one already? Took me 4 years to contemplate the "next one" :rotfl: if I do the same again I'll be mid 30's.

Some people say its nice to have them close together but I honestly think the "best way" is to do what's right for you. There's pros and cons both ways.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Weronika
    Weronika Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    :beer:

You're making it sound like mid 30s is old! I don't think we can afford another. In fact, we can't really afford this one :rotfl:

Yup, we couldn't really afford first one so we went ahead and 2 years later got ourselves a second baby:D

Surprisingly, we discovered, I can live without little things and big things like handbags, perfumes, new car, holidays abroad, going out, takeaways... :rotfl:
    I am still lusting over the new HTC One phone though. I'm thinking, July is my birthday and that's not that far away, surely...:cool:
    Debt: [STRIKE]-£77.299 74,209[/STRIKE]-£72,860 Projected MF date(age):[STRIKE]2044(63)[/STRIKE] 2029(48)
    Credit Card 0%: -£1,800 Reg Saver: £4000/£6000 ISA: £0/£2500

From March 2012: Mortgage OP: £160 pcm
    (saving 29k):D
    Apr 2013 Goal: reduce balance to £72,000 to get 60%LTV & better deal
  • starnac
    Options
    :beer:

You're making it sound like mid 30s is old! I don't think we can afford another. In fact, we can't really afford this one :rotfl:

You'll never properly afford kids no matter how much money you've got. There's always more stuff to spend money on but like Weronika says you learn to live without things so you can buy them the things they need. If either of mine needed something I would certainly go without.

Don't put off having another just cos you think you can't afford it as there will always be something that you need to spend money on (obviously if it would push you into poverty then maybe leave it a while :) )
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    starnac wrote: »
    You'll never properly afford kids no matter how much money you've got. There's always more stuff to spend money on but like Weronika says you learn to live without things so you can buy them the things they need. If either of mine needed something I would certainly go without.

Don't put off having another just cos you think you can't afford it as there will always be something that you need to spend money on (obviously if it would push you into poverty then maybe leave it a while :) )

I should have made it clearer that I was joking! Having said that, as you hinted earlier, time is not on my side, so it is something we should get on with! DS is coming up to four months after all :rotfl:

I totally agree, there's never a good time to have children. HOwever some people do find it more affordable and others get all sorts of financial help. We are bang in the middle and don't get any help at all, having had our baby too late to qualify for tax credits etc We haven't found other things to spend money on, we've simply been hit very hard by certain factors and have had to spend every penny of our hard earned cash on paying the bills and mortgage.

While you wouldn't have children if you waited for a right time, we did want to ensure that we didn't have to rely on the state. We scrimped and saved for a house deposit so that we were finally not in a rented house (after being forced to move out three times in a row due to landlords selling up and all this about the time that interest rates reached a record low) and that we had enough money so that I could give up work for a while when the baby came along.

And like you, we go without and don't buy new cars, handbags, perfume etc. The last takeaway we had was in 2006 on one of the occasions when we had to move out of our rented house and didn't have access to a cooker.

I think life is tough generally at the moment if you're Joe Average, whether you have children or not. We have a lot to be grateful for, so can't complain!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    It's pouring down here, so DS and I aren't going out. I thought that would mean that we'd stay out of trouble and not spend any money, but for the whole morning I've been embroiled in the boring faff that is the annual car insurance renewal. I can kind of understand why some people don't bother with it - haha!

Gosh it's boring. I am about to fall asl.....
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    Options
    The comment on being in my mid 30's was a reference to a conversation I had with my doctor. He asked me if I was thinking of having any more children and when I said I wasn't sure yet he told me in no uncertain terms that I need to get thinking cos I've only got 5 years if I'm lucky :eek: don't you just love doctors!
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    The comment on being in my mid 30's was a reference to a conversation I had with my doctor. He asked me if I was thinking of having any more children and when I said I wasn't sure yet he told me in no uncertain terms that I need to get thinking cos I've only got 5 years if I'm lucky :eek: don't you just love doctors!

Pah - how rude of him!

Where is the "rain" icon? Has it been used up?

I'm still in my car insurance nightmare which has been taking up those spare moments when DS is sleeping. In other MFW news, I've been on the phone to another call centre and my tenaciousness has paid off. The service I bought never materialised and I've had a nice £250 refunded to my card which makes this month's CC bill slightly less hellish.

Two of my eBayers never paid up. One paid just after I'd posted the item to the second highest bidder. I had budgetted under the old postage costs so I wonder if they withheld payment for a giggle as they paid at close of play on the last day of the old prices!

Happy May everyone - here's to 31 days of mortgage busting!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    Can I just add my voice to all the MSEers who are raving about Approved Food? I have been browsing their website for ages but only just got round to sitting still for long enough to place an order. I spent £30 but our cupboards are full and we have the staples in place for some great meals. Really impressed!

The rain has allowed me to be quite frugal today. I had also sent my old mobile in for recycling but there's some sort of problem with it so I'm not going to get as much moola (if any) as I thought. Boo.
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    Options
    We've just done an approved food shop too. I was a bit disappointed with the choice of foods. I found that I couldn't get have the things on my list but the stuff I ordered was pretty good tbh
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    We've just done an approved food shop too. I was a bit disappointed with the choice of foods. I found that I couldn't get have the things on my list but the stuff I ordered was pretty good tbh

Yes, I know what you mean. To be honest, looking through my list, a lot of it could be categorised as "biscuits" but we can always find a use for them!
    Overpay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport