PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!

Options

Comments

• Mortgagefreeby50
    Options
    Huh! I bet if you wrote a strongly worded email then you would get the points added! I'm sure I have taken a cloth bag with me before and they gave me green points for that. Surely it's the same thing??

Sounds like you got a jobsworth to me. It would have been quicker for her just to give it you rather than argue. And as a goodwill gesture, I'm sure it's not going to affect her store's P&L to give out green points.

Grr I'm getting all uppity on your behalf!
    Slow progress is better than no progress.
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    Huh! I bet if you wrote a strongly worded email then you would get the points added! I'm sure I have taken a cloth bag with me before and they gave me green points for that. Surely it's the same thing??

Sounds like you got a jobsworth to me. It would have been quicker for her just to give it you rather than argue. And as a goodwill gesture, I'm sure it's not going to affect her store's P&L to give out green points.

Grr I'm getting all uppity on your behalf!

Hahaha! How funny!

I could have taken it to customer services, but thought waiting in line wasn't really worth just one point.

I wasn't that fussed at the time either - if she'd said, "I'm really sorry, it's too late and it's all gone through" I would have left it, but people who start quoting terms and conditions at me for the sake of it get the worst from me!

After all, she was a lot nicer to the woman behind me in the queue who bought two items and put each one into a separate plastic bag!

I do promise that if I go out today, I will behave a lot better! (Or go to Lidl where taking your own bag is the norm!)

On another note, I've been trying my best to live my life according to the Compact. As all you MFWers will know, that's a commitment where you don't buy anything new except for food, medication, underwear and safety equipment.

I've been pretty good at this overall, but have had the odd slip here and there, particularly since DS arrived (I mean slip up, not petticoat).

I've just joined the Non Consumer Advocate group on FB and have decided to take this challenge more seriously. I'm going to start again in October and really do it properly for a month and see where we go from there. If I could do this through the whole of 2013, then I could really start to attack the mortgage again.

Anyone want to join me?
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    My membership of the Compact has hit two major snags.

The first is that I can't log into my yahoo account to see the group discussion, and the second is that our fridge isn't working. Or rather, it's working too well and is freezing everything we put into it. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to poison DS, so I've just had to buy a new fridge. I did go through Quidco though so there's a minor plus.

Other than that I haven't bought anything and inspired by this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3698567 there is lots going out. Unlike one of two of the posters though, I am using freecycle, charity shops and FB to ensure that everything goes to a good home. I just can't put things in the bin and send them off to landfill. I tried to freecycle some old firewood but had no interest, so I took it to be recycled today. While I was there, I saw two swimming floats in the rubbish bit. The funny thing was that someone had been asking for one on freecycle.

What's that got to do with moneysaving? Well, it means I can clean things more easily, so that it takes less time and I can use the time saved to fight evil. It also means that I don't spend money buying things that I already have, and the last one is karma -if I can give someone baby clothes then hopefully the universe will ensure my winning numbers come up in the lottery.

Perhaps I should start buying lottery tickets?
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, cup of tea and a quick look at MSE! I haven't stopped for the past couple of weeks, and since then, quite a lot has happened!

I won't bore anyone with the details, but the pressure is really on. I am going to make it "interesting" (and I use that word loosely) and my new challenge is to find a way, each day, or making or saving money. Today's? I have very sadly decided to cancel our Lovefilm subscription.
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    eBay listings are going better -I know I say this every few posts, but it's amazing what people buy! We've being doing well with the moneysaving, but we've owing to circumstances we've also been a bit Shirley Bassey (HEY BIG SPENDER) with some weddings and birthdays so I've been making an extra effort with my freelancing and have listed lots more things on eBay (band t-shirts and half full (not empty) bottles of perfume for example).

I've also discovered Amazon trade in which is a hassle free way of recouping a small proportion of the huge amount I spend on books. You don't get lots, but it is much easier than waiting around - I don't have the luxury of time at the mo!

I've also started shopping in Lidl. It's much cheaper than Tesco and unlike MrT, the staff there aren't rude to you!

Have a good weekend MFWers!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    Today's challenge has been to make lunch without buying anything else - so I've had a green bean omelette and a salad without lettuce or tomatoes. I am now full but I haven't come up with a culinary creation that I'd be happy to serve up to people!

My other money saving endeavour was to be given an industrial sack of tea bags from my friend who had a party and didn't use most of them. They should last me - a confirmed tea drinker - about a week or so :rotfl:, very pleased with that.
    Overpay!
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hehe...your comment on tea made me laugh! I'm the same but with choc chip cookies. I bought a stack of cookies on Approved Food to last me 6 months - guess how long they lasted?!

Glad to hear moneysaving is going well - isn't it amazing the tut people buy on ebay? I think my most amazing sale was an old pair of Asda shoes that were showing their age! I even got 2 bidders on them.

I will update my diary someday but right now am rushed off my feet trying to get the house and my life organised before going back to a new job on 29th. Heaven help me!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    mouche wrote: »
    Hehe...your comment on tea made me laugh! I'm the same but with choc chip cookies. I bought a stack of cookies on Approved Food to last me 6 months - guess how long they lasted?!

Glad to hear moneysaving is going well - isn't it amazing the tut people buy on ebay? I think my most amazing sale was an old pair of Asda shoes that were showing their age! I even got 2 bidders on them.

I will update my diary someday but right now am rushed off my feet trying to get the house and my life organised before going back to a new job on 29th. Heaven help me!

Hi Mouche!
    Good to hear from you - I haven't seen any updates on your diary, is it still up and running!

Hope all is well with you and DS. And congrats on the new job! How have you managed that with everything you've got going on?

I didn't know you could buy shoes in Asda! That's great that they sold- you've inspired me to two more things. Bye (or should that be "buy" winter boots and Monsoon skirt!!
    Overpay!
  • Weronika
    Weronika Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    I've been listing baby clothes and no luck, need to work on my descriptions most likely the culprit. But u have inspired me as I got loads of perfumes that I don't like, and stuff covered in dust:-) too bad I just missed free listing weekend!
    I also need to buy new car seat, they grow so quick!
    All the copper coins are going to charity via trafford ctr fountains via my Monkey:-) so no saving there:-)
    Debt: [STRIKE]-£77.299 74,209[/STRIKE]-£72,860 Projected MF date(age):[STRIKE]2044(63)[/STRIKE] 2029(48)
    Credit Card 0%: -£1,800 Reg Saver: £4000/£6000 ISA: £0/£2500

From March 2012: Mortgage OP: £160 pcm
    (saving 29k):D
    Apr 2013 Goal: reduce balance to £72,000 to get 60%LTV & better deal
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh dear :(, not good!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure