PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!

Options

Comments

• I_want_a_baby
    Options
    Oh no!!

Surely it will be a claim on their insurance though, so shouldn't cost you?

Hope you get it sorted x
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh no. Hope your car doesn't cost too much! Did they even stop?
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • starnac
    Options
    A good cry is sometimes exactly what you need. It doesn't help in a practical way but emotionally it does wonders.

Hope everything else is okay?
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh PBR - big hug! Couldn't read and run - I'm not on MSE too much these days thanks to full time job + toddler who thinks 10 pm is a reasonable time to go to bed.

What a complete <insert expletive here> of a person to do that to your car. And then run off without taking responsibility for it. I hope something equally pleasant happens to them soon.

Sometimes a good cry is the only solution when you feel trapped and helpless. But things will get better - and you are a lovely strong wise funny person who will get past whatever the world is throwing at you right now. Hang in there and take care.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • starnac
    Options
    PBR what a lot going on.

First off sorry you were made redundant. Do you get a payout you could put into savings to live off for a while? Congratulations on starting your own business. Good luck with that.

Are you moving somewhere nicer/bigger? If you are not actually gaining anything by moving then maybe you could leave it for a while until the pressure is off a bit.

And :eek: to relative's birthday present. How on earth does he think he can do that? What has he asked for off everyone else? I would tell him politely that due to your work situation you cannot afford to spend that much. If he doesn't listen then tough. He'll soon realise on his birthday that you meant it!

Well done on the book sale.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    starnac wrote: »
    PBR what a lot going on.

First off sorry you were made redundant. Do you get a payout you could put into savings to live off for a while? Congratulations on starting your own business. Good luck with that.

Are you moving somewhere nicer/bigger? If you are not actually gaining anything by moving then maybe you could leave it for a while until the pressure is off a bit.

And :eek: to relative's birthday present. How on earth does he think he can do that? What has he asked for off everyone else? I would tell him politely that due to your work situation you cannot afford to spend that much. If he doesn't listen then tough. He'll soon realise on his birthday that you meant it!

Well done on the book sale.

Morning Starnac!

I'm just watching the marathon and thinking about going for a 26 mile run myself (minus about 25 miles) - always a good way to ponder over life's little quandaries.

Thanks for your kind comments about being made redundant. I feel completely useless and am wondering if I could have prevented it. However, I am enjoying working for myself and am just slowly trying to increase the amount of business coming in!

I have got a payout coming, but it's not much. It will be enough to cover the next mortgage payment and then the rest will go towards the house deposit. Hopefully our house sale will go through and we'll be moving in the summer. The house we have our eye on is a tiny bit bigger although the garden is smaller. It's in a nicer area, so all in all, probably worth going for it.

The biggest factor in our decision was my car getting hit by some low life last week. I've decided that it's a sign. If someone thinks it's ok to text and hit a car and drive off, then they will also think it's acceptable to knock my DS over and drive off. He's such an active boy that it would not surprise me if he ran off into the road.

What is making me laugh and cry in equal measure is the present we have to buy for someone. I can't really say what it is as it will reveal our identities, but he has told us not to ask anyone else to chip in! This is something he wants us to pay for and to be honest £300+ is a conservative estimate. Having worked it out, it could be more like £500 which is money that I would like to put to our new house. DH feels the same way as me, but it's his family member and he has already said we can't afford it in a conversation that met with deaf ears.

You can't choose your family eh?!

Have a lovely weekend all - it's glorious outside!
    Overpay!
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Unbelievably, someone has now snapped the wing mirror off DH's car! How can people do things like that? Grrrrrrr.

I really need some more money. That means I really need to get some more clients.

That's enough ranting - here are the positive MSE actions from today. Let's hope I can find 10!

1. Paid for my shopping with nectar points.

2. Sold a dress on eBay that I can post tomorrow.

3. Was going to buy DH a DVD but a friend has offered to lend it to us.

4. Picked up a free newspaper from a bench.

5. Had leftovers for lunch.

6. Did a mystery shop.

7. Walked across town.

8. Used a birthday card from my stash for a friend.

9. Did some quidco check-ins in town.

10. Decluttered a mirror and some books to the charity shop. I always class this as moneysaving as it helps me see what I have!

Have a lovely evening all!
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    Options
    Blimey I do dread to think what the present is especially as he's asked you not to ask anyone else to chip in. How cheeky.

I hope everything goes well for you with the house moving/selling. Good luck with your business too. You sound like you are doing well already
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Options
    Oh PBR sorry to hear things have been so tough.

Would going back to work part time be any help to you? And do a bit of freelancing as well instead of going back full time? Have you contacted the people who haven't paid you to enquire when you will be paid?

I hope that these other people are aware of how tough they have made things for you. They do sound very selfish if they are happy to put you and your family in a difficult situation just to please themselves.

(((((((Hugs)))))))) for now
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Options
    Right first off you are not a failure!!! Secondly DS won't even notice he's going without. Trust me.

Okay if you go back to work you'll have to travel yeah? So DS will be in bed by the time you come home? We have this issue here. DH commutes and is often gone before the kids get up and home after they are in bed (especially now he has to catch the train!!!). Yes the kids miss him, even DS who is 18months. Sometimes I have a nightmare putting them to bed cos they want to see daddy, and it does upset me. But needs must. On his days off they get much more quality time together because they appreciate each other more. It's very much swings and roundabouts. I sometimes get upset that they always want daddy to put them to bed not me but I get times with them that DH doesn't. It's very difficult from both sides as I know DH misses them when he goes days without seeing them but he enjoys his time with them when he gets some. Am I making sense? I may just be waffling here. Basically you need to make the choice that is best for your family. If working full time is that choice then don't feel guilty about it. Appreciate the time you do get with them instead of feeling guilty about the time you don't get.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business