PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS Daily Thursday 25th August

Options
bramble1
bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
edited 25 August 2011 at 7:37AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Thursday 25th August. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Morning all!

I am tired, was up late last night washing down our walls, giving the house a super clean as i presume our landlords will want access at some point.

Lunch today is l/o sausage pasta, dinner i think will be fish, but i'm not decided on that one yet. OH isn't working so he can sort his own lunch out.

Need to sit down and work out a budget for the month ahead, I'm planning on not really going out so much to save for the move, but it's easier said than done, as OH likes to go to sit the pub one a sunday afternoon. He's not as home as much as me so doesn't feel the urgency i do to move.

Was going to walk to work today and put my trainfare in the pot, but it's been raining over night and may well start again so think i'll just get the train.

Going to do a food shop tonight, i wonder what a sensible,achievable budget is for the two of us to eat well, but cheaply. I don't snack but OH does, I can go without meat, but he can't.

Anyway best be off.

Have a lovely day all!
x
Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
Debt payments 2012 £433.27

Comments

• Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Bramble and all who follow,

Good luck to everyone getting exam results today. I am going into work this morning to see how my pupils have done, fingers crossed for all of them.

It finally rained last night for the first time in ages, the lawn has already picked up and the plants are looking a lot happier, mind you I am not sure whether my washing will dry.

For the next week I am looking after a neighbours cat and chickens so I am hoping for some fresh eggs. We used to have chickens until a fox killed them all and I really miss them.

Tea tonight is fish with wedges.

Have a lovely day everyone.:)
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,

Good Luck GCSE'ers 2Q==

Tappers - Hope your feeling better today xx
    JG - Hugs to you, Hope your feeling brighter. PM me if you need to xx
    NPM - Positive vibes for Fatcat today xx

Today, Cleaning job this morning, then off to get DD's hairs cut :D.
    Tea tonight sausages for DH....F/Fingers for Kids....Me not sure.

DW has been emptied. Washing got another rinse on the line lastnight...but need to put another load in. General straighten up then i'm good to go :cool:.

Have lovely days xx

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWFDPaSytC2d9UO4SzQUaRWFtnsDdKYnDIrNoH00_aYPJs6SQT
    2Q==
    Z
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Bramble, Moorhen and everyone else xx

Today has dawned wet in Yorkshire, but I still have a pile of housework to do. We're all in our jamas at the mo on the sofa whilst OH & I declutter some coffee! Then it will be all hands to the pump so to speak to get dressed and start tidying up - the mountain of washing and ironing has been done so now its just the general housework and tidying up left.

Will probably need to shop for fresh veg and eggs today and we're planning on taking the children to Bowes Museum as they have a special Egyptian day (you have to prebook for the activity). Diet is going well and I'm on a roll (I'm determined to be!!!). Must get the lovelies to try on their school uniform and get the needle & thread out to label it all / take up any hems / repair any holes from last year! Have a good day all - hugs if needed.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2011 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Hello everyone!

DD gets her GCSE results this morning:eek::eek::eek: then she is enroling this afternoon at the college that has offered her a conditional place. Where has the time gone? She's also just been accepted on to an OU course even though she's only 16 as they feel she's competent enough to handle it:beer: We are SO very proud of our little baby.

Just having bacon butties for breakfast. WM has been on and DW.

I won't bore you with my health details as there hasn't really been any improvement, but I'm still breathing, and grateful for that:D

Take care everyone and hope you're all doing and keeping okay.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • dreamyd
    dreamyd Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning. Hugs and thoughts to everyone who needs them.
    It's really grey outside, and threatening to chuck it down. EH's gf arrived last night after truly cr*p train journey from Cumbria, with flowers and wine as a thankyou present. Garden tiger took a liking to her straight away, and she seems nice enough. They left about 5 minutes ago on a major house hunt, which will hopefully mean that by the end of the day, they'll have found a new place.

I've been invited out to lunch today - will see if I can use a BOGOF or similiar voucher. The OS content of today will cleaning out the fridge and making DH's sandwiches. I don't know what itme EH and gf will be backtonight, but I'll see if we can eat as a foursome once DH gets home.

Have a good day everyone.

The GCSEs come out today. Hope everyone's DD/DS , etc, get the grades they want and need. Heaven only knows what my Y11 tribe got. No doubt I'll find out later. Have agood day.
    Surviving the ups and downs of life with DH
    RIP Garden Tiger January 2007 - May 2022
    Weight loss 20.5/124lbs
    MF since 12/18

Fashion on the Ration 2022 53/66 coupons remaining
    2022 Decluttering challenge 300/2022 items banished

• Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all

Good luck to GCSE takers today.

Went out for a lovely curry last night to celebrate our anniversary. OH brought me home some flowers-freesias-my favourites! Quite OS as restaurant is byo. It was packed and has a lovely family atmosphere-there are always families or groups of friends celebrating something.

Washing stayed on the line overnight as it rained yesterday afternoon and I wasn't quick enough-the heavens just opened....

Tea tonight is meatballs and spaghetti as I am trying to run the freezer down to defrost it.

Have a good day everyone, especially those on holiday.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all :hello:,

Not raining today so I'll go up the allotment for a couple of hours. I don't actually feel like doing this but it's my last chance till next Monday so needs must. I'm skint anyway till Hubby's wages go in tomorrow so it's either allotment or more housework. (Or go back to bed, but I'd really better not, eh?)

I got a good find in the charity shop yesterday...two immaculate M&S school blouses for DD, age 11, 50p each. She really likes them but up till now has been wearing polo shirts and school sweat shirts. to wear the blouses she'll need a cardigan and tie, so maybe not such a saving after all lol. The school has a For Sale box though for lost items that have not been reclaimed after two months. Might get a tie in there.

Tonight's dinner is sorted...pork chops in spicy mango glaze (brush on a bit of mango chutney before grilling!), potato wedges and any other vegetables the allotment may provide. Found half a tub of ice cream in the freezer last night too (thought it was chopped up rhubarb actually) so if there's any raspberries on the allotment there's pudding sorted too.

Good luck to all expecting GCSE results today.
    Val.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2011 at 8:41AM
    Options
    Morning all,

Off to collect DD's Gcse results at 9.30 too, she is very nervous, at least the wait is almost over, good luck to everyone xx

Wet here today, so no washing will be done, OH and I had a good day in the bathroom, the new floorboards have been fitted, plywood is down, we plastered, and the bath is in but not plumbed in yet. I am absolutly shattered at night, sleeping like a log and eating like a horse, I now understand why OH eats so much :rotfl:

Something with chips for dinner, nice and quick, I made a roast last night which was nice, but we did not eat till 7, which is a bit later for us.

OK better get some breakfast and go get the results, fingers crossed xx
  • Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all and good luck to any GCSE takers

Another quiet day at home today - it's been raining overnight but seems to be dry and clear at the moment so I am hoping to get some washing out and maybe do a bit in the garden. I am trying to ignore the huge mountain of ironing but I know I will have to give in an do it eventually - hopefully there will be a good play on the radio or on iPlayer which will make the task more palatable!

Dinner tonight will be pasta bake with roasted vegs from the in laws' garden (they are away on holiday so we have been harvesting in their absence - plenty of tomatoes, courgettes and onions for roasted veg, not to mention the runner beans!)

Hope everyone has a lovely day

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck to those waiting for GCSE results today.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport