Energy Misselling guide discussion

edited 9 August 2011 at 7:06PM in Energy
66 replies 16K views
123457»

Replies

• I have a complain against a broker company "Make It Cheaper" who promised a new contract and cheap energy to our business in Feb 2015 but the contract never went live. We ended up being billed by the previous provider (British Gas) on the higher band till Oct 2015 when we finally signed a new contract with the previous provider itself. This has caused a loss to our business.

Though i followed their complaint procedure and sent them a letter 2nd week Jan 2016 by recorded delivery to find a solution in 14 working days, it was not efficient at all. After I have spoken to CAB, Consumer Helpline and finally the retail ombudsman , i drafted an official complaint to MIC.

Make It Cheaper (MIC) Agreed to set our business with up a new contract with a company called Extra Energy (EE) on 26th Feb 2015.
    1. The contact did not go live on 26th Feb 2015 as promised
    2. The initial contract had the wrong name, Address, Start date and the wrong meter for the said business
    3. I contacted them multiple times over the phone and then through emails regarding this issue. I was always reassured there was nothing wrong.
    4. I started receiving letters from British Gas (BG) stating that we owe them money
    5. I contacted MIC, who assured me that my contract was still with EE and not BG, who in the mean time were billing us on a higher band at a higher rate.
    6. Reminder letters kept coming from BG and, when it came, i contacted MIC customer service who kept assuring me the contract was with EE. Surprisingly EE were not aware of such a contract when i called them
    7. Finally after we got a letter from BG who said they were going to proceed legally, i again contacted MIC who, after 6 months of calling them almost every other week finally admitted that there was a problem with the initial contract with EE and it did not go live and we were still with BG!!
    8. Inorder to get a quick resolution, an agreement was made to join BG and a new contract was drafted on 23/10/2015 which is now live (i contacted BG directly to confirm this)
    9. When i contacted MIC customer service on higher band rate (5), an agent agreed to resolve this issue but he left the company halfway through. Though another agent promised to contact BG on this issue and come up with an agreement, BG never had any record of any such calls - which i realized quite recently after i spoke to a BG complaints agent myself.
    10. BG came up with a huge bill of around £8K generated over the past 9 months when our monthly bill should have been around £200 a month
    11. We agreed to a payment plan directly with BG to pay this amount.

So finally MIC admitted to their mistake and promised a refund of £950 and also promised to talk to British Gas to back date the bill from Oct 2015 to June 2015 (out of contract period) to make it in contract.

Its been more than a month since this decision was taken and informed to me.

I still have not recieved the refund nor has British Gas received any request from MIC to backdate the bill - which i realised after i called BG directly.

Can someone please advise what i can do in this instance - This has taken a lot of my time and there does not seem to be any central regulator when it comes to 3rd party broker companies.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
  • Hi can simeone help me i was going to join edf went through the paper work online but decided to cancel in the cooling of oeriod i emailed edf they got bk to me with a email saying they have camceled the contract like i asked i thought no mor of it till my direct debid with npower was due and jiticed that only half if the direct debit amount was tajen well i rang my suplier and learned that edf had taken over my suply even though it had been canceled thry even sent me a email to say it has been canceled i have now got to take my gas on as a new supply ed f are sorting it out now i have made a complaint they said sorry and a error was made they are phoneing next week with a resalutioncompensation how much do you guys think is resnoble in tespect of this issue all the upst it as caused thanjs
  • Austen_2610Austen_2610 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi,
    I manage my 81 yo mothers dual fuel account with First Utility. I am the authorised contact.and have previously asked that calls come through me as my mother is easily confused.
    A few weeks ago, a sales caller sold her a new tariff, despite her saying (on the call) that I would need to see it first and advise. The first I knew was when I received the change of tariff email.

I immediately rang and was told the transaction could not be reverted until it had come into force, 5 days later. After I complained they reverted it anyway. Looking at the tariff guides, it was considerably more expensive, despite the DD going down.

Since then I have had loads of phone calls trying to persuade me to close the complaint and even an unsolicited 'goodwill' gesture applied to my mother's account despite me specifically saying I was not asking for one. Some of the calls have been from unmonitored works mobiles and unrecorded, leaving the burden of proof with me that they ever took place. The complaint remains unresolved.

My concern is that there may be many cases of individuals being mis-sold in such a way and as they are all individual, each complaint can be dealt with and pushed under the carpet. The ones that complain may be the tip of the iceberg but no-one can tell. The shoddy practice may be going unnoticed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • Austen_2610Austen_2610 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi,
    I manage my 81 yo mothers dual fuel account with First Utility. I am the authorised contact.and have previously asked that calls come through me as my mother is easily confused.
    A few weeks ago, a sales caller sold her a new tariff, despite her saying (on the call) that I would need to see it first and advise. The first I knew was when I received the change of tariff email.

I immediately rang and was told the transaction could not be reverted until it had come into force, 5 days later. After I complained they reverted it anyway. Looking at the tariff guides, it was considerably more expensive, despite the DD going down.

Since then I have had loads of phone calls trying to persuade me to close the complaint and even an unsolicited 'goodwill' gesture applied to my mother's account despite me specifically saying I was not asking for one. Some of the calls have been from unmonitored works mobiles and unrecorded, leaving the burden of proof with me that they ever took place. The complaint remains unresolved.

My concern is that there may be many cases of individuals being mis-sold in such a way and as they are all individual, each complaint can be dealt with and pushed under the carpet. The ones that complain may be the tip of the iceberg but no-one can tell. The shoddy practice may be going unnoticed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • Basically i am in need of some MAJOR help and info, since i took over a business i have been quite good at learning from past mistakes and not setting up contracts with energy brokers. Basically i did both my gas and electricity in December 17. Come April ‘N Power’ rang me to discuss my contract, to be totally honest i cant even remember the conversation never mind signing up to a 3 year contract until i come to renew it with them and they tell me i set up a contract in April for 3 years. The main problem with this is that my current contract ends on 28th of December 2018 yet my new one doesnt start until April 2019 meaning ill be out of contract for 4 months. They told me that eco save solutions/eco save power are the ones who i set it up with (i know they told me they were N Power themselves not calling on behalf of N Power as ive turned down so many other brokers) not only this but i now cannot get in contact with them like n power have asked me to, to cancel the contract, but the last time they did ring they read out my personal details to someone else who works within my business. Does anyone know what i can do, can i get out of the contract 4 months before it starts? I was wondering if i started a new contract with someone else now so im not out of contract prices, and told them to not let my gas supply change would that work to get me out of it in April? I did want to stay with N power but to be totally honest they have been no help whatsoever. Sorry for waffling at 00.34am but i cant sleep worrying. I am going to try and ring again tommorow as found a seperate number from a bad review on facebook, and argue my point of breaching data protection etc but dont know what good that will do. Thanks, Sasha x
  • bob30bob30 Forumite
    1 Post
    I was contacted by an energy broker about gas and electricity supply for our community hall. I was offered prices for on-going supply with British Gas and a contract page which I signed. I have since had doubts and tried to cancel the contract within 14 days but I told by them that this right does not exist for energy contracts. Is this correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides