Energy Misselling guide discussion

edited 9 August 2011 at 7:06PM in Energy
66 replies 16K views

Replies

• Just had a letter from Eon that our direct debit needed to go up from £80 to £256 to cover arrears. on phoning it turns out that we were underpaying through the direct debit so it had to go up and they had allowed us to build up a debt of over £1000 and that needed repaying.

When speaking to the rep on the phone they said that even last november they saw that it was about half the amount.. yet they did nothing they just left it :mad:

Now thanks to their utter incompetence they have defacto tied me into the contract becuase I really could do without paying £1000 as a one off payment.

The rep on the phone managed to drop this to £200 a month but with two young kids both under the age of 5 that is a hell of a jump.

We only moved in a year ago, i told the bloke on the phone at the time that we had a daughter who was 6 months and a son who was 3 so they knew the circumstances and set it too low, thats hardly my fault. They have had accuarte estimates and meter readings and so they know full well what my usage is and did nothing for over 6 months!:mad:

The rep even said that it was for me to manage on line... how is any of this my fault exactly?? i have a job to do of my own, and i have 2 young kids, not only that but i trust one of the biggest companies to be able to manage my account when they information they have is accurate (more fool me i am sure you are all saying).

I understand i have to repay this as they have undercharged me but on the other hand they are the ones that undercharged me and i dont see why i should see a 3 fold rise in my direct debits.

I am glad that they have dropped the repayment down so that techinically i am only repaying £25 a month as they believe my direct debit to cover my bills should be £175 a month... but its been a shock!:eek:

I left Eon once beofre at an old house for them not reading the meters properly and doing similar but i stayed with them here as it was who the old owner had and when moving house there is enough to deal with without changing all suppliers.. i wish i had now..

I have made a complaint and said that i shall be writing to people to let them know of all of this, so I am at least keeping to MY word.

Once this debt is over i will be gladly moving..

My advice to anyone.. avoid Eon like the plague!
  • edited 22 June 2012 at 11:56AM
    Colin21958Colin21958 Forumite
    4 Posts
    edited 22 June 2012 at 11:56AM
    Some while ago now I changed suppliers from British Gas to Scottish Power then to Southern Electric then back to Bristish Gas, then eventually I changed to Eon, who I am now with. I changed several times because, despite promises of cheaper energy, shortly after switching, their charges changed and I ended up paying more.

However, a problem arose when I went back to Bristish Gas and they sent their first bill, which was sent within a month of me rejoining them. This bill was based on estimated readings and was for about £400 more than it should have been.

Now, it turned out that during the whole series of changes not ONE of the companies took actual meter readings! They all used estimated readings even though both my meters are outside and easily accessible 24 hours a day. No other incumbrances exist, such as dogs, etc., not even a wall or fence seperates the meters from the main road, yet they did not bother to take any readings!

When I received this bill I realised there was something wrong and when I realised that they had based this bill on estimated readings I contacted them; I also checked all the bills I had received from the other companies and found that not one actual reading had been take at any time! I therefore complained to British Gas and they made adjustments to the readings so that the bill more closely reflected the energy I had used in that time.

However, I then received updated bills from the other two companies saying that I now owed them money instead; I can follow the logic in that, clearly I HAD used the energy, but who did I owe the money to? And at what rate, since they all charged differently! Eventually, after refusing to pay these bills and arguing with the companies involved I eventually made a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Eventually the Ombudsman ruled in THEIR favour, stating that I should pay the bills as now presented. However, I am still not happy with this situation as neither one of the companies can prove what I used from each of them and therefore at what rate the energy should be paid for and to whom. I am therefore annoyed with the Ombudsman. If I just accept their decision I have to pay the bills as they are, not knowing whether I am being charged in accordance with the contracts I entered into, even though the problem has arisen due to THEIR incompetence and failure to take accurate readings! I am now very tempted to reject the Ombudsmans decision and take the matter to court, of course I realise that in reality I owe money for energy, but to whom and how much?

Clearly in my opinion, as there was no barrier to them obtaining correct readings and they cannot therefore prove who provided what, I don't accept that I should pay them anything. I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this and suggestions on what you think I should do! Thanks...

Colin.
  • Terrylw1Terrylw1 Forumite
    7K Posts
    Colin21958 wrote: »
    Some while ago now I changed suppliers from British Gas to Scottish Power then to Southern Electric then back to Bristish Gas, then eventually I changed to Eon, who I am now with. I changed several times because, despite promises of cheaper energy, shortly after switching, their charges changed and I ended up paying more.

However, a problem arose when I went back to Bristish Gas and they sent their first bill, which was sent within a month of me rejoining them. This bill was based on estimated readings and was for about £400 more than it should have been.

Now, it turned out that during the whole series of changes not ONE of the companies took actual meter readings! They all used estimated readings even though both my meters are outside and easily accessible 24 hours a day. No other incumbrances exist, such as dogs, etc., not even a wall or fence seperates the meters from the main road, yet they did not bother to take any readings!

When I received this bill I realised there was something wrong and when I realised that they had based this bill on estimated readings I contacted them; I also checked all the bills I had received from the other companies and found that not one actual reading had been take at any time! I therefore complained to British Gas and they made adjustments to the readings so that the bill more closely reflected the energy I had used in that time.

However, I then received updated bills from the other two companies saying that I now owed them money instead; I can follow the logic in that, clearly I HAD used the energy, but who did I owe the money to? And at what rate, since they all charged differently! Eventually, after refusing to pay these bills and arguing with the companies involved I eventually made a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Eventually the Ombudsman ruled in THEIR favour, stating that I should pay the bills as now presented. However, I am still not happy with this situation as neither one of the companies can prove what I used from each of them and therefore at what rate the energy should be paid for and to whom. I am therefore annoyed with the Ombudsman. If I just accept their decision I have to pay the bills as they are, not knowing whether I am being charged in accordance with the contracts I entered into, even though the problem has arisen due to THEIR incompetence and failure to take accurate readings! I am now very tempted to reject the Ombudsmans decision and take the matter to court, of course I realise that in reality I owe money for energy, but to whom and how much?

Clearly in my opinion, as there was no barrier to them obtaining correct readings and they cannot therefore prove who provided what, I don't accept that I should pay them anything. I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this and suggestions on what you think I should do! Thanks...

Colin.

I suggest starting a new thread about this so more people see it.

The problem is that regulations state they have to read the meter once every 2 years, so they can fall back on this. If their t&c's state earlier targets, its possible that you could consider them in breach of a contractual point.

Now in elec, if you keep switching, the 2 year policy becomes impossible to be compliant with since the inheriting supplier & agents have no idea about anything before them. So, its gets reset...and you can blame Ofgem for this as the industry processes cause this as it was never set up for constant switchers for this policy.

For gas its very different. There is a data item in the distributors database which is updated by suppliers as their agents take the reads or an engineer views the meter for any reason. Its called Last Inspection Date (LID). So, as you switch, this remains update able and viewable. This means that the 2 years is not reset by your switch, hence the supplier at that time has to do the visit.

So, some of that might come into play but you need to detail your switch dates.

Going to court may not bring the result you so, if they have re Deemed your want either because you are responsible for the bills as well and could have given readings to them.

The switches will always been estimated, known as Deeming because an end reading to bill you to and start you from is required. This isn't done by your suppliers, its done by the gaining suppliers agent who receives a copy of your previous consumption of your old suppliers agent. This is all they have and the process is the industry standard. So, if the re Deem your switches, it all estimates based on anything they have and if it never gets readings, it might not be fully accurate. However, this is the process and Ofgem will support this. The only thing you can do is determine how its been done and whether its accurate.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Terrylw1 wrote: »
    I suggest starting a new thread about this so more people see it.

The problem is that regulations state they have to read the meter once every 2 years, so they can fall back on this. If their t&c's state earlier targets, its possible that you could consider them in breach of a contractual point.

Now in elec, if you keep switching, the 2 year policy becomes impossible to be compliant with since the inheriting supplier & agents have no idea about anything before them. So, its gets reset...and you can blame Ofgem for this as the industry processes cause this as it was never set up for constant switchers for this policy.

For gas its very different. There is a data item in the distributors database which is updated by suppliers as their agents take the reads or an engineer views the meter for any reason. Its called Last Inspection Date (LID). So, as you switch, this remains update able and viewable. This means that the 2 years is not reset by your switch, hence the supplier at that time has to do the visit.

So, some of that might come into play but you need to detail your switch dates.

Going to court may not bring the result you so, if they have re Deemed your want either because you are responsible for the bills as well and could have given readings to them.

The switches will always been estimated, known as Deeming because an end reading to bill you to and start you from is required. This isn't done by your suppliers, its done by the gaining suppliers agent who receives a copy of your previous consumption of your old suppliers agent. This is all they have and the process is the industry standard. So, if the re Deem your switches, it all estimates based on anything they have and if it never gets readings, it might not be fully accurate. However, this is the process and Ofgem will support this. The only thing you can do is determine how its been done and whether its accurate.

Thanks for you help, in view of what you say, I suppose I should just pay it and forget the issue! Sounds like a pointless battle! :-)
  • dude89dude89 Forumite
    191 Posts

Everytime i have switched i receive a letter from my new supplier requesting a meter reading. These are standard letters automatically sent out.

It would be extremly difficult and costly to get a meter reader to visit a property on the day of visit, that is why the customer is asked to complete this task.

Also everytime ive seen a final bill they have either said, 'Your Actual Final Bill' or 'Your estimated final bill'.

I can see that the ombudsman would have no alternative but to rule in the suppliers favour as they have followed an industry standard procedure
    7K Posts
    Thanks for you help, in view of what you say, I suppose I should just pay it and forget the issue! Sounds like a pointless battle! :-)

It depends if its all been calculated the right way. You could focus on this and it may reveal an error that could mean a reassessment & reduction.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • rita-rabbitrita-rabbit Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    E-ONe-on are theives/conartists:
    recently they doubled my direct debit. 2day I received a letter which states: "our meter reading has given us a reading which shows you're using more gas than we expected" funny that considering I gave them readings last winter before deciding to change from Powergen! Note: they phoned me & said, "you are paying way too much for a single woman in a 1-bed flat, working full time & living alone, submit monthly meter readings & we will offer you a fixed rate for both until 2013" when the DD doubled I phoned & complained & was told "the fixed rate was for then & the price has gone up"!
    7K Posts
    E-ONe-on are theives/conartists:
    recently they doubled my direct debit. 2day I received a letter which states: "our meter reading has given us a reading which shows you're using more gas than we expected" funny that considering I gave them readings last winter before deciding to change from Powergen! Note: they phoned me & said, "you are paying way too much for a single woman in a 1-bed flat, working full time & living alone, submit monthly meter readings & we will offer you a fixed rate for both until 2013" when the DD doubled I phoned & complained & was told "the fixed rate was for then & the price has gone up"!

Yeah, that's a common sales trick to say your DD won't change and under quote just to rope you in,
  • My contract with Scottish Power expires at the end of November and they have emailed me advising of this.
    Today I did some research into the best deals around at the moment.
    My supplier to end of November 2011 was eon and out of curiosity I thought I'd compare my 2010-2011 energy consumption with eon to my S.P. consumption.
    I thought this would be fairly straightforward. I noted my gas and electricity meter readings for the beginning and end of my last 12 months with eon and calculated my METERED consumption. Then I noticed that if I added up the BILLED units, I got different answers. They have billed me for aprox 20% more units than the meter readings suggest.
    For example meter readings indicate 8130kWhr of electrical energy, but I've been billed for a total of 9605kWhr.
    Has any other reader had a similar issue?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcFormer_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi SleeplessinSuffolk

This definitely shouldn't be the case. If based on actual meter readings, the amount of kWh used should match the same number of kWh charged.

Is there any estimates over the period looked at which might have thrown things out?

You say, you looked at the period over the last 12 months of your time with us. Was there a chunk of usage carried over from an earlier bill on to the one looked at?

On the bills, the total usage is stated and then broken down into primary and secondary units. I've sometimes known people add all three together. Not saying this is the case with you but just something to be aware of.

Sorry for all the questions Sleepless. Just trying to understand what might have happened here.

Let me know if you would like me to look into this for you. If we've billed you incorrectly, we'll certainly put this right. Drop an email to the address in my Profile if you prefer.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides