Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here

Options

Comments

• obicat
    obicat Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I cant seem to get this any cheaper than £77.40, and thats by actually swapping trains at Peterborough :rolleyes: I want to go at some point this week, preferably Weds/Thurs time and come back between 5 and 7 days later, so dates are fairly flexible. I dont mind getting the 4am trains either. Its not even that important that I go to Darlington, Thornaby or Middlesbrough or anything else in that general vicinity would be ok.

Am I missing something really obvious? I cant even seem to find out which stations the trains go through :o
  • d_peppa
    Options
    hi all, im looking for a low cost single journey on saturday 29th august from london to stoke on trent or derby, as im going to the alton towers theme park. I'll be travelling from 8:00am and 3 adults will be travelling, 1 holds a 16-25 railcard. Ive tried searching virgin trains and east midlands trains and they're quoting a total of £142 for 3 adults, surely that can't be right! Need your help, much appreciated
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2009 at 10:27PM
    Options
    d_peppa wrote: »
    hi all, im looking for a low cost single journey on saturday 29th august from london to stoke on trent or derby, as im going to the alton towers theme park. I'll be travelling from 8:00am and 3 adults will be travelling, 1 holds a 16-25 railcard. Ive tried searching virgin trains and east midlands trains and they're quoting a total of £142 for 3 adults, surely that can't be right! Need your help, much appreciated

Nope it's not right - that's an anytime ticket - well standard off peak anyway

£18.60 advance single on say the 0624 or 0746 London Midland trains from Euston to Stoke. That's for all of you, not each. It IS a slow journey (no Virgin trains by the look of it) so you might need to leave earlier than you had hoped.

Whether Virgin times/fares will be released later I don't know - they are listed as not released for that weekend
  • savingthepennies
    Options
    good news, while on my quest for an easier way to split tickets i found this website, splityourticket.co.uk.
    i've had a look through and it looks good. enter your journey details and it tells you split ticket details.
  • savingthepennies
    Options
    good news, while on my quest for an easier way to split tickets i found this website, splityourticket.co.uk.
    i've had a look through and it looks good. enter your journey details and it tells you split ticket details.

Just found another split ticket search engine, much better than split your ticket.

www. splitfare.co.uk

Very simple to use, just enter journey details and it will tell you if any splits are available and if so, which is the cheapest.

Just booked an edinburgh to leeds for £31.40 and the cheapest i've found is £75.60.
  • beanieboy01
    beanieboy01 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    just been on splitfare ...looks good
  • beanieboy01
    beanieboy01 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    splityourticket doesnt tell u anything .
  • frjack_2
    frjack_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Booked for Wigan to Burton on Trent (picking up a new motorbike). Booking the whole thing would have been £31.70, but splitting at Birmingham (the change station), got it down to £22.60. Saved £9.10!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a good saving frjack. Thanks for posting.

Did you realise that that journey can be done as little as £10.50 using an Advance Single ticket? And that's as soon as tomorrow. The down-side is that you must travel on the booked train, and of course the time may not be suitable for you.

:beer:
  • minerva_windsong
    minerva_windsong Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone tried to get a split ticket for Preston to Grantham? I need one to go to my boyfriend's dad's house for the weekend at the end of July (the 24th to the 26th) and so far am having no joy - the non-split return is working out waaay cheaper than the singles!

Is it a lost cause or should I keep going? I'm currently splitting at Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds (where I'd have to change trains anyway) but am now wondering if a split at York is worth it...
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure