PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

So OS that it's sad?

dandy-candy
dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 August 2011 at 3:09PM in Old style MoneySaving
Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!

The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...

I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...

At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...

My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"

Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• silvermaid
    silvermaid Posts: 643 Forumite
    Hi Dandy
    Your holiday buys sound great.
    I have found a shop in Exeter that sells "peg-dolly" pegs, which is what I like to use.
    Most times I go to Exeter - two or three times a year, I check my peg status to see if I need a top-up:(
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx :laugh:
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what are camphor tablets?
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • i have brought back pegs and a toilet brush from tesco in thailand
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2011 at 10:36AM
    Silvermaid I have never used dolly pegs for hanging washing, only for making peg dolls - are they any good?
    mmmsnow wrote: »
    First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    Wow mine weren't that cheap, but at 25 cents a bar I still thought they were worth having :)
    quintwins wrote: »
    what are camphor tablets?

Camphor is a waxy substance from trees in India that is tradtionally used for mothballs, but has other uses too. The tablets are just the shape it's pressed into. I have loads of old books that often refer to using it but I could never find it in shops here, most mothballs sold nowadays are made of other chemicals.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I am just the same as you DC and always like to mitigate the very high cost of the holiday with a few bargains, and I am just off for a weekend away (UK) and I'm already looking forward to the charity shops en route! It's so expensive now to drive further than my local town for shopping that it's quite a treat to be looking at different shops.

I found the exchange rate for the Euro now makes most potential purchases ott.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DC I don't blame you; if I were to find a household item on holiday that I had difficulty getting at home, I'd stock up, too.

I bought a butter dish in Holland a few years ago because I'd been unable to get exactly what I wanted here, and I saw one that was perfect while we were on holiday.

I've also bought hankies from a market in Maldegem; Mr LW and I both had streaming colds, and the market had lovely mens' hankies, with a proper border, so we bought a load (I use mens' hankies too, as womens' aren't big enough to cope when I get a cold).
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    We brought a broom head back from Teneriffe at my DH's insistence!
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Loving this thread! I buy olive oil soap from H&B but it's about £1. I use it for washing me though, not clothes. I remember seeing huge bars of it when we lived in Suffolk but can't remember where.
    Waiting to hear what others bring back from hols
    W
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!
    The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...
    I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...
    At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...
    My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"
    Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!
    not sad at all thats enterprising lol

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport