New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

So OS that it's sad?

edited 9 August 2011 at 3:09PM in Old Style MoneySaving
75 replies 18.1K views
dandy-candydandy-candy Forumite
2.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 9 August 2011 at 3:09PM in Old Style MoneySaving
Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!

The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...

I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...

At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...

My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"

Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• silvermaidsilvermaid Forumite
    643 posts
    Hi Dandy
    Your holiday buys sound great.
    I have found a shop in Exeter that sells "peg-dolly" pegs, which is what I like to use.
    Most times I go to Exeter - two or three times a year, I check my peg status to see if I need a top-up:(
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx :laugh:
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
  • mmmsnowmmmsnow Forumite
    388 posts
    First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    what are camphor tablets?
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • whiteguineapigwhiteguineapig Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i have brought back pegs and a toilet brush from tesco in thailand
  • edited 4 August 2011 at 10:36AM
    dandy-candydandy-candy Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 August 2011 at 10:36AM
    Silvermaid I have never used dolly pegs for hanging washing, only for making peg dolls - are they any good?
    mmmsnow wrote: »
    First time I was in Greece, I saw the olive oil soap (it was 10 cents for a bar and back then, the Euro was at 1.44!) and I "stocked up". That was 2003 and I still have some left!
    Wow mine weren't that cheap, but at 25 cents a bar I still thought they were worth having :)
    quintwins wrote: »
    what are camphor tablets?

Camphor is a waxy substance from trees in India that is tradtionally used for mothballs, but has other uses too. The tablets are just the shape it's pressed into. I have loads of old books that often refer to using it but I could never find it in shops here, most mothballs sold nowadays are made of other chemicals.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I am just the same as you DC and always like to mitigate the very high cost of the holiday with a few bargains, and I am just off for a weekend away (UK) and I'm already looking forward to the charity shops en route! It's so expensive now to drive further than my local town for shopping that it's quite a treat to be looking at different shops.

I found the exchange rate for the Euro now makes most potential purchases ott.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • LameWolfLameWolf Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DC I don't blame you; if I were to find a household item on holiday that I had difficulty getting at home, I'd stock up, too.

I bought a butter dish in Holland a few years ago because I'd been unable to get exactly what I wanted here, and I saw one that was perfect while we were on holiday.

I've also bought hankies from a market in Maldegem; Mr LW and I both had streaming colds, and the market had lovely mens' hankies, with a proper border, so we bought a load (I use mens' hankies too, as womens' aren't big enough to cope when I get a cold).
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • We brought a broom head back from Teneriffe at my DH's insistence!

• wmfwmf Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this thread! I buy olive oil soap from H&B but it's about £1. I use it for washing me though, not clothes. I remember seeing huge bars of it when we lived in Suffolk but can't remember where.
    Waiting to hear what others bring back from hols
    W
  • robpw2robpw2 Forumite
    14K posts
    Well we just came back from a week in Kefalonia and although I managed to relax and read while being computer free, my OS bargain hunting was still in full flow!
    The local mini mart did the most fantastic washing pegs I have seen, really solid thick plastic with strong metal spring and 24 in a pack for 90 cents!! I bought 6 packs to bring home...
    I went into a supermarket and they did real camphor tablets which I never see in England anymore so 3 packs of them went into the trolley...
    At the cornershop they sold traditional olive oil household soap that you could use for washing clothes and scrubbing the house, so I bought 8 bars...
    My DH was just shaking his head and said "I'm not telling anyone what you bought back from holiday"
    Oh dear have I really become such a saddo? The thing is i'm still dead chuffed with my finds - I must be completely brain washed!
    not sad at all thats enterprising lol

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April