Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

So OS that it's sad? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

So OS that it's sad?

edited 9 August 2011 at 2:09PM in Old Style MoneySaving
75 replies 18.1K views

Replies

• lickylonglipslickylonglips Forumite
    349 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    in currently in spain (bilbao) for a month and have been scoping out the shops. am going to be bringing home lots of dried lentils and beans (as usual), some paprika, some children's books in spanish (i'm a teacher in england) and whatever else seems baergainlicious!
  • lickylonglipslickylonglips Forumite
    349 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i'm also hoping to find some cheapy olive oil soap, too, but haven't any particularly cheap yet
  • Philippa36Philippa36 Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I brought back two very large tubs of halva from Cyprus bought in the newly opened Aldi! If only I could buy it here for the same price, I'd be in heaven :p

On our last US visit we brought quite a bit of food home including very brightly coloured cereals and marshmallow fluff for DS and DD (21 &19!).

We're off to Marrakech in September and I can't wait to see what bargains we find to bring home.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    we brought DD home in my tummy from Spain LOL

How wonderful, best thing you will ever have.
    Slimming World at target
  • Haven't been abroad for quite a few years now, but when the exchange rate was good, I've been known to bring back bedding and a rug from the US, plus muffin tins (before you could get them so readily over here) all at a fraction of UK prices.)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • sans_2sans_2 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    In 2008 -Florida- i brought back remaining large roll of tape we used for taping something up which my DH had said to leave behind. Got a huge tub of own brand vaseline from Dollar store which I still have. Also a couple of sheets of craft stickers/gift bags from Dollar store. Socks from Walmart as they were cheap.

Spain - have brought back dried spices, ground coffee and other random died stuff years ago when exchange rate was ok

In 2007 - New York, cheap buggy from Kmart as we needed it at the time and shame to discard after 10 days.
    Tesco points: 101 (£21.50, £19.50, £7.50, £21 & £5)
    Boots points: £0.28
    Pigsback points: 715 (4 xBoots£10 & 1 xPizzaHut£10, 2 x £10 clothing vouchers)
    Mutual points: 3417 (redeemed 8250)
    Rpoints:redeemed 28925 points)Cashbag:£8.91(£20)
  • MaitaneMaitane Forumite
    360 posts
    have you tried it in a sandwich with nutella? its really really good :)

Not yet but I might just risk the hypergylcaemic coma to try it! Drooooool.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Uniscots97Uniscots97 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm also hoping to find some cheapy olive oil soap, too, but haven't any particularly cheap yet

where abouts in Blackpool are you? There's 2 markets off Waterloo road (where the big Shoemarket is) and they both keep olive oil soap for about 60pish a bar (one of the markets keeps all the hotel/airline style toiletry items as well very cheap, its tucked right at the back of the market).
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Philippa36 wrote: »
    I brought back two very large tubs of halva from Cyprus bought in the newly opened Aldi! If only I could buy it here for the same price, I'd be in heaven :p

I love halva and brought back some tins of the stuff from Tunisia,it was so cheap about 45p for a huge tin of it.
  • jools27_2jools27_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I can highly recommend fluff and peanut butter sandwiches!!!
    RIP Iain
    13/11/63-22/12/12