Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article

in Energy
132 replies 55.8K views

Replies

• Terrylw1Terrylw1 Forumite
    7K Posts
    I own a flat in Wakefield and a recent tenant had a pre-pay meter installed under a warrant without my consent, which is against the terms of her tenancy agreement (probably the same with all such agreements). She's now gone and I have repaid her deposit in full because my letting agent didn't know about the meter. They now know to check in future!

My new tenants do not want a pre-pay meter and have asked me to have it removed, but I can't because my name is not on the Electricity account. They will have to do it, and say SP will charge them £120, unless they undergo a credit check, which could reduce the cost to £45.91 (why 91p?). However, it could be higher if they don't have a clean credit history. SP would not talk to me about the issue ...Data Protection! Yet, they will enter a property and change a meter without checking if the lease/agreement allows it. :mad:

The lady at SP was adamant about paying to change the meter, and said I could not complain because they haven't done anything wrong. The problem apparently is between me and the previous tenant, and as she has disappeared, I will have to pick up the cost.

When I asked about switching, SP said every other supplier will charge to change the meter, so not worth switching, but there are some on here suggesting certain suppliers are more accommodating.

BG seems to look good, then suddenly they're not. Ebico & Scottish Hydro seem to come over well. What are the facts?

I would like to advise my tenant to kick SP into touch. Can anyone please confirm categorically which supplier(s) won't charge to change the meter AND also offer a competitive tariff?

As the landlord, you are fully liable for the supply between your tenants. So, the supplier should be setting up an account in your name and any standing charges are yours. This will allow you to do what you need to.

In your tenancy agreements, do you state that the tenants are responsible for the utilities? If so, they are liable to the supplier and in a debt situation, the supplier can obtain a Rights Of Entry warrant under the Utilities Act. No tenancy agreement can override these terms set by the act.

In terms of the PPM, yes, its unfair on the next tenants but the supplier is allowed to charge. This I don't agree with but Ofgem are the ones to blame for allowing new customers (even with good credit histories) to be branded with the failings of the previous tenant just because they inherit it.

Threatening to switch can encourage fees to be waived or suggesting you will switch if the new supplier will change it.

Have a look at this article.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Given all the horror stories about getting off of prepayment meter I really wasn't expecting to have any success.

I was on prepayment meter with e.On as my girlfriend had got into debt with them prior to me moving in, although this was down to them not taking the correct direct debit amount and then trying to charge her £800 in one go! Seems to happen a lot with e.On.....

Anyway, after three expensive years we finally paid off the debt and rang e.on to change meter. The first time we rang we were told that we would have to pay £200 to change meters which we couldn't afford at the time. A couple of months later we took a loan out to do some home improvements and decided to use some of the money to pay the £200. However e.On then told us that it was impossible to change to direct debit meter as we were obviously bad payers and that is why we were on pay as you go in the first place!!

At this point I was beginning to think that we would never get off prepayment meter as the alternative cheapest suppliers that I rang (Swalec, Ovo and Scottish Power) all said they wouldn't take us on a prepayment meter. So I had a look on uSwitch to see if there was anybody who had a cheaper prepayment tariff and EDF came up as being £75 a year cheaper - not a massive saving but at this stage I just wanted away from e.On. So I switched online to EDF using uSwitch (very easy to do by they way - impressive!!).

Three weeks later I had my supply switched to EDF. Another three weeks later I called EDF for some information and asked if they would be able to put us on credit meter and I was told "of course when would you like that doing?". No charges or anything!!:T

So I'm now just waiting for an egineer to come and swap my meters out and I'll be saving around £250 a year compared to e.On!! EDF have saved the day:A
    Money Saving Digital Marketer
  • edited 30 August 2012 at 12:08AM
    oojimmyflipoojimmyflip Forumite
    13 Posts
    edited 30 August 2012 at 12:08AM
    I have just had my projected gas estimate in with a pre-pay statement for the last six months, BG reckon my next 12 month bill for a gas centrally heated 2 bed semi with a gas cooker will be £402 for the next 12 months that's not expensive for this day and age BG standard gas Tarriff pre-pay customers pay the same as people who prefer to recieve paper bills around 3.8% more than D/D customers.
    I like my pre-pay meters and had them installed 14 years ago because I like the idea of my bills being paid rather than stacking up and then recieving a big bill. you dont have to be in debt to have a pre-pay meter, just over £40 a month to heat and cook for a year in a semi detached house thats pretty good going why would I want to change to a credit meter, they seem much more hassle to manage than my pre-pay meters and during the summer months I don't need to feed them quite so much money. whilst your D/Debits are always paying in the same amount constantly no matter how warm the weather is. :rotfl:
  • Horses for courses, oojimmyflip - I've had a credit electricity meter and prepay gas meter in my flat since I moved in, and found the prepay one to be a pain. I have to remember to go to a cash machine (and free-to-use ones are fairly rare round these parts), and then down to the shop to do the top-up. The Direct Debit for my electricity is predictable, and I can call and ask them to change it if it's not quite the right amount.

In fact, Southern Energy (Ebico's supply partner) automatically refunded me the amount I'd gone into credit after the first year with them. It wasn't that much, but it was a nice surprise when I called up to demand they refunded it - only to be told they'd already done it a few days previously.

Anyhow, I finally got fed up with the prepay gas meter, and called British Gas to get it changed. It took several calls, firstly to get me added to the account (which was originally in my girlfriend's name only), pass a credit check, then wait in for three appointments (we had to do a bit of DIY, as the previous tenants had built a cupboard around the meter), and as of yesterday we have a nice shiny new credit meter with a strangely satisfying 0m³ on the clock.

They didn't charge us for it, and I'm hoping they won't when I switch to another supplier next week!
  • qbazdzqbazdz Forumite
    140 Posts
    Anyone had a npower credit meter fitted for free here? I'm on prepayment with EDF at the moment and despite horrible CS I'm htinking about moving to npower but on credit... EDF already said they would do it no problem and for free but I'd rather have it fitted by npower so there is no problems with changing over etc...
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    qbazdz wrote: »
    Anyone had a npower credit meter fitted for free here? I'm on prepayment with EDF at the moment and despite horrible CS I'm htinking about moving to npower but on credit... EDF already said they would do it no problem and for free but I'd rather have it fitted by npower so there is no problems with changing over etc...

If you want a credit meter and EDF have offered to fit one for you for free, I would take up their offer if I were you.

nPower would credit check you (so you may or may not pass) and then probably charge you £60 to change the meter.

If you get the meter changed by EDF, you can then switch to nPower if you prefer them to supply you :)
  • qbazdzqbazdz Forumite
    140 Posts
    I know I can do that, but just didn't want to be an a*** ;)
    Ccheck is not a problem but I guess I'd take your advice - won't the credit meters need to be changed (they all got stickers now... property of bla bla bla...)?
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    qbazdz wrote: »
    I know I can do that, but just didn't want to be an a*** ;)
    Ccheck is not a problem but I guess I'd take your advice - won't the credit meters need to be changed (they all got stickers now... property of bla bla bla...)?

Don't worry about being an a***, I'm sure the supplier won't care. Otherwise it'll cost you 60 quid.

How do you know whether or not an nPower credit check will be an issue? (unless you have some inside information as to how nPower will credit check you)

Meters are not changed when you change supplier. They will still remain the property of bla bla bla (which won't be either supplier) :)
  • qbazdzqbazdz Forumite
    140 Posts
    Ahh ok :)
    Well, my credit history is almost pristine ;) as I take a good care of it ;) Anyway... time to give EDF a call :).... shouldn't take more than an hour of waiting and to sort out... lol
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I complained to British Gas and won :) I called and was turned down because of a low score so I sent an email complaining and never heard anything, I then sent an email to a different department and two days later I got a call from B.G and a rather nice lady on the phone wanted to arrange an appointment for meter removal. I will now be having my pre payment meters taken out free of charge- they originally wanted over £300 to remove them both, the only thing is she wanted me to pay by direct debit which is cheaper anyway, I really can not wait for a warm house this winter as the council are installing a new heating system and boiler. last winter me and my children wrote our names on the frost on the inside of the windows lol :o)
    What department did you contact. I have also been turned down today as my score with Experian was different at their end. 908 when I logged in and 861 at theirs.....I'm waiting for a guy to ring back after I queried it. If no joy I need to complain. Be good to know which departments are helpful!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 37, Attempting Frugal Living. Became debt free at the end ot 2016. Used savings from becoming debt free to put a deposit on a bungalow last year now working on becoming Mortgage free by overpaying. (without overpayment MFW date is 2036)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides