Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article

in Energy
132 replies 55.8K views

Replies

• edited 23 September 2011 at 8:03AM
    gallygaskinsgallygaskins Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 23 September 2011 at 8:03AM
    British Gas allow you to top up from home via the internet, and provided the electric meter is a KBD style meter, will not apply a standing charge.

KBD?

I'll have to look at the internet top up for BG.

9.02 am - Have just signed up for the topping up pack. You get a 'hub' unit that plugs into the computer USB. Once you've registered it away you go. No more going out on chilly nights, Yippee! Although have to wait up to 28 days to receive the pack - Boo!
  • edited 23 September 2011 at 2:58PM
    Simon949Simon949 Forumite
    17 Posts
    edited 23 September 2011 at 2:58PM
    KBD?

I'll have to look at the internet top up for BG.

9.02 am - Have just signed up for the topping up pack. You get a 'hub' unit that plugs into the computer USB. Once you've registered it away you go. No more going out on chilly nights, Yippee! Although have to wait up to 28 days to receive the pack - Boo!

We have been using the internet top-up with BG for nearly 12 months (I think) and have never had any problems with it. Any time I've rang them with a query the home top-up team have known the answer or have actually rang me back when they have said they would (amazing for BG!!)

They will send a new gas card out but you keep the "key" for electric and topping up is so simple. The only downsides to it are you can ONLY use internet explorer to access the top up site and you can no longer top up at pay zone, if you want to top up off the net it must be at a paypoint retailer.

edit - forgot to mention I signed up online and for some reason the sign up didn't go through, if you did sign up online it might be worth giving them a ring just to make sure
  • Deal is not 12 bottles of wine as hinted by this sites article, it's actually £60 off min spend of £110 when signing up to Virgin wine club. Check other sites first if looking for cashback etc.
  • It seems that E.on are running some kind of scam to claw money in.

I received a letter this morning telling me that my direct debit was rising by 50% although according to their website my usage was only up by 0.1% over the last year and even predicted to go down next year and I'm already in more credit than last year.

They'd already sent a letter stating that electricity prices were rising by 10%, so I called customer services to find out what was going on and why the rise wasn't just the 10%.

The first person I spoke to said my usage was up on last year, but today's letter was wrong my DD should only be rising by 40%, the calculation had been wrong because I was a new customer of 6 years! :mad: - After a load of bizarre haggling I got it down to 35%, but obviously still didn't make any sense but she wasn't going to budge any more (computer says no more)!

Finally spoke with a supervisor who was very apologetic and agreed that the increase should be around 10% and reduced it for me. I pointed out they had tried this on last year and I shouldn't have been in credit now according their calculations then and why did this keep happening.

He then went on to explain that although their bills show 12 equal DD payments per year to cover your annual bill, this is not their policy if they can get away with it. Basically, they calculate your DD payments to try to get you into credit even during the peak months so your always overpaid. He did say that if the credit does get too big they will revise the DD payments down, which is nice of E.on to reduce the payments while they still hold onto your money!

Don't be C.onned by E.on, keep pushing them - in total I was given 4 prices until we got to the 10% and I lost count of the excuses.

Or just switch to OVO as I have today and saved 25% :D on the new E.on price!
  • uSwitch_company_representativeuSwitch_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    140 Posts
    softserv wrote: »
    Deal is not 12 bottles of wine as hinted by this sites article, it's actually £60 off min spend of £110 when signing up to Virgin wine club. Check other sites first if looking for cashback etc.
    Hi softserv,

The voucher you got is one we send to all customers who switch. The voucher for 12 free bottles of wine is a totally separate offer - the reason you didn't get it is because unfortunately it's only available to people who pay for the gas and electricity by Direct Debit.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks

Lauren
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of uSwitch. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I've just rung BG to arrange to switch from pre-payment to normal meters on both gas and electric.

She did a credit check whilst I was on the phone with her and booked an appointment for the engineer to come and change the meters. No Fee!
    28 days after the meters are fitted I need to ring them and set up the direct debit!
    Easy!
    Then I can look around for the best deal.

Result.:j
  • Hi, we swapped to npower over a year ago on prepayment as we were told we could get credit meters after a year. Now they say they want £60 each meter to swap. I think this is a cheek as we have been customers for a year and we wont pass credit check with anyother supplier so cant swap again. Feel trapped. Any ideas on how we can get npower to give it to us free? many thanks.
  • I am with scottish power i have a prepayment meter, I phoned them the other day to ask if i could have a credit meter. They said i would have to pay £200 to have meter changed so i would be better keeping the meter i already have.
  • edited 5 January 2012 at 6:12PM
    anfa34anfa34 Forumite
    3 Posts
    edited 5 January 2012 at 6:12PM
    :rotfl:Thank you so much Weavadribbon , I've never heard of this company (EBICO) and am now saving £200 per year, £150ish standing charge and £50 electric with them. The gas is 1p more than I was paying, but that far out ways the standing charge of 35p per day with NPower.
  • Just got off the phone with British Gas: They run a cedit check as standard. If you fail its a straight NO. Security deposits will not be taken, supposedly this ended in November 2011 however they were still telling people they could get switched by paying a deposit in Dec 2011 and according to few posts in forums some people are still being given false info.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides