Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article

in Energy
132 replies 55.8K views

Replies

• Hi, The deposit with BG was £500 for gas and electric, you get it back after a year with interest, but very few who have a pre-payment meter can afford that kind of out lay. I moved to N,power and they want £60 per meter, and I was going to change, then found out about EBICO (no standing charge) you pay the same as someone who has credit meters for gas and elec, and I will never get behind or conned by the bigger company's, who when I had paid my final bill (moved house) sent me another bill saying I owed then £80, It took 2 months for them to give me the money back and say it was there mistake.
  • Hi, I just wanted to ask a few questions about British Gas pre-payment meters for ELECTRICITY (I am on DD for gas).
    I have been doing a few sums to see how much I have been paying as it seems really high. I put £20 on on 3rd Jan, £20 on on 13th Jan and today I will have to put more on as it is running low. Thats £40 in 16 days. By the time the end of the month is here I will have paid another £30 - £40 making my monthly total £80 (ish) for electricity only (on top of £50 DD for gas) I have worked this out to be about £2.50 per day which seems a lot. I have contacted British Gas who didn't really have any answers as to why it's so much except that it's winter.
    I asked them if I am charged a daily amount for having a meter to which they said no I'm not, and they also say that the amount charged per unit is the same rate as for non pre-payment meters. I have heard recently that they have cut their prices to supposedly the lowest electricity prices available. They have tried to get me to switch to an online tariff but I am reluctant to switch to direct debit if it's no cheaper and they could change the amount without telling me.
    The house is gas central heating with a gas oven but we do have a couple of electric heaters as well (as one room has no GCH). It is just my partner and I sharing, no kids, no-one else to leave things on etc - we never leave things on stand by, switch all lights off when not in rooms etc and are generally very careful. I just wanted to know if anyone else pays this much, and any advice. Thanks :)
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magenta008 wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to ask a few questions about British Gas pre-payment meters for ELECTRICITY (I am on DD for gas).
    I have been doing a few sums to see how much I have been paying as it seems really high. I put £20 on on 3rd Jan, £20 on on 13th Jan and today I will have to put more on as it is running low. Thats £40 in 16 days. By the time the end of the month is here I will have paid another £30 - £40 making my monthly total £80 (ish) for electricity only (on top of £50 DD for gas) I have worked this out to be about £2.50 per day which seems a lot. I have contacted British Gas who didn't really have any answers as to why it's so much except that it's winter.
    I asked them if I am charged a daily amount for having a meter to which they said no I'm not, and they also say that the amount charged per unit is the same rate as for non pre-payment meters. I have heard recently that they have cut their prices to supposedly the lowest electricity prices available. They have tried to get me to switch to an online tariff but I am reluctant to switch to direct debit if it's no cheaper and they could change the amount without telling me.
    The house is gas central heating with a gas oven but we do have a couple of electric heaters as well (as one room has no GCH). It is just my partner and I sharing, no kids, no-one else to leave things on etc - we never leave things on stand by, switch all lights off when not in rooms etc and are generally very careful. I just wanted to know if anyone else pays this much, and any advice. Thanks :)
    Your maths are wrong. £20 lasts you 10 days which is £60 a month. £2 a day. Could be about 12kWh a day which is quite reasonable for a prepay meter for January.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • forty2forty2 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Just a quick bug report regarding the page - the link in the following sentence doesn't work:

"If you think a credit meter is right for you - follow these steps - if not, jump to Step 3: Switch to a cheaper provider."

I'm guessing the link should be "#prepay" and not "#switch"

Hope that helps
  • I have just had an interesting conversation with Eon.

Some years ago, for reasons I won't go into, I built up a debt on my standard meter.

A prepayment meter was installed under warrant. My life is back on track and the debt has been paid off for some time now and my account is in credit.

Eon have just told me they will never allow me to revert back to a standard meter.

So in their eyes and others once a debtor........

I cannot think this is justice or fair. I have paid my debt and now want to enjoy consumer choice and get a better deal for my family....so what do I do now?

I have sent an email with the same request and I await the reply so I have it in writing.

Advice gratefully received
    Best wishes
  • Thought I'd bite the bullet and try to get off my awful pre-payment meter. Phoned EDF and said I wanted to change both my gas and electric from pre-payment to credit meters. Straight away he said ok as long as I had no debt which i hadn't. Within 5 mins i had dates for new meter installations and all free of charge so give them a go and good luck. I am hoping to save hundreds of pounds.:j:j:j
  • FranFran Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight away he said ok as long as I had no debt
    That's great!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • TtimeTtime Forumite
    1 Post
    I'm not encouraged by this. When I was more or less forced to take a pre payment meter by Scottish power (at the time I couldn't set up a DD) I was not told that it would cost anything to have it removed. They also did the thing about hitting me with a bill because the meter didn't update. I really want to change to a monthly DD.
  • Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had a success story from changing from a supplier on prepayment meter, to a new supplier who has removed the old prepayment meters and put new credit ones in.

We're with E.on and struggling to change to a credit meter, but the cheapest company in our area won't provide us with a credit meter at all.

We've got two young children and I resent paying Eons prices when I could save over £300 a year by changing to a credit meter with someone else!!
    Money Saving Digital Marketer
  • Hi there, moving house so I've rung Scottish Hydro to arrange to switch my accounts and the existing pre-payment meters in my new house to normal meters on both gas and electric.

I was initially told there would be a charge of £52 per meter.

I advised the young lady, I would call around to see if I could get this done for free

The young lady just called me back to tell me after speaking to her manager they could do it for free.

Scottish Hydro's customer service really is 1st class
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES