Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article

in Energy
132 replies 55.7K views

Replies

• Terrylw1Terrylw1 Forumite
    7K Posts
    Hi there, moving house so I've rung Scottish Hydro to arrange to switch my accounts and the existing pre-payment meters in my new house to normal meters on both gas and electric.

I was initially told there would be a charge of £52 per meter.

I advised the young lady, I would call around to see if I could get this done for free

The young lady just called me back to tell me after speaking to her manager they could do it for free.

Scottish Hydro's customer service really is 1st class

Just goes to show how important those charges were to them...just trying to catch out customers who don't stand up for themselves...
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • edited 26 June 2012 at 7:55PM
    vreemtvreemt Forumite
    42 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2012 at 7:55PM
    I tried getting free credit meters as just moved into a house which (at our surprise - as we asked when we viewed, should've actually asked to see the meters but the old tenants were still around so bit reluctant) has prepaid meters. They're with Scottish Power, which is cheap-ish, but since we'd really like credit meters I've rang npower who said it'd cost 60 pounds per meter (gas and elec each, so 120 total) - I did tell them I'd be calling other suppliers then and was advised it'd be unlikely I'd find a free installation service. Then I called British Gas who were kind enough to ring me back as I was using a mobile, even though I did the silly thing of going direct (instead of via here/comparison etc) they will hopefully install credit meters for free but we'd need to swap to their prepay meters first, so they should hopefully sort that out within 5 weeks. After that it should be a quick credit check over the phone and then free credit meters. No idea about how long we then need to stay with them before we can switch again.
    I'll try to remember to post the numbers we're on now, but I think the standing charges are possibly about what we'd usually use in a day in total, so credit meters should make a huge difference (;
    7K Posts
    vreemt wrote: »
    I tried getting free credit meters as just moved into a house which (at our surprise - as we asked when we viewed, should've actually asked to see the meters but the old tenants were still around so bit reluctant) has prepaid meters. They're with Scottish Power, which is cheap-ish, but since we'd really like credit meters I've rang npower who said it'd cost 60 pounds per meter (gas and elec each, so 120 total) - I did tell them I'd be calling other suppliers then and was advised it'd be unlikely I'd find a free installation service. Then I called British Gas who were kind enough to ring me back as I was using a mobile, even though I did the silly thing of going direct (instead of via here/comparison etc) they will hopefully install credit meters for free but we'd need to swap to their prepay meters first, so they should hopefully sort that out within 5 weeks. After that it should be a quick credit check over the phone and then free credit meters. No idea about how long we then need to stay with them before we can switch again.
    I'll try to remember to post the numbers we're on now, but I think the standing charges are possibly about what we'd usually use in a day in total, so credit meters should make a huge difference (;

Why are they swapping the meters out? The ones there already will be fine.

I suggest checking this because some time ago Bgas were fitting meters that other suppliers couldn't use, hence the customer was inconvenienced by a further change when switching away from Bgas.

You could ask, "so why are you going to pay for 2 engineers to come out to change these meters, then maybe change them again to credit...free,

Surely Bgas don't want to pay twice?

Sounds like a dodgy call centre advisor to me...
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • SwanJonSwanJon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terry - I think you've misunderstood. I read it as they need to swap the supply over on prepayment, then exchange the meters - nothing dodgy at all.
    7K Posts
    SwanJon wrote: »
    Terry - I think you've misunderstood. I read it as they need to swap the supply over on prepayment, then exchange the meters - nothing dodgy at all.

Yeah, could be how its written, good point Swanjon.

I just remember when Bgas were getting UU to fit loads of PPM's and there was a problem in some suppliers using them. Its way back though, I can't remember why they couldn't...
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think that one was part of the change to key meters nationwide - some suppliers were not ready to drop the local PPMIP so exchanged the meter back to token/smartcards.
    Now there is a similar issue with smart meters (although not so much in prepayment).
  • FranFran Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting my pre-payment meter removed free and with no deposit needed from Scottish Power. Thank you Scottish Power! :)

Some of my reasons were my age, wearing glasses some of the time, going out in ice, snow, flood, no street lights and distance to nearest shop (which closes at 6pm anyway). I was asked if there were any health reasons and cited my sight, particularly in the dark. I was offered a device to attach to my computer to make payments from inside the house but my Internet is not always reliable and what if the computer wasn't working? I had to agree to direct debit.

I'm really pleased about this as the meter was there when I moved in and I hate the anxiety of wondering how near to cutting out the electricity is and having to remember to take that stupid key out with to get it topped up. I've been with them about a year.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • hi people's,
    just wondering if anyone's had any dealings with utilita,had a woman today trying to get me to change my prepayment metre from bg to them.I've never heard of them,but got 14 days to cancel,any advice will be gratefully received.I know prepayment is more expensive but it helps me keep on track and not receive horrendous bills.Many thanks.:)
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look around - Check your consumption on a comparison site.

They use a different type of prepayment meter - similar to the one used in Northern Ireland. It means you can top up by phone/web/text (I think).
    Unlike other suppliers they have a 12 month minimum term (not one with exit fees) so if you go to them bear that in mind.
  • I own a flat in Wakefield and a recent tenant had a pre-pay meter installed under a warrant without my consent, which is against the terms of her tenancy agreement (probably the same with all such agreements). She's now gone and I have repaid her deposit in full because my letting agent didn't know about the meter. They now know to check in future!

My new tenants do not want a pre-pay meter and have asked me to have it removed, but I can't because my name is not on the Electricity account. They will have to do it, and say SP will charge them £120, unless they undergo a credit check, which could reduce the cost to £45.91 (why 91p?). However, it could be higher if they don't have a clean credit history. SP would not talk to me about the issue ...Data Protection! Yet, they will enter a property and change a meter without checking if the lease/agreement allows it. :mad:

The lady at SP was adamant about paying to change the meter, and said I could not complain because they haven't done anything wrong. The problem apparently is between me and the previous tenant, and as she has disappeared, I will have to pick up the cost.

When I asked about switching, SP said every other supplier will charge to change the meter, so not worth switching, but there are some on here suggesting certain suppliers are more accommodating.

BG seems to look good, then suddenly they're not. Ebico & Scottish Hydro seem to come over well. What are the facts?

I would like to advise my tenant to kick SP into touch. Can anyone please confirm categorically which supplier(s) won't charge to change the meter AND also offer a competitive tariff?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides