Check your driving licence discussion

Options

Comments

• elcalonbrizy
    Options
    My driving license runs out whilst I'm still on holiday in Spain, and will be 3 weeks out of date by the time I return to the UK. So, from what's been posted, there wouldn't be a problem here in the UK, but I don't think that the Guardia Civil, Trafico would be impressed. They stop you randomly, ( and in our area it's a training ground ). My question is, can you renew before your renewal date ?
    Just curious
  • matchmade
    matchmade Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I have a paper license and have never had a problem using it to hire a car or van in the UK or in Europe or in the US. Of course the address is long out of date, but no one seems to mind, so I let sleeping dogs lie.

If I were feeling self-righteous I'd also say that these photocards and regular renewals whenever you change address etc etc is just an identity card by the back door. The Government has thankfully cancelled the identity card project, saving us all a fortune both in setup costs and ongoing"charges", which like the passport system was set to be a total ripoff, all in the name of "security" and feather-bedding the salaries and pensions of a bunch of clerks and bureaucrats at the likes of the Passport Office and DVLA. It is therefore important that British citizens *not* cooperate with the driving licence zealots and do the absolute minimum required, with plenty of obfuscation, "forgetting" and generally being bloody-minded!
  • AnythingButChardonnay
    Options
    My driving license runs out whilst I'm still on holiday in Spain, and will be 3 weeks out of date by the time I return to the UK. So, from what's been posted, there wouldn't be a problem here in the UK, but I don't think that the Guardia Civil, Trafico would be impressed. They stop you randomly, ( and in our area it's a training ground ). My question is, can you renew before your renewal date ?
    Just curious

Yes you can, but the miserable gits steal any remaining days/weeks from the validity of the photo.
    matchmade wrote:
    I have a paper license and have never had a problem using it to hire a car or van in the UK or in Europe or in the US. Of course the address is long out of date, but no one seems to mind, so I let sleeping dogs lie.

If I were feeling self-righteous I'd also say that these photocards and regular renewals whenever you change address etc etc is just an identity card by the back door. The Government has thankfully cancelled the identity card project, saving us all a fortune both in setup costs and ongoing"charges", which like the passport system was set to be a total ripoff, all in the name of "security" and feather-bedding the salaries and pensions of a bunch of clerks and bureaucrats at the likes of the Passport Office and DVLA. It is therefore important that British citizens *not* cooperate with the driving licence zealots and do the absolute minimum required, with plenty of obfuscation, "forgetting" and generally being bloody-minded!

Couldn't agree more. Although the whole photocard licence thing is an EU requirement rather than anything the (last) government brought in of their own accord, they certainly seemed quite happy to go along with it. Perhaps to get us used to the idea of ID cards (which oddly enough the EU is also very keen on!)

If the UK government were willing, Our Masters in Brussels would kindly let us renew our photos every 15 years rather than every 10. But I suppose the argument is that the photo on your passport, which can also be used for your licence, may already be 5 years old when it's used.
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Judging from some of the other posts on this thread, I wouldn't have thought there'd be much fuss from DVLA if you renew the next one late to make up for it ;)

Suze

cov_lad wrote: »
    I renewed my photo like a good boy shortly after receiving my reminder so about 3 weeks before it actually expired and when the new photocard arrived the start date was and therefore the next renewal date is shorter by 3 weeks, phoned them and they couldn't give a damn about it I know its 3 weeks in 10 years but its the principle of it, why have I lost the last 3 weeks of my last photocard.
    So whatever you do, do not send it in before the expiry date
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • commonrustic
    Options
    When you have filled in all the items on the application form to renew your photo (and they are collecting a huge set of personal details there), they tell you it will take three weeks for the new licence to arrive, but also that you should now return your existing licence (both parts) to them. Do they not appreciate that people might need their licence during those three weeks? I am going abroad in a few days' time, and will need to present my licence when I pick up a hire car. Is the despatch of my new licence dependent on their having received my old one?
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just got a new photocard and I think DVLA messed up as they sent my cheque back, but I'm not complaining!

I moved house two years ago but never bothered telling them and got married a few months ago and took hubby's name. I had also exchanged my photocard for a foreign licence so needed to swap it back for a UK one. Photo expired in June.

So I duly sent it all off a few weeks ago with a £20 fee for changing the photo (address and name change being free) - the £50 fee for exchanging for a foreign licence thankfully didn't apply as I'd previously had a UK photocard.

I didn't bother having a new photo taken. I had three left over from when I renewed my passport five years ago, so I just sent them one of those.

They sent the fee and my marriage cert back with a letter saying that my new photocard would be in the post soon, and it was :D I'd renewed it a bit later than the expiry of my old photocard and they didn't say anything about that.

I hope they abolish the renewal fee but I can't see it happening myself.

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AnythingButChardonnay
    Options
    When you have filled in all the items on the application form to renew your photo (and they are collecting a huge set of personal details there), they tell you it will take three weeks for the new licence to arrive, but also that you should now return your existing licence (both parts) to them. Do they not appreciate that people might need their licence during those three weeks? I am going abroad in a few days' time, and will need to present my licence when I pick up a hire car. Is the despatch of my new licence dependent on their having received my old one?

It shouldn't be dependent on your returning your old licence.

Many people 'lose' their licence before sending it off to the DVLA anyway, both for that reason and also because of the horror stories of entitlements being removed. That way, if the DVLA screw up, you can 'find' your old licence to prove you used to have those entitlements.

They only insist on the old licence being sent because having two licences in your possession simultaneously is naughty.
  • Taffy99
    Taffy99 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Why is the MoneySavingExpert helping the DVLA scare monger and revenue collect?

For most, Your driving licence does NOT expire until you are 70. just the photocard.

Nobody has actually been "fined" by the DVLA for an out-of-date photocard. That would require a court summons.

And there's a reason no one has been fined through the courts - it might go to appeal, and if that happens the DVLA may be on shaky ground.

Hence why you 'may' face a fine, rather than 'will' - the DVLA don't want to risk a court case and losing on a point of law, and suddenly finding themselves in a situation where the general public is aware they do not legally need an in-date photocard (and to hand over a £20 revenue), due to wording of the legislation. :rotfl:

So I do not understand why the MSE article is not more balanced in its views?
  • alanbing
    Options
    I sent in my paper driving licence to the DVLA for a change of address and after many weeks of nothing I queried them. They said that old paper driving licences are destroyed when they are received and I'd need to apply for the new photocard one. I have a US passport for ID and this cannot be verified by a post office worker and said my passport would have to be sent to the DVLA and I would get it back in a few weeks. I work as air crew and being without my passport is impossible. Can anyone think of a way around this hurdle? DVLA apologies, but has no solutions. Thanks!
    Alan
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a very important question re replacement driving licences
    I was forced to spend my hard earned income on replacements about 3 years ago.

I passed my driving test in 1981 but nowhere on the new paper "counterpart" does it mention the fact that I even passed my test or the groups of vehicles that I am entitled to drive - all that it says is "provisional entitlement categories GH" with the date of my 17th birthday to my 70th birthday
    (The plastic card has the groups correctly)
    Is this correct ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure