Check your driving licence discussion

Options

Comments

• topcat9
    topcat9 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May be only a minor point for those choosing not to renew but an expired driving licence won't be accepted by car hire companies. Easily sorted if you know in advance you want to hire a car, but not if you've had a prang and have hire car cover on your insurance. It happened to someone when I was picking up a car recently - he'd no idea his licence had expired and was very unhappy to find he couldn't have a replacement car. They even rang the DVLA to see if something could be done but didn't get anywhere.
    LBM August 2007
    Amount Owed £101,068.35 :(
    Amount Owed March 2012 £13,449.16 :)
    DFD October 2013
  • Cindyloo
    Cindyloo Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2011 at 11:45AM
    Options
    I have a valid UK photo driving licence, i'm going to America in October, will i need any other form of permit to drive over there.?

Thanks
  • pest74
    pest74 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I still have an old paper licence and I've been meaning to upgrade to the photo card one for some time. I got the form etc from the post office but got confused because I also need to change the address...

Apparently if I want to change to a photo one I have to pay but if I only want to change my address its free (or it was when I looked some time ago). Any idea what will happen if I send off a change of address only? I can't get another paper one as they don't issue them any more so do I have to pay for a photo one? If I send off all the info for a photo one without payment and send it as a "change of address" will they issue me a photo one?

This has been bugging me for months so if anyone has done this please let me know what happened!
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cindyloo wrote: »
    I have a valid UK photo driving licence, i'm going to America in October, will i need any other form of permit to drive over there.?

Thanks

Nope driven in the US lots and never once been asked for anything other than the photocard.

They did once have a good laugh at my Dads licence when he had the old paper style one. It had been through the wash a few times and they couldnt believe people could have licences like that in the UK. Hes since updated it to a photocard primarily for that reason!
  • Baalmaiden
    Baalmaiden Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Just to warn those who have a medical condition which requires them to renew their licence more often - my husband has to renew his driving licence every three years because he has type 1 diabetes. He renewed his in 2009 so I thought it would be Ok, but when I checked the photo had not been renewed. The DVLC had not reminded him.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got my reminder and duly went off to post office to get it updated thinking I'd use the photo booth and then send it off. The booth cost £5 for the pictures so I went for the option of them sending it at £4.50 all recorded and tracked and they did the photo included in that price.
  • kingshouse
    kingshouse Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Mine expired last month, never realised until my father who has a motobility car got a letter from them on monday, I'm on his insurance to drive his car if need be, I have been on his motability insurance for 2 months or so, in the letter is stated there was a problem with my licence through DVLA, when I called then they asked for my licence number and advised me it may have taken down the licence number wrong when I called then 2 months ago, yesterday he got another letter saying that I was now not insured to drive his car.
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    Padz wrote: »
    Runs out on 29/7/2011.

Went down to Post Office to renew yesterday.

Lied about having 'lost' photocard part and just gave them the paper bit. Did that because it has been known for licences to come back without the full motorcycle entitlement on it! If that happens to me I will miraculously 'find' the original!!!

Sometimes you have to help government departments to do their jobs properly. <rolleyes>

Best way to cover yourself on your entitlement is to apply for a print out from them using the Data Protection Act.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • LOBSTER
    LOBSTER Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    I've still got the pink one from 1989. Wrong address too, so I suppose I'm up on offer!
  • cov_lad
    cov_lad Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I renewed my photo like a good boy shortly after receiving my reminder so about 3 weeks before it actually expired and when the new photocard arrived the start date was and therefore the next renewal date is shorter by 3 weeks, phoned them and they couldn't give a damn about it I know its 3 weeks in 10 years but its the principle of it, why have I lost the last 3 weeks of my last photocard.
    So whatever you do, do not send it in before the expiry date
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure