Comments

• Ashnook
    Ashnook Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I would but I can't find it.
  • UnderPressure
    UnderPressure Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    Options
    Mine is OK till 2017 but thanks for the reminder :)

TBH what is the problem with the £20 renewal fee? £2 per year hardly breaking the bank is it? I would personally much rather have a moan about the cost of tax, insurance and of course the dirty petrol!

Would you not be in breach of some term in you insurance if your licence is not valid? I don't know for sure but also surely PC Plod would have something to say about it as well if you got pulled over?
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • joshgeake
    Options
    It's always the same though UnderPressure - only £20 for something that until a few years ago never needed to be replaced. Indeed it was only a couple of years ago that they started charging for renewals.

DVLA = ******
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I personally wouldn't risk driving with an expired license. Although, saying that, I've not been pulled over since 2005 and even then the copper didn't check my license.
  • UnderPressure
    UnderPressure Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    Options
    joshgeake wrote: »
    It's always the same though UnderPressure - only £20 for something that until a few years ago never needed to be replaced. Indeed it was only a couple of years ago that they started charging for renewals.

DVLA = ******

I know what you mean and to a certain extent agree with you but I can also understand the need for them to have relative up to date images, fair enough probably nobody here would try anything on but there are thousands that would.

My bigger gripe at the moment is the cost and polava of renrewing ones passport grrrrrrrrrrrr now there is something to have a moan at! For a family of 5 it is almost the cost of a cheap week away!. LOL sorry off topic but in the grand scheme of things there are much much bigger rip offs :)
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joshgeake wrote: »

DVLA = ******

You are not going back far enough - you used to have to renew them every three years at a fee of (I think) £1. That was in the 70s.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I have to renew mine every three years. :(
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • AlunH
    AlunH Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I still have a paper license which I believe is still valid (having sought legal advice) but cannot find anywhere on the directgov or DVLA web-site that directly states this. They only state that paper licenses will no longer be issued.
    I know of someone who was recently stopped by the police for a routine check and told that her paper license was no longer valid due to new European rules which also invalidated her insurance. She has now received a notification to appear in court to receive her fine and points (having already received a guilty notice).
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    AlunH wrote: »
    I still have a paper license which I believe is still valid (having sought legal advice) but cannot find anywhere on the directgov or DVLA web-site that directly states this. They only state that paper licenses will no longer be issued.
    I know of someone who was recently stopped by the police for a routine check and told that her paper license was no longer valid due to new European rules which also invalidated her insurance. She has now received a notification to appear in court to receive her fine and points (having already received a guilty notice).

I think someone is pulling your leg. Maybe she is using that as cover for something more serious.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • joshgeake
    Options
    Erm yes, paper licenses are perfectly valid. If you 'earn' points though you will need to renew it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback