what drugs is this car dealer on

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pitkin2020 wrote: »
    Really, well thank you for that wonderful insight...............

Your implication was that they were mad to think it was worth £300, however they didnt know the condition until they got there - it might have been quite decent and worth that.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They were quite mad to think it was worth £495 and even madder to think they could knock a dealer down nearly £200 on a car under £500. Upon seeing it the dealer is mad too, and I guess his as was meant to read, £49.50............
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you didn't drive far to see it. My rule is don't go more than 10 miles for a £500 car. Better to look at more close by than a few far away.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know, cheap cars are a gamble but £475 for Japanese or £475 for French. You don't need to think about this one too long. Jap wins hands down, and you could have the possibility of having a sub £500 cars that you keep for 5 years. Would you be keeping a £500 French car for 5 years, most owners don't have them for five years from new.
    I love bangernomics, my £500 Vauxhall is approaching two years of ownership and I aim to get another three years from it, by then I'll be looking at £500 Mitsubishi's that will come with air con.

A few, very under rated sub £500 cars:
    Mitsubishi Galant and Carisma
    Mazda 626 and 323
    Old Toyota Corollas
    Old Nissan Primeras
    Old Ford Mondeos (May need an MOT, but I am keeping mine, so don't think this is an advert!;))
    If you want luxury, and the car is cheap enough, with a full MOT, then:
    BMW 5 series (E34 around 1995), particularly the 520i
    Volvo estates, with leather upholstery
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good list, nice vareity, exactly the sort of thing I would look for. Once had Mazda 323 from the auction for a few £hundred very nice car.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    A few, very under rated sub £500 cars:
    Mitsubishi Galant and Carisma
    Mazda 626 and 323
    Old Toyota Corollas
    Old Nissan Primeras
    Old Ford Mondeos (May need an MOT, but I am keeping mine, so don't think this is an advert!;))
    If you want luxury, and the car is cheap enough, with a full MOT, then:
    BMW 5 series (E34 around 1995), particularly the 520i
    Volvo estates, with leather upholstery

The mazda 626 is one ugly car inside and out but comfortable enough and pretty reliable a good bet for the budget, but did I mentioned how ugly they are lol.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good list, nice vareity, exactly the sort of thing I would look for. Once had Mazda 323 from the auction for a few £hundred very nice car.

Nothing French, despite the fact that I really like the look of certain French cars - Pug 406 Pininfarina coupe, Citroen C6, or Italian - Alfa GTV Coupe (mid nineties), and you will not get the good ones under £500.
    I reckon out of all those, The Beemer 5 series is the sleeper (I have had three), they do everything well, and certain engines are bulletproof. They will get you to the South of Italy, via France, Germany and Switzerland, and back, without any problems, and you will feel comfortable and relaxed.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    cant see what the problem is
    theres the lip from the wheelarch to work from so cover the outer wing with gaffa tape where the metal is missing then slap lots of glass fibre behind to the gaffa tape and rest of wing
    once cured remove gaffa tape fill in perfections with body filler ,quick rub down with the old wet and dry ,finish off with a £5 rattle can from halfords and its good as new

some people:mad:

or of course you could pick the bits up off the floor and stick them back on where someone has gone as essment mad

The worrying thing is, I think you are actually serious. :eek:
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Is anyone forcing you to buy this car?

I don't think the OP is saying that anyone is, just that she is aghast that someone should be trying to sell it to anyone at all.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    Tis but a scratch....

"I've 'ad worse...." :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure