PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Options

Comments

• Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Different then from yours, but this is the one I used. It was delicious, although a bit more filling than what I'd normally have.

The point when you're watching the pennies though. :)
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    thank you both - just reading now, can't do the cheese sauce as watching the waistline as well as the pennies but it gives me a good starting place for times etc
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    Ok I've just browsed the thread that Loulou2010 posted & I'm fairly sure that's the one I'm referring to - now I just need to decide which one to try & how long to cook & at which gas mark etc :o

thanks all for your help :D

Sarah xx
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    wanted to say thanks again - dinner was a huge success :D
    I did sliced potato & onion in layers plus a layer of baked beans (they were in the fridge & needed using) a little bit of stock & a tin of toms over the top cooked for 45min covered & 1hr uncovered & added cheese for the last 10min & this made enough for 4 people

Sarah xxx
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    was it this thread by any chance? Ill merge this later
    thanks
    Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• boredjellybean
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    was it this thread by any chance? Ill merge this later
    thanks
    Zip :)

yes thank you !!!!! :D off to read the rest of it now
  • karensmith
    karensmith Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thinking of doing a cheese, potato and onion pie today.....there seems to be a number of variations, ideas on best way to do it please, and also what to serve with it......thank you :D
    "The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die" #mentalhealthwarrior ❤
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Best bet would be to boil the potatoes until tender & caramalise the onions (see link below) then spread a thin layer of mustard on the pastry base, (grain mustard is better) Thinly slice the spuds then spread a layer of onions,spud,tomato,onion,spud,tomato & a final layer of cheese.Dont forget to season each layer with S&P.Drizzel with olive oil & bung in the over to cook & melt the cheese.
    Iv'e made this myself but without the spud.You could always make an oblong version but replace the spud with hot dogs & a layer of baked beans (but don't add too much bean sauce,kids would love this!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you will see many variations in this thread

I will merge this later:)
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i do two versions, one with double cream mixed half with milk and poured over, or i use just a little bit of milk on each layer and lots more cheese.

either way i generally serve with sauages, or chicken breast wrapped in bacon, pork chops etc and veg, our favs our brocoli, sweetcorn and carrots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure