PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Options

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Gawd, I must be a lazy mare then! I just make mashed potato chuck in a few ounces of grated mature cheddar, a bit of grated onion, fluff up the top and sprinkle a bit more cheese on and a handful of fresh white breadcrumbs bung in a hot oven and 30 minutes later take out a dish of cheesy creamy loveliness (with a crisp cheesy top)!
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that's not lazy really is sounds lush.
    I do a bacon/onion/spud layer thingy.
    as said just layer it in a casserole dish with lots of s+p+herbs, then on the tops I smother it with a paste of tommy puree and garlicstuff with just a little water.
    bung in the oven on low all day then remove lid baste with the juices and chuck on lots of grated cheese and brown it - yummy in my tummy.
    keep them coming please.
    xx
  • Bibbitybob
    Bibbitybob Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Gawd, I must be a lazy mare then! I just make mashed potato chuck in a few ounces of grated mature cheddar, a bit of grated onion, fluff up the top and sprinkle a bit more cheese on and a handful of fresh white breadcrumbs bung in a hot oven and 30 minutes later take out a dish of cheesy creamy loveliness (with a crisp cheesy top)!

That's tomorrow's dinner sorted, thanks! Sounds yum :D
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »

that's how i do mine (minus the breadcrumbs); its what ds and ddil asked for when I offered to make them lunch recently :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can get it try the welsh cheese "Y Fenni" its got grain mustard in it - its amazing in this pie
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also just stir grated cheese into mashed potato, more cheese on top, grill until brown & crispy if the potato's still hot & serve with baked beans. Cheap & delicious, real comfort food.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've seen numerous threads on this forum giving some excellent ideas and recipes to create meals on a budget. Unfortunately many of these rely on bulking out meals with cheap carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) in favour of the more expensive sources of protein (fish/meat).

For health reasons my dietary requirements are such that I need high protein/low carb meals. I'm also lactose intolerant so my food budget is somewhat higher than I'd currently like. Would be extremely grateful for any advice & tips to cut it down a bit.

I'm a competent cook and try to make full use of my freezer when batch cooking as I live alone so everything has to be divided up into single portions.

Cheers guys :D
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • isthatreduced
    Options
    I have the same problem.
    I use eggs (often just the whites) for omelette's etc
    Extra lean beef mince although its not cheep you can bulk it out with onions and grated chopped carrot.
    Turkey mince low fat,high protein and quite cheap.

There is no easy answer to it,lean protein is expensive you just have to be creative.
    I also buy large bags of frozen chicken breast couldn't live without them.
    Lentils are also a good cheap source of protein as are beans.

I substitute rice for cauliflower or use it to bulk out rice depending on your taste.

HTH
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello there,
    Have you had a look at http://http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

Not sure if it'll work, but its a wonderful resource created by an MSE user (I think Weezl but not sure so dont quote me on it)

It may not address your intolerances but may be worth a peruse for ideas and tweaking :0)

Hope this helps!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    There are two really good sites that I use sometimes: http://www.cannedfood.co.uk/index.php and http://www.greatlittleideas.com/
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure