PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Options

Comments

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone started a thread on here about healthy meals on a budget, maybe a month or so ago. Someone will be able to find it and do a link. It had great ideas in it.
    W
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    One of my resolutions for the new year :o I have tried Soya milk before and hated it on cereal etc and found it curdled in coffee (is that me?) but I'm certainly going to give it another try in cooking!:)

Coffee-mate is non-dairy. I was non-dairy for 10 years and got through the lack of milk and cheese by:
    Soya milk on cereal
    Coffee-mate in coffee
    Mayo on pasta instead of cheese in the pasta
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I have long had my concerns and voiced them about over bulking with carbs and stretching a chicken 15 times! I have been shouted down and told that we don't need as much protein as we eat, but I disagree. I would recommend bulking out meat with pulses, but always have an awareness of the fact that pulses are not a complete protein, so combining it with a small amount of the corresponding grain to make a complete protein.

Also eat the seasons with fruit and veg, shopping at a market, if you have a good one locally.
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We eat in a similar manner as our LO is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts - so we spend a lot on special soya milk for him, and eat a lot of meat and fish as part of meals. I do try and bulk out with beans and pulses and veg where I can (e.g. in chilli, currys and bolognaise), and also use cheaper cuts of meat - so chicken thighs, minced meat, stewing steak and often we find that pork is on offer. I tend to stock up on meat when I see it on special offer and freeze it.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree about the lactose free milk being really expensive. My dd has only recently been diagnosed with lactose intolerance but we have tried all sorts of milk eg soya, rice milk etc and she only likes the lactose free milk, but at least she will eat her cereal now. I keep the milk just for her and the rest of us have the normal milk.

I usually get 3 meals out of a chicken and this gives a decent portion of chicken each time. I think with other meals during the day we all get at least the recommended 45g of protein:

This website may help anyone who is worried about protein:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_protein.shtml
  • patchwork_cat
    edited 3 January 2012 at 2:19PM
    Options
    kippers wrote: »
    I agree about the lactose free milk being really expensive. My dd has only recently been diagnosed with lactose intolerance but we have tried all sorts of milk eg soya, rice milk etc and she only likes the lactose free milk, but at least she will eat her cereal now. I keep the milk just for her and the rest of us have the normal milk.

I usually get 3 meals out of a chicken and this gives a decent portion of chicken each time. I think with other meals during the day we all get at least the recommended 45g of protein:

This website may help anyone who is worried about protein:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_protein.shtml

That link says that women should eat 45 g and men 55g. There are other schools of thought that say that that amount would only be suitable for a sedentary man of less than 10 stone. If you had an active 6 footer of 13 stone that did exercise even moderatley then they should eat more like 82g.

It is important to remember as well that that is not 55g of meat, but protein. As chicken , eg, is 22% raw (approx) protein that would be about 250g raw chicken per day.

Without knowing how many people Kipper is getting 3 meals out of a chicken for and without knowing the weight of the chicken or what else they eat, it would be hard to say whether there was adequate protein. For my family stretching an average chicken for 3 meals this would not be nearly enough protein.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That link says that women should eat 45 g and men 55g. There are other schools of thought that say that that amount would only be suitable for a sedentary man of less than 10 stone. If you had an active 6 footer of 13 stone that did exercise even moderatley then they should eat more like 82g.

It is important to remember as well that that is not 55g of meat, but protein. As chicken , eg, is 22% raw (approx) protein that would be about 250g raw chicken per day.

I agree with you. Minimum protein intake should be 0.7g/kg of bodyweight for light sedentary work rising to double that for athletes/bodybuilders. Too much protein can actually be detrimental and affect calcium uptake so women in particular need to be aware.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Those "other schools of thought" have no serious evidence for their claims. It is not possible to be deficient in protein unless you are severely undernourished. If you prefer to eat lots of protein, that's your business, but it's not necessary for good health. This is an OS, moneysaving board, not a "spend lots of money on fad diets that probably actually harm health" board.

OP, nuts and seeds will add satiety to your meals. They are also useful for blending into creamy sauces when dairy cream is not an option. Not as cheap as some foods, I know, but they are not horribly expensive either (unless you buy in the snack aisle of the supermarket - I can't believe the prices they charge! If you find the baking or wholefoods section the exact same nuts will be cheaper.)

To stop soy milk and cream curdling, put it in the mug first and microwave it until it's close to or the same temperature as the coffee. It's a pain but it always works. Can't vouch for the taste as I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband likes it :)

I've heard of "cauliflower rice" before and I've been meaning to try it. I find cauliflower unpleasantly bland most of the time but maybe that's why it works as a rice substitute. :)

I like the recipes on this site. Her focus is dairy-free and gluten-free more than low-carb, but a lot of it is low-carb too. Again, lots of nuts, which aren't the cheapest food in the world. Everything I've tried from her is very tasty.
  • patchwork_cat
    edited 3 January 2012 at 2:46PM
    Options
    rinabean wrote: »
    Those "other schools of thought" have no serious evidence for their claims. It is not possible to be deficient in protein unless you are severely undernourished. If you prefer to eat lots of protein, that's your business, but it's not necessary for good health. This is an OS, moneysaving board, not a "spend lots of money on fad diets that probably actually harm health" board.

OP, nuts and seeds will add satiety to your meals. They are also useful for blending into creamy sauces when dairy cream is not an option. Not as cheap as some foods, I know, but they are not horribly expensive either (unless you buy in the snack aisle of the supermarket - I can't believe the prices they charge! If you find the baking or wholefoods section the exact same nuts will be cheaper.)

To stop soy milk and cream curdling, put it in the mug first and microwave it until it's close to or the same temperature as the coffee. It's a pain but it always works. Can't vouch for the taste as I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband likes it :)

I've heard of "cauliflower rice" before and I've been meaning to try it. I find cauliflower unpleasantly bland most of the time but maybe that's why it works as a rice substitute. :)

I like the recipes on this site. Her focus is dairy-free and gluten-free more than low-carb, but a lot of it is low-carb too. Again, lots of nuts, which aren't the cheapest food in the world. Everything I've tried from her is very tasty.

0.8 g of protein per Kg body weight for a sedentary individual is not a fad diet! I find the tone of your post offensive, aggressive and unnecessary.

I would like to see evidence of you remark that they have no serious evidence for their claims and also evidence that eating 0.8g of protein is hazardous to health?

I hardly think that the University of Maryland would advocate a 'fad' diet without evidence http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Soya milk is a bit of an acquired taste - I had to work at it a bit, but I really like it now and have switched over completely and even enjoy it as a glass of milk. I don't use milk in coffee or tea so I guess that helps but it's great on cereals and makes really good scrambled eggs!
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family