PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Totally "get" where you're coming from .... I'm lactose and wheat intolerant.

Milk costs me £30+ / month alone:eek: and things like Oatibiks are so much more expensive than say sm own brand wheetabix etc.

For the milk, I've yet to find a cheaper alternative ..... and am slowly trying to come to accept this and "take the hit".

Can you have oats? Although technically high in carbs, they're generally thought of as being carb neutral due to the low release of energy etc.

If so, they're also great for bulking out meals / using as toppings instead of breadcrumbs and for a coating over a chicken/turkey breast etc.

Lentils are another food source that is generally thought of to being carb neutral in overall terms and good for bulking. HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    I second the oats and lentils vote. Also, how are you with soya milk? I find the own brand is good for cooking with and much healthier than cows milk and a good source of protein. You can make good, nutritious yoghurt with it too which is great for adding to meals. You can also pick up out of date fruit, puree it (and freeze maybe) and have for breakfast with maybe some toasted oats. Asda own brand oats are only 75p a kg. Are you ok with beans? Most of the supermarkets do a huge range which you can use in all sorts of meals. Chick peas are great for making hummous - high in protein and a great snack. Seeds and nuts too. Not sure what your condition is but my daughter has ulcerative colitis which means we have to be experimental with meals as she can't eat so much. Also my son's vegan so we're always on the look out for cheap, nutritious food that tastes good.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the milk, I've yet to find a cheaper alternative ..... and am slowly trying to come to accept this and "take the hit".

Have you tried Tesco own brand Soya milk? It's cheaper than Alpro at 69p/99p a litre depending whether you use UHT or fresh.
    Can you have oats? Although technically high in carbs, they're generally thought of as being carb neutral due to the low release of energy etc.

Yes, I have Dr Food multi-grain/seed porridge for breakfast every day ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there,
    Have you had a look at http://http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

Not sure if it'll work, but its a wonderful resource created by an MSE user (I think Weezl but not sure so dont quote me on it)

It may not address your intolerances but may be worth a peruse for ideas and tweaking :0)

Hope this helps!

Excellent resource, thank you so much!! :T
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Have you tried Tesco own brand Soya milk? It's cheaper than Alpro at 69p/99p a litre depending whether you use UHT or fresh.

One of my resolutions for the new year :o I have tried Soya milk before and hated it on cereal etc and found it curdled in coffee (is that me?) but I'm certainly going to give it another try in cooking!:)
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also buy large bags of frozen chicken breast couldn't live without them.

Are these good value for money? I tend to buy a FR chicken (whole one) then portion it up myself which is far cheaper than buying single breasts.

I also did something similar just before xmas with salmon. I bought a whole side of salmon for £12 and portioned it up into fillets & steaks at home and got 16 portions from it! :T
    I substitute rice for cauliflower or use it to bulk out rice depending on your taste.

HTH

Interesting, I'll have to try that :)
  • ~Chameleon~
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my resolutions for the new year :o I have tried Soya milk before and hated it on cereal etc and found it curdled in coffee (is that me?) but I'm certainly going to give it another try in cooking!:)

I really like it and you can buy sweetened or unsweetened versions. I make my porridge with it after initially soaking the grains in boiling water for a few mins. I drink my coffee black but have made tea/coffee for others using soya milk and it's never curdled. They don't seem to mind the taste either.

Coconut milk is lovely just for drinking too :)
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread Low GI cheap Old Style meal ideas may be helpful.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options

Always allow very hot liquid to cool slightly before adding to soya milk and always put soya milk into the cup first.... it curdles if you add to hot liquid for some reason :)
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    always put soya milk into the cup first.... it curdles if you add to hot liquid for some reason :)

Ahhhhhh, that's how I did it!

Will give it another try .... thanks:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure