PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

White vinegar threads

Options

Comments

• Newgirl_2
    Options
    I think Kim and Aggie might also be partly responsible... they advocate using vinegar/bicarb/lemon juice for cleaning.

I bet you in a few years, they will be more expensive than the cleaning products are now.

Newgirl
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of our local cash & carries has some white and brown "non brewed condiment" vinegars for £2.29 for 2 X 4.5 litres, is this similar to the white distilled vinegar and can it be used for the same things? as this would work out to 25p per litre.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• angelavdavis
    Options
    Chinese supermarkets.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    One of our local cash & carries has some white and brown "non brewed condiment" vinegars for £2.29 for 2 X 4.5 litres, is this similar to the white distilled vinegar and can it be used for the same things? as this would work out to 25p per litre.

That is what we use in the inkie household!
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I get mine in Asda - it's with the Sarsons etc.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where can I get white vinegar for cleaning? Sounds mad but I thought they'd have it in 1 litre* bottles in Tesco or something! Help!

*For not a lot more than the Tesco 1 litre, I get 5 litres from our local greengrocer. I think they stock it for making pickles.
  • Cat121
    Cat121 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've heard all about the benefits of vinegar but need some help please.

What vinegar exactly do I get?
    Where is the best/cheapest place to get it?
    What can I use it for including volumes etc?
    What other things are good to get to boost it's uses/powers?

Would much appreciate your assistence and I thank you all in advance.

lol Catherine xxxxxxx
    Learning valuable lessons everyday - made all the easier by the folks on here and my amazing family :T

Life is better - now time to save for son's future :T
  • Erosgirl
    Erosgirl Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Cat121. I don't think this answers any of your questions, but it may be useful information to someone. I only had Sarson's malt vinegar in my cupboard. My husband hates vinegar, even the smell, but a recurring cold sore had erupted. I told him to dab it with vinegar so he held his breath and let me do it. It cleared up in record time and he hasn't had one since. It may not happen immediately, but perhaps in the end a cure.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    when my spray bottle of window cleaner finished last month i kept the bottle and filled it with 1/2 water 1/2 cheapo brown vinegar. i now use this to clean my windows/glass tables/mirrors/tv and general dusting and have yet to clean my kitchen wall tiles with it :j i saved myself a few quid by not buying a shop bought spray and i can honestly say it works just as good and its a whole lot cheaper! you do smell the vinegar a little when you use it but the smell soon disappears leaving everything sparkly. :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Mine's_a_guinness
    Options
    If you have a fish market near you they may sell vinegar in large quantities. I bought a 5 litre container for £1.65 this week, which should save me loads of dosh through not using expensive cleaners.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure