I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Options

Comments

• ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2012 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Got in at 5, woke at 10:30am got up to use the toilet an d realised i was still drunk when i was stumbling about! lol good night, nice way to spend my nye, champers and fruity cognac, few standards tequila shots thrown in, i am so tempted to get a take away, but i won't.

Took out some chilli mince yest and have whoopsied deli cheese to use up, so will fling it all in a wrap, woke up at 2:30pm still bit woozy, decided i should eat, so had yet more of the never ending curly fries, few chicken strips aand a fishcake, seem to have this regularly, buit it nearly finished,

Took out 2 chicken breasts, for enchilada dinner tomorrow.

Have decided i will not BUY another thing for the freezer as it is full and i need to eat stuff from there, plus i need to try and now fit in 2 sheets of puff pastry. so no buying for at least the next 2 weeks, i will only buy veg and fruit, besides, whenever i take things out, more stuff goes in as whatever i take out is made into something and portions need freezing up, its a 4 day week this week, so will attempt some batch cooking over the next weekend.

I want to make my Mary Berry cupcakes, but want to eek them out, it makes 12, so am thinking if i can freeze them and take out 1 a week or whatever as i'm trying to lose weight, on 2nd thoughts won't make them until i have some freezer space, now have 5 packs of sausages, 2 packs of 5 bought from my neighbor who is a butcher and they are great quality so will leave them until last, sainsburys ttd pack and 2 tesco butchers packs, got for 10p each whoopsied, thinking of doing sweet and sour sausgaes in sc, they were lush, but cant really remember the recipe lol.

Have a portion of soup, 3 portions of chilli and will have made enchiladas tomorrow, so that will do for the weeks lunches and dinners, i am having 2 MS dinners and 1 lunch all free, so that is plenty, just need to buy fruit tomorrow.

*SIGH* Just remembered i have the remainder of a ham to use up also.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    Options
    My Cupboards are heaving but I don't know what is out of date. Currently I am eating out of the above.
    Ham to use up slice, freeze, use. Stock to make with delicious Ham bone carrots onions bay leaves a few black peppercorns.
    Beef Mince to turn into Mince, Burgers, Meatloaf etc.
    I have 5kg of Basmatic, DeCecco Pasta (tastes nice hence avoiding false economy).
    I had Brunch of spiced spinach (freezer) and mushrooms with 2 poached eggs (cooked in slow cooker best way on high for 7 minutes!).
    So i hope to do as much as possible before a Supermarket Top up which should be waitrose.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • TylersMummy
    Options
    To the person wondering what to do with sprouts... they are gorgeous if you slice/shred them like you would cabbage and pan fry with diced bacon/pancetta (whatever you have) and a little olive oil and splash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Or bake them mixed with the chopped bacon and drizzle on olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I don't really like boiled sprouts but love them done like this so much, I see it as a treat and not a bore like I see most veggies :D

Weeell we had a very productive day when it comes to eating what we have but I called OH at work and got him to bring home things we really couldn't do without and had run out of - bread, sandwich meat for packed lunches, spread, and vegetable oil. But they were musts.

Did one of the many topside beef joints from the freezer in the slow cooker today and we had roast potatoes, roast parnsips and carrots (both of which have been in the fridge for 3 weeks and are still as good as new), peas and gravy with it, it was beautiful. For after, we had pancakes which we had a pack of in the freezer. There was quite a bit of beef over after dinner as well as a pint of meat juices/gravy from the slow cooker stock so I'll be making a casserole with that tomorrow and adding some more of those parsnips and carrots, as well as potatoes and onions!

Hoping for at least 4 NSDs this week!
    :T Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student :T
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Hoping for another NSD day today. going to try the frozen fish with parsley sauce from lidl tonight, with new potatoes and peas. Then i've an aunt bessie pie in the freezer which we can have with custard for afters.

Going to make ahead the cottage pie for tomorrow's dinner so i just need to cook it when i get in from work, will serve that with some beans that are in the fridge.

Lunches will be healthy. I am trying to lose weight, so need to think before i eat! I've got some WW lasagna i got in lidl or WW bread so one of the two will do.
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today I have to use up:

A cracked egg (not sure about this...) and toast for breakfast.

A piece of pizza from yesterday for lunch, home made, I suddenly realised late in the day I had to use up the mozzarella and pesto so made a quick pizza base out of storecupboard flour etc and borrowed a tomato from the pets' supply).

Also got the sausage rolls left over from NYE. Will have them with salad this evening.

I've done a big excel spreadsheet of food I have in the cupboards, fridge, freezer etc and highlighted items that need to be used first, seems to be working well for me as I've been much more aware of wasteage.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi all today we had toast and fruit for breakfast (does anyone else see a pattern i really need to start using cereal but toast is so easy) my lunch is lo chinese for nye and the kids are having tom soup and bread, dinner is pheasant stew, hubby is away shooting today so i don't have to feed him breakfast or lunch and hopefully he'll bring home some more phesant and duck i don't really have the room for it but there free (well not free we had to pay for the shoot but he'd be doing that anyway)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    :( I was hoping for a NSD but need tomato puree for my cottage pie! will go to waitrose and NOT get anything else!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    Being good as i'm on a diet, relegated the curly fries/kievs/chicken strips to a corner and will now only eat them once a week on treat days, so i can still use them.

Decided to use up half of the leftover ham on a soup for lunches this week, so that is currently in sc along with some stock i made, water and leftover tomatoe puree from making a pizza.

Having enchiladas for dinner, i will stuff them with chicken a bit of ham lol and loads of veg, that way its a complete meal with no extras needed.

Going to eat the last portion of soup today, it's that or chilli, gonna have the chilli for lunch tomorrow i think! still loads of stuff in fridge and freezer, but slowly fridge is becoming less packed, even though i went to sainsbos and got some fruit stuff and frubes.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    made sprout and blue cheese soup yesterday, added onions, potatoes, veg stock. Think it tastes ok but everyone else refusing it saying it tastes too sprouty:p
    I have also got half a doz eggs with use by 30th Dec - anyone know if they will still be ok to use? Can't remember how you tell if they are bad or not??
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    123budget wrote: »
    made sprout and blue cheese soup yesterday, added onions, potatoes, veg stock. Think it tastes ok but everyone else refusing it saying it tastes too sprouty:p
    I have also got half a doz eggs with use by 30th Dec - anyone know if they will still be ok to use? Can't remember how you tell if they are bad or not??

Had to laugh at the too sprouty soup!!

Could you make a cake with the eggs? I'd risk eating them as only a few days old, safer if fully cooked in a cake though I think I read the other day.

On a similar theme, anyone know if tomato puree is ok out of date? Mine was opened in August then I forgot it... quite a bit left... I was going to use it but a friend said don't risk it..?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure