I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been reading this thread for a fair while, was inspired yesterday so used the brocolli stalk I had left from xmas dinner, whacked in a pan with some onion and a few l/over brussels, blitzed down and added some soft blue cheese from xmas (50p using a coupon) that is just past its best before. Then used the lone burger bun from the fridge that has been hanging around to make garlic croutons. Felt very proud of myself! :-)

Tonights tea is pork stew, using a portion of pork loin bought when whoopsied & frozen (40p for the portion) with loafs of veg thats been hanging around looking sorry for itself (b/nut squash, some bendy potatoes & carrots, and some brussels).

This thread (& the not throwing food away thread) are slowly helping to change my habits. Yay!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • kittywight
    Options
    used a tin of tomatoes and remaining pack of spagetti outta the cupboard today .... just another dozen of each to go

its my new years resolution to get through some of that pasta thats been there for years..... and then not buy anymore!! and stick to 1 packet at a time .... bloody hate pasta :)

did a reduced section shop today

bacon 59p a pack .... was £2.29
    25 meatballs £1.99 .... was £4.00
    massive block of farmhouse double glouster cheese 95p :)

and a few other random bits :)

meats all been portioned and gone into the freezer
    and i managed to save 2 peppers from going in the bin, chopped and frozen them :)

xx
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    had out of the freezer more curly fries, a pepper corn kiev and some southern fried strips all whoopsied so about £1 worth of food prob even less.

Had that with some cheese and coleslaw, whoopsied from the deli today, also got a short crust chicken pie for 90p, frying steak rump down fro 8 to 1.89, in tescos 2 packs of sausages 10p each, came home and cut the steak, but alot of it had that brown green colour running through the middle, it was a good chunk and needed some as i want to make a pie anyway, so cut all thr red bits from it and froze, along with the 2 packs of sausages and the big pie, had to do some rejigging, thats why i ate so much lol.

Anyway off out for the night, so will need a heavy meal to line my stomach.

Happy New year all! see you on the other side!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • susan6780
    Options
    Ms knight rider,the brown stuff was just the blood,run it under a cold tap and it will turn pink like the rest of the steak,hope this helps?

Happy new year!!
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 January 2012 at 10:43AM
    Options
    "Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
    And I'm feelin good"
    From the late, great Nina Simone

Day 1 of the "Annual Grocery Challenge", good luck to all that's trying. It's not going to be that easy and some self-control will be needed. Hopefully we can support each other as in the past and pass on a few recipes, tips, cheats............in fact anything.

Bacon sandwiches later and prawn stir fry tonight, probably snack of cheese, crackers and pickles also. Got some satsumas need eating, 2 packets for only 30p, but don't want to waste them.

Looking at a casserole or steak in ale tomorrow and Viking Gammon this week. A pizza one day and a pasta meal of some sort, possibly with the free Dallaglios (need to reduce them). Might make some fishcakes also one day - so week is pretty much sorted for very little spend.

Missed the bargains yesterday, could have got loads of pork mince for 69p, but walked away. Did get some Quorn mince for 59p and halved it and froze to make lasagnes at a later date (cheap meal). Made this last week when veggie son was home and the Quorn mince goes a very long way as is pretty nice.

EDIT: Just to add, making use of coupons combined with offers should help keep down spends.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Help Needed!
    i have still got half a bag of sprouts to use up - but kids won;t eat them, also have a large piece of soft blue cheese.
    Was thinking of using them together to make a soup but have never done this before so does anyone have any idea if they go together and what else to put in?
    Otherwise I think I will do extra roast potatoes today and use sprouts with them for a bubble & squeak tomorrow.
    If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great - I am still not very good at using stuff up and making meals from odd bits left in fridge - will try harder this year:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    123budget wrote: »
    Help Needed!
    i have still got half a bag of sprouts to use up - but kids won;t eat them, also have a large piece of soft blue cheese.
    Was thinking of using them together to make a soup but have never done this before so does anyone have any idea if they go together and what else to put in?
    Otherwise I think I will do extra roast potatoes today and use sprouts with them for a bubble & squeak tomorrow.
    If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great - I am still not very good at using stuff up and making meals from odd bits left in fridge - will try harder this year:)

I freeze left over veg with pototoes and cover in a sauce, your blue cheese should be ideal for this. I put sprouts in mine. Make into single portions and a quick dinner for one. I often use the left over fridge veg for this.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    123budget wrote: »
    Help Needed!

I had left over sprouts stir fried with garlic and rapeseed oil - and just had them with some veggie sausages (reduced) and mash potato (free from the allotment). Thing is the sprouts were so nice I fancy buying some more now!
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kirri wrote: »
    I had left over sprouts stir fried with garlic and rapeseed oil - and just had them with some veggie sausages (reduced) and mash potato (free from the allotment). Thing is the sprouts were so nice I fancy buying some more now!

Not sure about sprouts for breakfast!
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Nancy888
    Nancy888 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nancy888 wrote: »
    ...MUST GET THAT MEAL PLAN DONE....:mad:

Happy New Year everyone :hello:
    Well I'm happy to report that the meal plan is now done :T

Adopted the FlyLady way and had 2 bursts of 15 minutes taking the tree and decs down and then concentrated on the meal plan. It's not a full month but it covers the 1st 11 days and a couple of other meals slotted in for later in the month but it's certainly much further than I have had planned for the past couple of weeks!!!

I've based it around using up the most bulky items in the freezer so off to get some mince out for tomorrow's chilli
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure