I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Options

Comments

• Nancy888
    Nancy888 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    123budget wrote: »
    I have also got half a doz eggs with use by 30th Dec - anyone know if they will still be ok to use? Can't remember how you tell if they are bad or not??

To be honest i'm not a slave to Best Before dates and believe God gave us noses and eyes before these blasted dates.

The correct way to tell with eggs though is to put them in water - the older they are the more they will float.

If any of mine start floating then I use them in cakes as Kirri suggested rather than something like scrambled or whatever

HTH
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the egg on toast and reheated pizza/salad was enough today so tomorrow will definitely be the NYE leftover sausage rolls/salad for lunch and probably cauliflower cheese in the evening. Although the remains of the pesto also needs using as that should have been finished by today... so might have to have pesto/veg on tortillas tomorrow instead..

I blanched the parsnips today and stuck them in the freezer while they were still just about useable.

I have still bought too much food again despite cutting right back..
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will be joining you starting the 25th of February when I move into my new flat! I am between rentals at the minute and my freezer which I had spent money on filling is sat full in my parents garage.

Although I am trying to lose weight so I will have to be very inventive with some of the ingredients in there.

I am going to budget £20 a week to spend on bread, milk (my one allowed takeaway a week and alcohol - i only drink at the weekends.

I will also have to buy some fresh items to take for breakfast and lunches to work.

Looking forward to getting back into my freezer and seeing what exactly is in there. No I have chicken breast, sausages, mince and some prawns (reduced price of course):eek:
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another very small spend day, had to get 4 pints of milk from Sainsbury's for £1 and got 1 more pack of teacakes for 7p this time (strange price)!! £1.07 spent, but no plans on shopping tomorrow now, might not even go out and catch up on housework (AAARRRGGGHHH).

Had the mushrooms for lunch filled with a whoopsied 10p packet of pate out of freezer. Had steak and ale for tea with some Xmas cake. Hubby cooked a pizza from freezer and had half, half for his supper as it's not getting thrown away. lol

Bagels for breakfast tomorrow and probably make fishcakes and have with peas. Not sure of the rest, maybe just toasted teacakes with jam. Only 6 or so satsumas to get rid of, they'll be gone tomorrow. Need more veg by Thursday.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2012 at 8:41PM
    Options
    So.... i am making way in the freezer honest, took out the chicken breasts last night.

Lunch was the soup with a wrap from glitch, still about 3 to use up, dinner was enchiladas using the 2 chicken breasts, peppers,onions, farmhouse veg and sweetcorn, i had 1 wrap and some of the cooked chicken mix left, will have the wrap for lunch with my chilli 2mo and the chicken have out in a small container and will freeze.

Soup in sc, will turn off and portion in an hour, the problem with using up freezer stuff is, i used a pepper and cut up the rest put in container and you guessed it! froze it! really need to put the other piece of ham in there but no space, everytime i take something out, put something in! grr!

I did get quite happy earlier, as i am making a snack bag for work, with healthier options and found some nutrigrain bars in my cupboard, that need using, leftover from asda glitch, just remembered i have low fat custard and rice pudding at work yay! so anyway snack bag, grapes, satsumas,apples,frubes and nutrigrain bars, Should be enough for the week.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Has the lidl fish that was on offer on the weekend, won't be buying it again, but atleast we tried it.

Pie is in the oven for OHs dessert.

Bulgar wheat salad and carrot sticks for lunch tomorrow. OH has ham sarnies, a sausage roll, crisps and a muffin I baked for his.

There are about 16 dinners in the freezer so hope to only spend about £10 between now and next weekend
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • skyvicky123
    Options
    Hi all, hoping I can join you. I have been on the hunt for the storecupboard challenge thread and found this one instead.

Owing to the fact we have overspent over christmas we need to spend the absolute minimum over the next 3 weeks at least.

I have just done a freezer inventory, and there are enough meals in there for us all for about 14 days. I have enough lunch stuff for about a week if I am inventive!

I can't help myself picking up the whoopsies, and like to keep myself busy trawling the supermarkets of an evening so I am sure I can pick up extra bits for very little this way. I am thinking of putting £20 in my purse and seeing what I can get with it over the next 2 weeks. It will have to cover milk, fruit and any other essentials as well.

Today's dinner was HM soup and some garlic flatbread i found lurking in the freezer. Tomorrow is ham roll for lunch with fruit and a flapjack I found in the freezer. Dinner is a chicken pie I made and froze the other day.

Been wondering about taking soup in a flask to work, but not sure how hot it will be by lunch time. I can't abide luke warm food, any experience with this?
    Staring point of debt £23,343:mad:
    £12245 4/7/11:j
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am thinking of putting £20 in my purse and seeing what I can get with it over the next 2 weeks. It will have to cover milk, fruit and any other essentials as well.

Check out the free Cravendale coupons which are normally around 11am on Fridays (last year anyway and hope they are repeated) on facebook and I think twitter. I get as many as possible when I can and believe it or not, but today was the 1st day since the end of October that I've actually bought milk.
    Cravendale Free Milk Friday..............I love it. :D

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • skyvicky123
    Options
    Oooh I have never heard about this offer...I am going to have a look on Facebook now, thanks!
    Staring point of debt £23,343:mad:
    £12245 4/7/11:j
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Have a freezer heaving with all the foods we haven't eaten over the hols. Amazing how many bargains were about that I couldn't leave on the shelf but it'll put me in good stead for the coming weeks.

Have some leftover pork from dinner yesterday so will have a pork salad with pickles for dinner today.
    The others can have meatballs that were gifted to us with a couple of pots of posh pasta sauce that were reduced to 10p each in Morrisons chilled cabinet. They'll enjoy that.

Have a fair bit of unopened pate to use up. Love it on toast but need to portion and freeze so as not to waste any. Must find other uses for it. Liked the stuffed mushrooms idea above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure