Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - Page 1093

New Post Advanced Search

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
11K replies 741.1K views

Replies

• Jelly free food doesn't count, I'm going to make pear butter with my glut, didn't realise you could freeze it.
    Have you tried Pears in Ginger & Lemongrass Syrup, or Pears in Elderflower Syrup? Simple and tasty pudding, can be made in the slow cooker. Should be freezable too. Got recipe if you want.
    Also got recipes for Pear & Vodka Jelly, and Pear & Sloe Gin Jelly, if you fancy jam-making - perfect for Christmas:)
    Some other pear glut suggestions on mumsnet including Pickled Pears
    http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food/385881-glut-of-pearsany-suggestions/AllOnOnePage

also...
    http://growharvestcook.com.au/tag/fruit/
    Pear & cardamom sauce

2 pears, peeled, chopped
    ½ cup water
    ¼ cup caster sugar
    2 tsp ground cardamom
    1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 10 mins, until pears have collapsed. Using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
    2. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Alternatively freeze for up to 3 months.
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    No freezer movements.
    We had HM Steak Pie + roast potatoes + roasted veggies - beetroot, carrots, celery, mushrooms + onions & gravy for dinner.
    I used some LO HM pastry to make an apple/pear/sultana pie. I flavoured the filling with cloves. We tried the pie - yummy.
    Saturdaysdinner_zps85ea4b73.jpg
    ApplePearandSultanaPie_zpsd0c93d38.jpg
    ApplePearandSultanaPie2_zpse58e08f6.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • edited 12 October 2013 at 9:13PM
    Jelly_BiactolJelly_Biactol Forumite
    3.6K posts
    edited 12 October 2013 at 9:13PM
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I used some LO HM pastry to make an apple/pear/sultana pie. I flavoured the filling with cloves. We tried the pie - yummy.
    Flo, that pie looks yummy:)
    I've got a few apples:rotfl:and some LO sultanas, so might try this.
    Also got some cinnamon today, from my favourite Indian supermarket (100g for 49p), so would use that instead of the cloves (which I don't have
    Is the filling just the fruit stewed together? And shortcrust pastry (yours is lovely and golden), on the top or is there a pastry base too (can't tell from pic).

Today, also called in at my local family bakery, to stock up on bread for lunchtime sarnies - 2 x 12 bread rolls and a ginormous French stick (their French bread has a lovely open texture, probably the most authentic I've ever come across in this country). All for £1.90.
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No pastry base. I brushed the top with milk and sprinkled with sugar. HM Short crust pastry made with Trex. I put the dish of fruit in the MW for a few minutes to start the fruit softening.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • abbe89abbe89 Forumite
    289 posts
    Had the family over today, and made a beef stew and lamb tagine, so have got a couple of portions of that to go into the freezer!

On the positive side, I used up a big bag of beef and one of lamb from the freezer, a swede and squash that have been in the drawer for a while now, a couple of tins of tomato, the last of the tomato puree, and then the end of 3 jars of jam for a Victoria Sponge and frozen apples and blackberries for crumble!
  • Gonzo1987Gonzo1987 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Loaf of bread, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, smilies and potato waffles all out the freezer this weekend. Nearly ordered a pizza but decided to save pennies.

Some sandwich thins went in the freezer but will use them for lunches this week.
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No eggs in so change of menu tonight .
    We had HM wedges + barbecue beans + bacon + sausage + mushrooms for dinner.
    Sundaysdinner_zps8aad232f.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Been away from comp last four days so have had loads to catch up on. Saw on countryfile last night there has been a bumper crop of fruit this year. If this place is anything to go, by I certainly agree. I'm still ploughing my way through crab apples but I think I'll stop as I've got 12 jars of crabapple jelly stored away and I want to start on the sweet chestnuts. The ones that have already fallen are quite small but we really like them and they are free, so I'll make the effort and collect them.

Freezer out:- pulled some form of meat out - think its lambs liver but I'll have to wait until it is defrosted to be sure. Bacon liver and onions come to mind or pate. Weighed it at 1.4kg so I'll have plenty for both.
    Minced pork shoulder to go around eggs for HM scotch eggs planned for tomorrow's tea.

In - nothing

I'll have to make loads of apple chutney this pm as I've got to finish off using up the bramleys and I have some red onions that won't store too well over the winter, so may as well make use of them rather than throw them away. The only other things I need are sultanas, spices and vinegar - I have plenty. Hope I don't run short of jars.
  • Done a fried rice for lunch, veggie version, leftover rice from yesterday, soy sauce, bit of onion and frozen veg.

Will get eggs tomorrow, forgot them today and my bags were already heavy, going to my grandmas house to make her a ginger cake, will get something on the way to make her dinner with as well, probably a chicken stir fry.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In to freezer - nothing.
    Out of freezer - 2 HM Muffins + some lurking breaded chicken.
    We had HM Salmon Quiche + HM wedges + baked beans for dinner. The white in the quiche is cheese.

[IMG][/img]Tuesdaysdinner_zpsd572c2c9.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support