Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - Page 1092

New Post Advanced Search

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
11K replies 740.8K views

Replies

• FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are wasting money getting the cutters unless you have none. I have a set of cutters - the biggest one is too small for the muffin tin as it is so deep.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Flo I have none, well actually I have 1 it's a small plastic heart, I used once to make biscuits with my god daughter.

I used a cupcake tin, which was perfect, o was able to use a heaped table spoon of filling in each, I'm looking forward to finding more reduced pastry now! I even remembered to butter the tin first.

I just need to perfect the look, I did blind bake the bottoms first, but some of the tops shrunk a bit, how do I combat this? I'm getting into this baking lark! Might even buy some eggs when I get paid, make a fruit loaf or 2 and stuff I can freeze lol.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ I've seen the blocks of Jus rol reduced in Waitrose.
    Random fact - most jus rol (except the all butter one obviously) is vegan. I never realised that till I did my vegan month last year.

Let us know how that fruit bread loaf cake thing turns out if you make it, in my Mary B book she does a courgette one and uses plain flour then she does a tea loaf but that has SR flour in (both have eggs in) so not sure what I'd use, probably SR, but either way baking without eggs is quite difficult I find..

I have all sorts of cutters, round and shaped - I use them for scones too, did Christmas Tree shaped cheese scones, looked quite nice :D

4 boxes of cooked courgettes in the freezer but 1 loaf of hm bread will come out today probably. Food delivery later but spends been fairly low so far this month.

Breakfast was just a banana
    Then had the last (free) yoghurt and (free) granola for lunch/late breakfast..
    Dinner with either be a hm bean burger with cheese on bread and roast veg wedges or pesto pasta with some of the cooked courgettes and hm slow roasted tomatoes and HG borlotti. Can't decide..
  • I only have plain flour at the moment, so going to get all the ingredients when I get paid.

I have Just been out to the pear tree,because my gram kept reminding me I promised her pears, these pears are a cross between conference and those light green ones you get, no idea what they are, I have some ripened in the fridge so will try them.

Just fish from the freezer for dinner today,

I'm feeling very homely all of a sudden, what with baking my own pies, picking fruits from my tree, lol 5 years ago I wasbstill party mad! Loool crazy!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flo, thanks for the idea of the mini pies, Turkey,veg and gravy filling, they were delish! However I think I need to invest in some round pastry cutters, cutting into squares did not leave them pretty like your.

Have leftover turkey, will turn into a creamy pasta tomorrow.

I have a set of round cutters from poundland in a tub, these are good but I found even the biggest did not fit my muffin tin so I used my craft circle cutter also poundland and I could have whatever size I wanted, well within reason, think it goes up to about 6" diameter.
    Slimming World at target
  • Florenceem wrote: »
    I think you are wasting money getting the cutters unless you have none. I have a set of cutters - the biggest one is too small for the muffin tin as it is so deep.
    I originally got mine when making filled pasta, they were just the right size for that. And the fluted edge just looked nicer, rather the straight edge using a glass or cutting by hand.

Recently I've been making the most of a glut of windfall apples. We have an orchard at work (how posh is that!), so recently I've been collecting about 2kg a day.
    Over the last couple of weekends I've made two batches of pickle/chutney (different recipes), using up about 4kg to make 10 jars (have just about run out of empty jars, though, now). They are in the cupboard.
    Last night and today I've made two batches of stewed apples (in the slow cooker = idiot-proof:)), just under 4kg cooked weight. I've put them in those plastic soup containers (recycled), perfect as each holds 500g when full. They will be going in the freezer.
    So, cupboard and freezer movements in - boo! hiss! But it's free food, so does that count?:D
    But that still leaves about 12kg-15kg, all safely stored away in an old banana box in the kitchen.
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flo I have none, well actually I have 1 it's a small plastic heart, I used once to make biscuits with my god daughter.

I used a cupcake tin, which was perfect, o was able to use a heaped table spoon of filling in each, I'm looking forward to finding more reduced pastry now! I even remembered to butter the tin first.

I just need to perfect the look, I did blind bake the bottoms first, but some of the tops shrunk a bit, how do I combat this? I'm getting into this baking lark! Might even buy some eggs when I get paid, make a fruit loaf or 2 and stuff I can freeze lol.
    I didn't blind bake.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • So how long did you leave the pies in for flo? Blind baking was a faff! Used grease proof and rice.

Jelly free food doesn't count, I'm going to make pear butter with my glut, didn't realise you could freeze it.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
  • Are muffin and cupcake tins the same?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think muffin tins are deeper than cup cake ones but don't take my word for it.
    Re cooking pies - I just lined the muffin tin - spooned in the cooked filling - wet the edges and put on the lid and sealed. I cooked them until done - I think it was about 40 minutes but it depends on how high you have the oven etc. I cooked at 180.
    15 in 2015 1/15
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support