MSE News: Compulsory car insurance rules come into force today

123457»

Replies

• Hi all,

I am after some advice please with regards the issue of off road insurance.

We can't currently afford a replacement car for our 98 micra.

The micra will cost at least £400 to repair to get it through its MOT, then taxed (expired 31.08.11)

We have decided to take it off the the road after doing a little research on how much people pay for part ex (no matter condition of car) and in my area its about £500. With the plans to use as part ex next year when we will be able to afford a decent 2nd hand car.

So we have declared it SORN and we have parked up in our secure back yard.

When I have tried to change the insurance I have been informed that the only other option is 3rd party fire and theft which will cost the same as our fully comp policy.

Grrrrrrrr.

So, now we have a car that's worth potentially £500 towards a new car, we have to continue to pay over £200 insurance annual policy on this, the insurance expires 29.01.11 and then we won't be able to renew because we have no MOT on it?!!

I am getting all confused here and frustrated. Can someone please help and advise on what kind of insurance is the most suitable - do all insurers offer laid up insurance?

Should I just dump the car at the local scrapyard and mourn the death of my faithful companion!!!! hahahahahaha!

Thanks for listening to my whingeing!! I feel like I am going around in circles!

dirtyepic
    DEBT FREE SINCE SEPTEMBER 2015 :beer::beer::beer:
  • dirtyepic wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am after some advice please with regards the issue of off road insurance.

We can't currently afford a replacement car for our 98 micra.

The micra will cost at least £400 to repair to get it through its MOT, then taxed (expired 31.08.11)

We have decided to take it off the the road after doing a little research on how much people pay for part ex (no matter condition of car) and in my area its about £500. With the plans to use as part ex next year when we will be able to afford a decent 2nd hand car.

So we have declared it SORN and we have parked up in our secure back yard.

When I have tried to change the insurance I have been informed that the only other option is 3rd party fire and theft which will cost the same as our fully comp policy.

Grrrrrrrr.

So, now we have a car that's worth potentially £500 towards a new car, we have to continue to pay over £200 insurance annual policy on this, the insurance expires 29.01.11 and then we won't be able to renew because we have no MOT on it?!!

I am getting all confused here and frustrated. Can someone please help and advise on what kind of insurance is the most suitable - do all insurers offer laid up insurance?

Should I just dump the car at the local scrapyard and mourn the death of my faithful companion!!!! hahahahahaha!

Thanks for listening to my whingeing!! I feel like I am going around in circles!

dirtyepic

I don’t understand the question. if you park in your back yard off road and have declared sorn then you do not by law have to have any insurance as not on public road.

When you go to a car dealer & buy a new car they would give you £500 of the LIST price if you gave them an empty bean can!
    going with cash will get you a far better discount than any trade in.
    If you take for part exchange for a second hand car the dealer will give you (on paper not money ) a lot more but not so much as cash,
    as he only pays VAT on the difference in price between the buying of old car to selling of second-hand car so the more you get for trade in value (on paper) the more profit he makes less vat legally paid. ( but he will not say this to you just offer you better price for your car AFTER you agree price on car you are buying, as anything else might not be seen as strictly legal but the amount of trade in to buying is between buyer & seller so fully within the law. This will not be done by all dealers just a few & only with the right customers, they have years of experience of how much money they can get out of people and as with " harry Endfields" character can see you coming! so take somebody with you who knows about cars & buying & selling you will save a fortune & get a very good deal. Remember cash is the king credit cards will cost you (5% more built in price) but not any protection as you will SIGN the receipt for car stating you or your [FONT=&quot]Representative[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT] have checked it & agreed to take in condition you see it in after testing yourself. Unless major fault that would be mot fail found later, no chance of money back, but even then you signed to say checked, but mot people would prosecute garage that did mot so money back no problem under those Unlikely circumstances because dealer would not want attention of trading standards and most are very honest & honour guarantees but paperwork to safeguard themselves against consumer tv programs… . good luck
    The richard montgomery matter

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides