MSE News: Compulsory car insurance rules come into force today

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    I now have no choice but to drive illegally!

I don't want to but I can't afford continuous insurance, I live miles away from a supermarket cheap enough for me to shop at. I have to drive, it's not feasible to walk. Before I used to buy day insurance twice a month as I could afford and do all my errands and shopping in one day. Now I simply have to SORN my car, but I can't stop using it.

Now if I get caught I will get my car confiscated. I won't be able to pay to get it back from the pound. I used to be entirely legal but now in the interests of the insurance companies making a few more bob I'm not going to be in that position.

Thanks government for shafting me that little bit more. I really needed that at the moment :(:(:(:(:(:(

Go for a resticted mileage policy, will probably be cheaper than daily insurance. (which I never even knew existed).
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    We've gone for a massive excess as well. The excess is now probably three times what the car is worth.
  • PaulS43
    PaulS43 Posts: 73 Forumite
    I do NOT advocate driving without insurance at all BUT-

Playing devil's advocate here:

If the car is registered to someone who doesn't actually exist (or the under 10 years of age child of parents) then the registered keeper can not get fined in the post because he won't exist or will be too young to do so!

Rather than all these databases of who's what and which form has been filled in and 21 days sorn means double tax, etc, etc, etc Why don't they just add the cost of insurance to petrol?

Then If the car is being used, basic 3rd party insurance will have been paid. No need for large databases and lots of people running around (who COULD make mistakes) and the insurance industry (those "HONEST JOE" types who complain about us members of the public whilst mis-selling us PPI, for example) can not sit there smiling sweetly whilst screwing us!
  • ronangel
    ronangel Posts: 124 Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I'm not clear on the issue - is it fitness? too risk avers??? or carrying capacity?
    For most adults a few miles should be about 15 mins and relatively easy going.
    Carrying is easily solved with panniers and/or a rucksack.

Clearly cycling will not work for someone with health issues, but it certainly is a viable way to travel and get shopping.
    For those that can't afford a car, it's not as simple as turning up your nose at other options, they have to look at alternatives and I accept that cycling won't work for everyone.
    Perhaps a hybird option will work for some (does for me) when you get the heavy stuff once a month in a taxi and cycle for the lighter items.

Lift sharing was put forward as a serious suggestion as well.
    There are websites to help people do this.
    What is wrong with that suggestion may I ask???
    I've done it for many years.
    There are now websites where you can put in your details to find a match although I would have thought in a rural community you'd be better off going to the local shop/pub/church and just talking to people.

These were put forward as quite serious suggestions although I accept people with disabiities or health issues can't cycle.

This person might be getting by for now but at some stage they will need 4 tyres.
    Paying for insurance, tax, depreciation, maintenance, seviceing, repairs, MOT, breakdown covers, fuel & parking, makes owning a vehicle not very money saving if you only do a few trips.
    I expect this person is not paying much depreication or maintenance, but eventually they will have to fork out for something.

I have no axe to grind for people that can afford it, but those that don't can't afford to turn up their nose at other options.
    There are many more people nowadays who cannot afford to run cars due to insurance.

Has the person thought about getting a moped (50cc) which can be driven on a car licence with no extra test, box could be fitted or held on passenger seat for shopping with aerolastic. modern ones have automatic gears simple to ride & no pedal effort very cheap to run twice a month just don’t go when it rains or wrap up when cold.
    If you drive without insurance on your car and get caught you could lose your licence, have an accident even if not your fault lose licence & be if it was your fault libel for all damage caused if person hurt sued & lose your HOUSE as a property owner you have an asset which the other persons insurance company WILL go after!
    This new law will only affect law abiding people others will leave old car registered in somebody else’s name & do a runner if caught or not care if 17 years old with no licence would cost them £1000's to get insured even if past their test against a £200+ fine which they will not pay & no assets to chase them for. If kill or hurt somebody damage property. They will drive off at full speed even in heavy traffic not to get caught & not stop until crash to avoid prison if caught before. so this law endangers everybody. This will cost the motorist even more as the uninsured deaths paid by companies will put up premiums even more. A special policy should be made for these youngsters affordable if they obey the law, which would cover the majority the others would not bother with it anyway & could not care less, as nothing will happen to them & they know it.
    The richard montgomery matter

• i have just bought a new car
    my old car is for sale on my yard
    obviously i swapped my insurance to my new car
    my old car is taxed but not now insured
    why should i have to insure my old car which is for sale
    its a stupid law and so unfare
    if i sorn it then anybody who wants to buy it cant simply insure and drive away
    im gutted
    just another nail in the motorists coffin !!
  • ronangel
    ronangel Posts: 124 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2011 at 5:54AM
    robertru wrote: »
    i have just bought a new car
    my old car is for sale on my yard
    obviously i swapped my insurance to my new car
    my old car is taxed but not now insured
    why should i have to insure my old car which is for sale
    its a stupid law and so unfare
    if i sorn it then anybody who wants to buy it cant simply insure and drive away
    im gutted
    just another nail in the motorists coffin !!

you can change your insurance to your new car and ask them to leave temporary insurance cover on old car (costs small amount dependant on if full cover) until you sell it. ask for two weeks & you can cancel after sold or extend if you don’t probably up to one month, up to company.
    The richard montgomery matter

• ronangel wrote: »
    you can change your insurance to your new car and ask them to leave temporary insurance cover on old car (costs small amount dependant on if full cover) until you sell it. ask for two weeks & you can cancel after sold or extend if you don’t probably up to one month, up to company.

already had the insurance a month on my new car
    tried for temp ins with them and they said no
    so i might just wait for the dvla letter
    i think its a terrible law against honest people
    it wont make any difference to the uninsured skum out there
  • simon06
    simon06 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Most insurance companies dont do temp cover if they do it usually costs a arm and a leg and the companies that dont force you to take out 1yr policy just for you car to sit in your driveway whilst you sell it for example.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has the person thought about getting a moped (50cc) which can be driven on a car licence with no extra test
    I am pretty sure you have to do a CBT course (the C stands for compulsory) but it's definitely another option.
    The downsides are training (CBT), gear, carrying capacity and weather, but those aren't insurmountable issues.
    My first moped did 200 miles to the gallon so potentially it can be a really cheap way to get round especially if it's short trips.
  • bigbadsad
    bigbadsad Posts: 19 Forumite
    Do you have to declare the car SORN if it is not in use then? Even if only for a week?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure