MSE News: Compulsory car insurance rules come into force today

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting point teddyco, but the law on this has already been broken.
    For example if you don't receive an NIP (notice of intended prosecution through the post) and hence don't respond then you can be taken to court for not responding.
    Furthermore it may be the case that you weren't even driving as the NIP goes to the registered keeper.

This has already been tested through the courts and I'm afraid this presumption of innocence doesn't exist anymore.

Yes it' wrong and should be challenged.
  • jamesallenjamesallen Forumite
    246 Posts
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Interesting point teddyco, but the law on this has already been broken.
    For example if you don't receive an NIP (notice of intended prosecution through the post) and hence don't respond then you can be taken to court for not responding.
    Furthermore it may be the case that you weren't even driving as the NIP goes to the registered keeper.

This has already been tested through the courts and I'm afraid this presumption of innocence doesn't exist anymore.

Yes it' wrong and should be challenged.

How do you complain about a law? I think this is ridiculous and pointless - should I write to my MP, or what? I don't expect it'll do anything, but surely there's some way to protest other than voting every four/five years?
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    No they aren't.
    People commute on bicycles every day and lift share. There are websites for liftsharing.
    I KNOW my ideas are sensible as I've lived them for years.
    Donkey and cart is just being a troll and I've reported you.

Why come on here to troll when someone is in obvious distress and close to breaking point??

If you're seriously suggesting that someone go on a bicycle,on a rural road of all places with a fortnights worth of shopping then you might as well tell them to borrow a farmers cow and ride it there and back.
  • CrabmanCrabman Forumite, Board Guide
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Board Guide Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone received a cheque for £30 from their insurance company yet?

You know, £30 being the cost that uninsured drivers supposedly add to each policy... ;)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• JonyJony Forumite
    103 Posts
    I hate this, it will do no help trying to stop the people its ment to. I now have a car which I taxed a couple of months ago, insurance came through for renewal and has no DOUBLED (no change in any details!) so I have decided to sell the car. now the car is laid up in a secure unit well off the road, now I have had to send the tax disc back in for a refund and if I do sell the car within the next couple of weeks I dont get a full refund!?!? it stinks!
  • edited 21 June 2011 at 10:13AM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 June 2011 at 10:13AM
    If you're seriously suggesting that someone go on a bicycle,on a rural road of all places with a fortnights worth of shopping then you might as well tell them to borrow a farmers cow and ride it there and back.
    I'm not clear on the issue - is it fitness? too risk avers??? or carrying capacity?
    For most adults a few miles should be about 15 mins and relatively easy going.
    Carrying is easily solved with panniers and/or a rucksack.

Clearly cycling will not work for someone with health issues, but it certainly is a viable way to travel and get shopping.
    For those that can't afford a car, it's not as simple as turning up your nose at other options, they have to look at alternatives and I accept that cycling won't work for everyone.
    Perhaps a hybird option will work for some (does for me) when you get the heavy stuff once a month in a taxi and cycle for the lighter items.

Lift sharing was put forward as a serious suggestion as well.
    There are websites to help people do this.
    What is wrong with that suggestion may I ask???
    I've done it for many years.
    There are now websites where you can put in your details to find a match although I would have thought in a rural community you'd be better off going to the local shop/pub/church and just talking to people.

These were put forward as quite serious suggestions although I accept people with disabiities or health issues can't cycle.

This person might be getting by for now but at some stage they will need 4 tyres.
    Paying for insurance, tax, depreciation, maintenance, seviceing, repairs, MOT, breakdown covers, fuel & parking, makes owning a vehicle not very money saving if you only do a few trips.
    I expect this person is not paying much depreication or maintenance, but eventually they will have to fork out for something.

I have no axe to grind for people that can afford it, but those that don't can't afford to turn up their nose at other options.
    There are many more people nowadays who cannot afford to run cars due to insurance.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you complain about a law? I think this is ridiculous and pointless - should I write to my MP, or what?

It's not that easy at all.
    I'd say your options were to - write to your MP or form a group.
    Forming a group of similarly like minded individuals and taking action as a group is likely to have a much greater effect.

Trouble is that most of us are too busy with our own daily lives to take on full time campaigning.
    Perhaps talk to Mikey72 as I think he was looking into how to change things in insurance at some stage.
    I would say you'd need some influential people on your side to make progress.
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    It's not that easy at all.
    I'd say your options were to - write to your MP or form a group.
    Forming a group of similarly like minded individuals and taking action as a group is likely to have a much greater effect.

Trouble is that most of us are too busy with our own daily lives to take on full time campaigning.
    Perhaps talk to Mikey72 as I think he was looking into how to change things in insurance at some stage.
    I would say you'd need some influential people on your side to make progress.

I don't think there would be much chance of changing this, unless it appears not to work, as the government make money on the road tax, the insurance premium tax, and finally on the corporation tax on insurance companies.
    The insurers who lobbied for it get extra revenue, and the FOS and FSA can't act as it is the legal way to operate.
    I foresee the sorning and tax refund changing maybe, to introduce "day tax" to go with day insurance.

I'm complainig/lobbying about the exploiting of tied in customers, who face big price hikes mid term, and auto renewals that happen at 3 times the normal price, it looks like "treating the customer fairly" may be the way to go there, but I don't think enough complaints have been made yet to set a precedent.
    And it is slow to get anywhere.
  • Some of the comments some people have been making are bizarre at best and deeply hurtful at worst. Martin Lewis has been very quiet about this, surely it's just pushed hundreds of thousands (if not a couple of million) people closer to poverty for the benefit of the insurance firms and governments coffers.

I don't know how anyone can say these laws will be effective when they're making previously innocent drivers like me now have no choice but to break the law whereas before I didn't. I just have no choice, if I don't it will destroy my life anyway :(
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth looking at a laid up policy, if it does work the way my insurers told me it would.
    It's a lot cheaper than a normal policy, they quoted me £40, and assured me it would be shown as insured on askmid, and so I could then keep the tax on it.
    I would guess you could then insure it on a day policy and drive it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals