MSE News: Compulsory car insurance rules come into force today

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Three questions...
    1. In terms of the village dweller, what's the deal with tax if you tax your sorned car, then sorn it, then tax it again all in the same month? Would you end up paying twice as much tax?

2. What is this "laid up" policy?

3. What happens now when you sell a car? Previously you'd buy a new car and transfer your insurance on to it, after moving your old car off the road (but keep it taxed). Then a prospective buyer could test drive your old car under their own insurance. Now you'd either need to sorn your old car (and so the prospective buyer couldn't test drive it) or insure it which would cost a fortune?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or he/she could even buy a donkey and cart. :p

What's your issue.
    I suggested what might be practical alternatives.
    If you want to poke fun then perhaps do it on thread where someone is not on the edge with desperation.
    I am really quite concerned for this person.
    1. In terms of the village dweller, what's the deal with tax if you tax your sorned car, then sorn it, then tax it again all in the same month? Would you end up paying twice as much tax?

I was thinking along the same lines.
    I'm not exactly sure how it works, but can you keep your tax and just SORN your car twice a month? or is it more complicated than that?

2. It covers a car against theft (and maybe fire) but not "on the road).

3. Yep it hits private sellers.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    What's your issue.
    If you want to poke fun then perhaps do it on thread where someone is not on the edge with desperation.

I was thinking along the same lines.
    I'm not exactly sure how it works, but can you keep your tax and just SORN your car twice a month? or is it more complicated than that?

2. It covers a car against theft (and maybe fire) but not "on the road).

3. Yep it hits private sellers.

You have to send the tax disk in for a refund to declare sorn, and on the V14

"If you tax your vehicle within 21 days of making a SORN you will
    not qualify for or get a refund."
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    What's your issue.

:rotfl:

My suggestions are every bit as sensible as yours.
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2011 at 4:03PM
    Options
    !!!!!!! I am going on holiday on the 22nd and I'm back on the 29th which is when I want to insure my car again (it ran out of insurance 2 days ago but I don't need to use it for a while). When I went to declare SORN it's saying I can't retax the vehicle for 3 weeks if I do. So I can't SORN and I don't want to reinsure yet. What a con.

Reedit: I thought I had misunderstood but the above is actually true.

I'm going to have to wait for the Insurance Advisory Letter because I can't do much else.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    You have to send the tax disk in for a refund to declare sorn, and on the V14

So not easy to keep SORNING a car then :-(
  • lisyloo
    edited 20 June 2011 at 3:32PM
    Options
    My suggestions are every bit as sensible as yours.
    No they aren't.
    People commute on bicycles every day and lift share. There are websites for liftsharing.
    I KNOW my ideas are sensible as I've lived them for years.
    Donkey and cart is just being a troll and I've reported you.

Why come on here to troll when someone is in obvious distress and close to breaking point??
  • mikey72
    Options
    pendulum wrote: »
    !!!!!!! I am going on holiday on the 22nd and I'm back on the 29th which is when I want to insure my car again (it ran out of insurance 2 days ago but I don't need to use it for a while). When I went to declare SORN it's saying I can't retax the vehicle for 3 weeks if I do. So I can't SORN and I don't want to reinsure yet. What a con.

Doesn't seem well thought out.
    The only people it'll catch are the honest ones who insure anyway, and would worry about being illegal.
    The un-insured won't care, or will now have to pay for a laid up policy for a few pounds a year, then drive as normal.
    As highhorse said earlier, the products will be there soon.
    I wonder if you can now tax a car with a laid up policy, as that sort of defeats the point again, but my insurers did say it would be on askmid........
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    £40 for a laid up policy on one of ours.
    I'm assured it will be on askmid, so we can keep the tax on, and as I don't own it, I can drive it on the doc extension on my insurance. (which doesn't require the car to be otherwise insured).
    So basically nothing changes, and it's an easy £40 for the insurance industry.

For uninsured drivers it's a dream, they can can carry on as before, so long as someone has paid the extra £40 for the right piece of paper. They'll stand much less chance of being pulled as the ANPR won't flag it anymore as uninsured.
    And we'll be watching the insurance companies offering "laid up" policies like sharks in a feeding frenzy.
    But surely the ANPR will show it as "off the Road", not "Insured"?
  • mikey72
    Options
    My insurance company assure me askmid will say it has insurance, and I don't need to surrender the tax and declare sorn, maybe someone else in the indutry can agree/disagree?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure