MSE News: Compulsory car insurance rules come into force today

Replies

• hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikey72 wrote: »
    It's worth looking at a laid up policy, if it does work the way my insurers told me it would.
    It's a lot cheaper than a normal policy, they quoted me £40, and assured me it would be shown as insured on askmid, and so I could then keep the tax on it.
    I would guess you could then insure it on a day policy and drive it.

Yes I would think that would be worth looking into for those that want to continue to own a car and only have very occasional use of it. They should look into whether the laid up policy providers would be happy for the car to be separately Insured for occasional use on the road.

In regard to no_choice_now comments, most posters have some sympathy for your situation, but this is not something that either MSE or posters to it are going to campaign on. There are too many cars being used illegally and something has to be done about it. As commented in a previous post, I think the government are wrong about the way they are dealing with this. They need to get together with Insurers and motoring organisations to find a better solution. For those that have a problem that should speak to their local council authority and if necessary their MP's.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • pendulumpendulum Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    huckster wrote: »
    There are too many cars being used illegally and something has to be done about it.
    How about proper punishments for those who get caught? The police already have loads of powers to detect uninsured drivers in the act and confiscate their cars. The punishments through the courts should be stiffer if the government really wants to solve the problem. Instead they are in cahoots with the insurance companies to make money from innocent motorists, having changed the rules so you now no longer have to commit the offence of driving without insurance to be targeted as an uninsured driver!

They're adding extra bureaucracy whilst doing nothing to deter real criminals. Those who deliberately drive without insurance don't care whether their car is legal or not, and yet another law for them to break isn't going to change that. Really !!!!es me off that I've been criminalised for keeping a car on my drive which I can't even SORN because I'd lose the right to the tax refund if I retax within 21 days.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    I have no axe to grind for people that can afford it, but those that don't can't afford to turn up their nose at other options.
    There are many more people nowadays who cannot afford to run cars due to insurance.

Then what was the problem with my suggestions?
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then what was the problem with my suggestions?

I don't think you were serious looking at the smileys.
    As someone's life is about to be destroyed then I think you should go and poke fun elsewhere.

If you were serious then how about doign a cost comparison for a donkey and a bicycle including accomodation, fuel, maintenenace etc.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    I don't think you were serious looking at the smileys.
    As someone's life is about to be destroyed then I think you should go and poke fun elsewhere.

I don't think a lot of people would take your suggestions seriously given their impractibility and your melodramatic tone.
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't think a lot of people would take your suggestions seriously given their impractibility and your melodramatic tone.
    Hundreds of thousands of people use bicycles daily for transport.
    If they want to carry things............wait for it..............they TAKE A BAG :-))))))

It's ridiculously melodramatic to say it's not safe to ride on rural roads or you need to be an elite athlete to cycle a few miles or it's too difficult because you have to buy a BAG (good grief).

It's ridiculous to suggest that someone takes on the daily care of an animal to do two trips a month !!!!!

If you don't like the ideas then fine, but I've saved £4K over about 2 years by having a car, so it's certainly possible for people who are prepared to make a little effort.
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of people use bicycles daily for transport.
    If they want to carry things............wait for it..............they TAKE A BAG :-))))))

It's ridiculously melodramatic to say it's not safe to ride on rural roads or you need to be an elite athlete to cycle a few miles or it's too difficult because you have to buy a BAG (good grief).

It's ridiculous to suggest that someone takes on the daily care of an animal to do two trips a month !!!!!

If you don't like the ideas then fine, but I've saved £4K over about 2 years by having a car, so it's certainly possible for people who are prepared to make a little effort.

How rural are you?
    What age and health group are you in?
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not rural although I have experience of cycling on different types of roads and tracks.
    I have never found rural roads to be a problem. The worst roads for me are A roads with fast traffic and big lorries.
    I obviously don't know this persons area and whether there are any cycle tracks or canal routes that could be used.
    Perhaps it's awful and totally impractical but unless we ask, we will never know.
    What age and health group are you in?

Largely sedentary, average fitness.
    I don't believe a few miles" should be beyond any adult without health problems. (10mph is pretty slow on tarmac so I reckon it would be about 15-20 mins and that's leisurely).

I wasn't actually trying to promote cycling really it appears to have been picked on - there have been several good suggestions - lift share, internet shopping, council services etc.
    There are many options like - sharing lifts, car share, motorycle/scooter, bicycle, trains, buses, council services, walking and also the more expensive taxi and car hire options.
    For most people one option isn't going to cover all their transport needs.

Cycling or any of the other options are clearly going to be impractical for some people depending on their state of health, where they live, the local roads and what and whom they have to take with them. There is no argument that some options will not work for some people. Obviously I would not have mentioned cycling if I knew of the health issues.
    That doesn't mean it's totally ridiculous to ever ask a question or make any suggestions

I have no axe to grind if people want cars and can afford them.
    But increasingly we are coming across people that can't afford the insurance and don't want to break the law (and surely we must support their lawful abidingness).
    In some cases it simply does not make sense to pay the depreciation, maintenanance, tax, insurance, repairs, servicing, MOT, breakdown cover, fuel, parking etc.
    Bicycles are not a ridiculous mode of transport neither am I trying to promote them. It merely seemed one of the more appropriate options for a "couple of miles".
    I accept people circumstances are different and where you live and your health affect what you an do.

Of course we try to help people as much as possible and tell them to shop round for their insurance and try to help them with cashback, brokers, trackers etc. first, but ultimately there are some people who are clearly telling us that they just can't afford it.
    I really can't see anything ridiculous or melodramatic in my intial post (or this one). A little off-topic perhaps but we do try to help people that have problems and it's only by asking questions that can suggest or rule out certain solutions.
    It does seem a bit "off" to try to score points and take the mick when someone is clearly reaching out for help (no, I don't think that's melodramatic, I think it's insensitive not to see it).
  • mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I'm not rural .........

Largely sedentary, average fitness...............

And at a guess, mid thirties?

Rural -
    ten miles of roads with no pavement, no verge or gutter, and traffic doing 70+mph, interspaced with JCB tractors doing 45+mph, while clipping the hedges with the side of the plough, and either being overtaken, or moving in to avoid cars the other way.
    Occasionally a combine harvester using both sides of the road.

That's what you get normally, it's not always Sunday morning. Then it's just the combines.

Bus service twice a day, there and back, but not to all the towns, and only from the village centre, which may be a mile or two from most houses. Our bus is six times a week, and it's a half mile walk.

Most elderly folk have lived here most of there life, where born in the house, had the family, their husband had passed away in the house, and they want to one day.
    They don't want to move onto an estate with a bus stop staring through the front window, and with no-one they know.

They drive, or potter, two or three miles to see their friends, drive them to the local tesco's once or twice a week, have a meal, and potter back. When they lose their car, 4 or 5 people lose it too.
    They go to the garden centre, and go to the WI.

Without the car, they don't go out.
    But they obey the law, so they don't drive uninsured.

We do have a few cyclists, usually only the lycra clad cycling club that come through on Sunday morning.
    And most of those drive to just up the road, and take their bikes of the roof there.
  • ILWILW
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something, if you don't drive the vehicle or leave it on the road a SORN costs nothing. If you do drive it or leave it on teh road it must be insured. What is the problem?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals