Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• jojo-baby
    Options
    Had a lovely dinner out with BF over the weekend and I mentioned it and said how much I want to marry him and was he going to make me wait forever? When we had been together a year we went travelling to NZ and saw my best friend, she was single then, she is now engaged and I will be her bridesmaid in April, his response to this is "well you only moved here 6 months ago" which makes me angry as i moved here a year ago, which was bl00dy scary for me, and now we have been together for almost 4 years.... ok so 3 of those were long distance, but sooooo?
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    newthrift wrote: »

He did mention yesterday about ooo we have been together 5 years soon...(29th Jan). If he hasn't before that date believe me i'll be watching his every move:o:p

6 years on 23rd March for us! and we've been living together just over 5 years and have 3 children.... waiting waiting waiting.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • jojo-baby
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    6 years on 23rd March for us! and we've been living together just over 5 years and have 3 children.... waiting waiting waiting.

oh pigpen you definately beat me then!
  • Whoop
    Whoop Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    6 years next month for me ��
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Gosh cannot believe people are talking about this - as if women had to wait and hint! Sounds rather Victorian to me.

We were together three years, got engaged and then married after a further 6 months - wedding organised within a week and no - not pregnant.

Never got a proposal at all - we just knew we'd get married - talked about it and decided.

Why all the waiting and fussing - if you all are supposed to know each other so well?
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • waiting450
    Options
    7roland8
    cant speak for the others but for me it I want to be asked, this is the one area of my life where I have to cede control to someone else and if they make the choice that they love me enough to spend the rest of their life with me then there is no higher respect and love to me.

So yes it may be more fuss and more drama (very quietly in my case since I never mention it to him), but I feel it is worth the effort in the long run... Hope that helps explain!
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    7roland8 wrote: »
    Gosh cannot believe people are talking about this - as if women had to wait and hint! Sounds rather Victorian to me.

We were together three years, got engaged and then married after a further 6 months - wedding organised within a week and no - not pregnant.

Never got a proposal at all - we just knew we'd get married - talked about it and decided.

Why all the waiting and fussing - if you all are supposed to know each other so well?

It is a personal choice. You were happy to have a conversation about getting married, not have a proposal and to organise a wedding in a week, which was great for you as it was what you wanted. Personally I think this takes all the romance out of the occasion, and similar to Waiting450 I also want it to be the one time in my life that someone else takes the control and make the decision that they love me so much they want to ask me to marry them.

Neither way is the 'right' way it is just how the individual would like it :)
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    7roland8 wrote: »

Gosh, I can't believe you're such an intensive xXxX to post a ridiculous reply on a thread which clearly has no bearing to you. You're obviously married, and do not understand how people on here feel, so gosh, why post???
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Gosh, I can't believe you're such an intensive xXxX to post a ridiculous reply on a thread which clearly has no bearing to you. You're obviously married, and do not understand how people on here feel, so gosh, why post???

Because this is an open forum and anyone is free to post I guess?
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just because I saw the title and way intrigued - no malice intended.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure