Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Waiting 450! Sometimes I give myself a little talking to and remind myself to stop worrying and have some fun instead! Sometimes it is easy to become fixed on it and forget about enjoying yourself! I like your comment about making everything feel 'married' - I think I am guilty of this too!

Jojo-baby - ah proposal twinnies! Fingers crossed we become wedding-date twinnies too VERY soon! haha I have decided I am going to drop more things naturally into conversation, as I really don't fancy the serious 'We need to talk about marriage' conversation. Now just to convince him to watch Don't Tell The Bride with me so I have a way to bring it up haha

Gayleygoo - Would your OH consider a quick ceremony with close family and children followed by a family meal? So the sentiment of the marriage is there without making a big fuss (if that's what he doesn't like). You are clearly commited to each other after 10 years and 3 children, so it's obviously not that haha

Newthrift - eek thats exciting about going shopping. In an ideal world this is what I would want (and haven't had!) - a casual shop trying on lots of different styles and commenting on what looks best and size, then he can go and purchase one himself. That way I get a ring I like/want but it is still a surprise when I get it as he will have still chosen it himself!

I find it hard to know what type of ring I would like from pictures, as everything looks so different on, and I have never had a reason to try engagement rings on!

My friends reckon I should just go shopping myself and try some one so I know the style I want and can tell them (incase he asks one of them for advice!). Have any of your ladies done this?

Pigpen - getting the kids involved is a great idea haha
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    haha pigpen getting the kids and his mum on him isn't a bad idea ;)

prettykittykat my friend has been and tried rings on with her mum so she can get the style that she wants and then she told her OH (he just said that's nice I don't need to know :rotfl: ) but her mum also know's what she want's should he ask!
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    I think I need to just get it over with newthrift! haha The only problem is I hardly ever go out shopping, never mind with my best friends! I might just pop by a jewellers next time I am out... I can't be the first girl on her own wanting to try on engagement rings surely? I always thought it would look weird but then I'm thinking, I am sure they have seen it many times before! The next tiem I am going shopping is with my OH so doubt I will be trying any then haha
  • newthrift
    Options
    haha possibly not, though you never know ;)
    I can assure you won't be the first women going to try an engagement ring on by herself and I promise you won't be the last. I have done it, my friend has done it and I know a few others too.
    Better to know what style you want, or check you like the one you do, so when you dropping hint's it's for the right ring :)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    and it must help with the right size too??
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    and it must help with the right size too??

Very true! It is my smallest fingers other than my little one, and I have very thin fingers so I definitely need to figure out the size! This is also why I feel I need to try rings on, because my hands are small certain styles won't look right. Will let you all know if I manage to try anything in the next couple of months :)
  • Whoop
    Whoop Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Someone else I know got engaged yesterday and they have been together a year. Arghh when will it be my turn??

Went out last night with some friends who are all married and they kept asking me when we would be getting married. I don't know how to react in that situation as don't want to appear desperate or anything. I just shrug it off but inside its killing me :(
  • waiting450
    Options
    Whoop wrote: »
    Someone else I know got engaged yesterday and they have been together a year. Arghh when will it be my turn??

Went out last night with some friends who are all married and they kept asking me when we would be getting married. I don't know how to react in that situation as don't want to appear desperate or anything. I just shrug it off but inside its killing me :(

THIS for me too! I've had two friends get engaged recently. :(

Just got to keep plodding on and hoping he will wake up sometime Whoop.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    Whoop wrote: »

It's a horrible feeling isn't it! I just try to remember that, that is THEIR fairytale, not mine. Everybodys story is different and everyone has their own happy ending. It doesn't make anyones more or less successful or happier than the other... just different... and our happy ending is coming ladies!

Lots of people ask me about the marriage thing too... lots of 'I am sure he will do it soon' kind of thing. I just say how I would like to get married in the future but I can't see my OH proposing so not to buy a hat anytime soon! I worry I might look desperate and like I have pressured him into it if I say what is really on my mind! Thankfully you ladies understand! haha
  • newthrift
    Options
    I know the feeling, all our friends & family say ooo you'll be next and friends try and guess when it will be. I do know it will be sometime over these next 12months just not when, every time he bends now i'm like ooo ooo :rotfl: he always laughs because he knows what i'm thinking ;) tried on a couple of rings Saturday and we have seen one at H Samuel which is a winner...he said we will go for a proper shop at some point :D this does mean though it will be purchased and in to a drawer which will i'm sure be even more stressful in respect that I know he has everything then he just has to do it :D I wouldn't want to push him in to it though and I know he will do it when he is ready - luckily like you say prettykittykat we all understand each other ha ha!

He did mention yesterday about ooo we have been together 5 years soon...(29th Jan). If he hasn't before that date believe me i'll be watching his every move:o:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family