Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooo fab news prettykittykat :dance: wonderful feeling when you know they are thinking & possibly planning :D
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • roobee13
    Options
    I have a slight confession...

A girl I used to work with announced her engagement on fb yesterday. Though I am genuinely happy for her, for the first time ever a little voice inside me said 'when will it be my turn!?'

I felt horrible for saying/thinking it but it made me wonder what's wrong with me that no-one has asked. Me and OH had 'the chat' back in the summer and it's all gone quiet since then.

Sorry for the moan, just feeling a bit sorry for myself! As you were :)
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know someone with the opposite issue. Her boyfriend wants to propose but she thinks her family will think her too young (she's 23) and be ashamed.
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    I know someone with the opposite issue. Her boyfriend wants to propose but she thinks her family will think her too young (she's 23) and be ashamed.

I was 23 when OH proposed and we're only just getting married next year (almost 5 years later). I didn't feel a need to get married straight away because we didn't even live in the same county at the time. Maybe she should speak to her parents and just get a general idea about how they feel? My OH actually went out for coffee with my dad to talk about it and my dad gave his blessing. He's not one to take decisions lightly (and apparently said it was up to me anyway!) so I feel glad that he was supportive in what I wanted to do with my life. Hope your friend figures out what is best soon.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was 23 when OH proposed and we're only just getting married next year (almost 5 years later). I didn't feel a need to get married straight away because we didn't even live in the same county at the time. Maybe she should speak to her parents and just get a general idea about how they feel? My OH actually went out for coffee with my dad to talk about it and my dad gave his blessing. He's not one to take decisions lightly (and apparently said it was up to me anyway!) so I feel glad that he was supportive in what I wanted to do with my life. Hope your friend figures out what is best soon.

No, not really an option - when they do (finally) get engaged they will get married the following year. She's from a (cringe...) "good" family and there's a way things 'should be done' - I feel for her. 23 isn't too young for me as she would be 24 when married going on what she's told me. Her OH is 26. It's a tricky one! It's not really the sort of thing they'd talk about - very stiff upper lip type family. She told me all this quite recently, I didn't really know how to advise! Glad it worked out well for you.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    How are you all ladies?

Only 27 sleeps till Christmas!
  • newthrift
    Options
    Hello All :)
    Prettykittykat - I am well thank you how are you?
    Buzzybee - Hope thing's work out well for your friend.
    Robee - feel free to come for a moan whenever :D Sometimes men do that though, there a funny breed ;)

Very excited for Christmas, OH keeps making hints at 'how special christmas will be' and how 'you don't know everything I have got you for Christmas' with a coy smile - baring in mind I brought and he then paid me back for the two gifts he has got me slippers and a pair of lycra exercise leggings..roll on Christmas I'm hoping for a extra good day :D:D
  • newthrift
    Options
    I hope everyone is well :)
  • jojo-baby
    Options
    Hey ladies, ah christmas soon, and a chance for BF to see my Dad, and we will be on holiday. i'm terrified im going to let myself get my hopes up and then nothing will happen!
    hug to everyone who needs it!
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    newthrift - I am good. Looking forward to Christmas. It is the first one that me and the OH have been living together for so we have been purchasing our own tree and decorations and put them up :). Sadly we won't wake up together on xmas day :( But I will see him later on for Christmas dinner! Oooooh that sounds very promising for you! Even if it's not the present we all hope it is for you, it sounds like you are getting a cracking surprise anyway!

jojo-baby: I always think 'he will be seeing my Dad, could it be the time he asks?!' too! It's really hard not to get your hopes up but try to focus on enjoying the festive season and your holiday. If it happens, amazing, and if it doesn't then you will have had a brilliant time together to remember anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure