Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• chicacherrycola
    Options
    I've popped in and out of this thread for a little while now and ladies I feel your pain.

I will have been with my boyfriend for 9 years this Christmas.

I am 27 and have watched my closest friends first get married and now start to have babies.

I just want it to be my turn (that sounds pathetic).

I know what it is like at every birthday or Christmas or holiday to wait and wait and then realise that it wont be happening this time either.

I don't want a big gesture or hell even a big wedding but I would like wedding! Preferably before I'm 30.
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    prettykittykat Oooo it will be lovely :) Even though you don't get to wake up together Christmas morning, it will soon go and you get the rest of the day then :D
    jojo-baby I know that feeling. You just never know ;) It will come when you least expect it.
    chicacherrycola It doesn't sound pathetic at all, hugs!!! Fingers crossed it happens soon, have you spoke about it to see if he has marriage on the mind?

I have some happy news, it was late night shopping Friday 5th at our local town and we went for a look and OH mentioned we would look in the jewelers (which is a local, town grown one) and we found the ring and he purchased :j I get to pick it up on Saturday but then have to hand it over to OH for whenever he decides to pop the question. It is a palladium ring (always wanted platinum but a bit of research shows this is quite equal but cheaper) with three stones in a row all the same size :) officially will be a nervous wreck whenever he bends down :o
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • sazpot
    sazpot Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    How exciting newthrift! Have you told any friends? It is soooo hard to keep it a secret.

My OH fessed up in March that he had taken time off to shop and really struggled to fine one. He then took time off without telling me in August to shop again and failed miserably.

We went shopping together later in August and ordered one which took 10 weeks to be ready! He picked it up, trying not to let on and this time failing miserably.

The following week we went to Dubai for 5 nights for a holiday and I saw it on the scanner in his backpack at the airport and on the last morning he STILL hadn't given it to me. Cue a grumpy me and a few tears as I was so disappointed that he hadn't bothered to create a time for a proposal, he seemed to think the perfect time would have just appeared!

Since getting home we haven't had much time on our own, he suggested a spa night on Saturday but I have a cold so we didn't book in the end :(

He has now had the ring for over FIVE weeks and it is driving me mad. This weekend is the first weekend I have mentioned it since Dubai. I was so sad not to get my spa night and FINALLY be officially engaged and tell my friends and family!
  • newthrift
    Options
    No we haven't told any friends although our parents do know we have got the ring. Can't wait for Saturday to pick it up, although I am thinking that he might take ages doing it in which case I will be feeling frustrated much like yourself!! I hope he does it soon for you though sazpot, maybe he will do it at random just on an evening at home or something?!
  • chicacherrycola
    Options
    ooh newthift that sounds exciting!

It came up a couple of weeks ago as we have various weddings and renewals and whatnot to go to in 2015. He threw a strop and pulled out the 'I love you isn't that enough' card.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    chicacherrycola: Don't worry this is one place you won't be judgedfor feeling that way! We all know how you feel *hugs*. The ladies on here are all lovely :)

newthrift: oh my to know he has the ring (and you love it) must be killing you! Bet you can't wait to have it sparkling on your finger.

sazpot: Ah how frustrating he didn't do it in Dubai! I always think that it must be horribly daunting to do for a guy though, especially when they know how much it means to you! Fingers crossed the proposal comes soon, and I am sure you will think it is perfect when it happens :)

I hope when you do get your bling ladies you pop a picture of it on here for us to see! hehe
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't have the words to say what I want to say, so I'll just say...

"Aaaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • cloverfan
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Don't have the words to say what I want to say, so I'll just say...

"Aaaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Aww hope your ok. Congratulations to everyone who has become engaged since I have last been on here.
    Determind to make a better life for ME and my children

Thanks to hangingbyathread for making me include myself in the above xx
  • newthrift
    Options
    hugs to you hieveryone
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    I suspect that there is no ring for me this Christmas, but I am being made to feel very special anyway :)

Hope some of you get the sparkly you want!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport