SAHM paying off debts slowly

Options

Comments

• slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,729 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think as he has discussed it without even asking for my opinion or permission, he knows he will not win when it comes to Christmas.  I hear lots of the conversations when the children come home and get to hear what he says about me lol.  
    And yes everyone keep fingers and toes crossed for a speedy financial divorce
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • slm6002
    Options
    Good afternoon.  We are having a lazy day here although might venture into the loft to get the decorations down shortly.
    Been a busy thinking week as trying to sort out money.  Obviously I'm on benefits, need to renew mortgage, but could receive enough inheritance to pay it off.  However this would then stop the benefits. Just wondering if there is a legal way around it.  Can family member loan it to me instead?  Or pay directly to the mortgage company?  I don't want to break any laws but it would make life so much more secure.  It doesn't have to be given to me now and could be given when they die, but it's now I could make good use of it.  It would also allow me more opportunities to move.  Maybe i could not pay mortgage off but family member could make payment as part of a deposit on new house.  Either way they are still going to be giving me a large amount of money that will no doubt go against my benefits.  No one at the benefits office seems to want to tell me if it is ok to do, until its already been done.  Not much use if its a no after its been done.
    We are in a fairly low covid area, but it is certainly starting to spread this way.  The DD1 and DS's school had their first case (not their bubbles) and now a very nearby nursing home has got many cases.  OH's mother is working there and as OH is currently living with them, its making me wonder if kids should keep seeing him.  She has currently tested negative, but as she is always ill with colds i think its only a matter of time. We will be a tier 2 and looks like only one of the kids clubs will be going ahead until at least jan.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it does count as income unfortunately. And will totally upset your benefits for a year. But its for a year only surely. I tried to look for you. And as you know do nothing until the divorce financial stuff is all sorted. Could you just go on the mortgage standard rate for now? So there's no erc when it is all sorted? Maybe decide to do it all in April so its next tax year and there's no payments to back pay? I hope you can get a definitive answer soon from the benefits people. 
    We did our tree yesterday. Great fun! Xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • slm6002
    Options
    Thanks Kitten, the reason i would need to renew the mortgage is because OH is coming off it and the current mortgage people will not give me a new mortgage due to having a DMP within 6 years.  I was obviously with them before we started the DMP so had been allowed to stay, but now its only me they have said no.  I am interested in the fact that it might only be for a year that i don't have payments.  If i wasn't paying mortgage we might be able to get by for that long,  but no longer.  I was under the impression it was until all monies received had been used up. So if 50k how many of my normal payments can fit into it and that's how many months i can not claim.  I will call them probably on tues as its my day off.
  • Kitten868
    Options
    So annoying as you normally get someone who answers the phone who knows nothing. Maybe speak to citizens advice? Write it all down. I hadn't even thought about him coming off the mortgage. I'm being an idiot sorry!! Xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • slm6002
    Options
    Kitten that's ok.  I keep going round in circles.  The housing lady (who was speaking to me when i said i didn't know if i could get a mortgage and therefore may have become homeless) said it was ok to do as long as it didn't go through my bank account, but the more i read it looks less likely.  Citizens advice when asked were only really able to help on how to claim the benefits rather than what i needed.  They did pass me onto another website, who have in turn said to call universal credits helpline.  Just hoping the person on the end can confirm one way or the other.  Will ask for written confirmation too if its possible.
  • Kitten868
    Options
    As you say if they directly paid your mortgage that could work but you know what they're like. Could your lawyer make clear that he would be taken off the mortgage at a certain date once its been finalised? Rather than you having to apply for a whole new product needlessly? My friend had something worded on her financial part of her divorce. It didn't stop him asking for it sooner but she knows he has to wait. X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • slm6002
    Options
    With OH's financial history i want him off the mortgage asap.  I don't want him piling up the debts again and risking the house being used to pay it off if he didn't pay up.  I will just need to start working on the mortgage again and stay where i am, if payment directly to the mortgage is not allowed.  At least it will be my mortgage and the house will be mine too.  I can make as many overpayments as i like and get it down as much as possible.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Just catching up with all my bookmarked threads, I miss the daily notifications as I then forget to come on.
    I work in benefits advice in my day job so will hopefully be able to help with your questions about your inheritance and UC.
    Can you list the questions and I'll do my best to answer them?
  • slm6002
    Options
    OOH fantastic.....
    Can my uncle and mum pay off my mortgage without universal credits stopping?  They could pay it directly to the mortgage company so it never goes into my bank account.
    If that is not possible, could they loan me the money rather than the mortgage company and i pay them back at a much reduced rate?  Again the money would go directly to the mortgage company rather than to me then to the mortgage company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure