My H Is Taking Me On Friday To Buy My Own Xmas Presents!!!

Options
victory
victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
misspiggy wrote: »
I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)

Comments

• morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make sure he treats you to lunch and several lattes, that's what I say ... and I would play very hard to get and give lots and lots of little hints in a non-committal kind of way ... mind you, at least you know you won't have any of the 'worst christmas presents ever' waiting for you on the 25th ... but I must admit, I think I would feel somewhat 'flat', especially as you have put so much thought into other gifts.
    That's Numberwang!
  • Beamish
    Beamish Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Its awful isn't it., so far I am having MSE Books (ordered myself), Pilamo Piccaso Perfume (Bought in Prague Duty Free Yesterday) and the Take That Ultimate Tour DVD (Came today from CD WOW with his name and addy on), so no surprises for me!

He is going to get a Ticket for the 3 Rugby world cup home matches in Cardiff for 2007, Slippers (desperatly needed) the Divinci Code Book, a luxury clothes brush, George Michael CD, plus a made up hamper of wine, etc for the dinner table present.

You wonder why we go to so much effort dont you!

Whats more I will probably have to go in time with the Midnight Mass church Bells......................LOL

Beem
    Please pull my nightie down when you have finished
  • victory
    edited 18 October 2011 at 10:10AM
    Options
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    If you have an idea of how many you are likely to get, or how much he is likely to spend, then why dont you go into one of the bigger stores, Selfridges, Kendals etc, depending on where you live.

Point out say 5-10-50 (depends how rich he is!) items that you would love.

The go get your hair cut / coloured whatever, or manicure, anything for an hour or two pampering in town, (paid by him), while he chooses which ones he will get.:beer:

That way although you will have an idea, you wont be EXACTLY sure?

They will be things that you love/need, instead of the usual slippers, cd, book etc......

I would love oh to do this with/for me....:T :T
  • kathyd_2
    kathyd_2 Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    I used to buy and wrap my own present when we first married, a few years later just buy and he would wrap. Now I give him a [quite] lengthy list and he buys from that with the instructions that if he deviates from it, to make sure he keeps the receipt, just incase and I don't care how little he spends on me.

I buy throughout the year for his presents but I think women are more imaginative when it comes to buying presents and men aren't [sorry guys].

Does your OH know how unhappy you are? Perhaps you could tell him and suggest he shops alone but to ensure the gift could be exchanged if necessary and between now and Friday possibly come up with a few ideas to keep him on the right track?
  • victory
    Options
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    potogold wrote:
    If you have an idea of how many you are likely to get, or how much he is likely to spend, then why dont you go into one of the bigger stores, Selfridges, Kendals etc, depending on where you live.

Point out say 5-10-50 (depends how rich he is!) items that you would love.

The go get your hair cut / coloured whatever, or manicure, anything for an hour or two pampering in town, (paid by him), while he chooses which ones he will get.:beer:

That way although you will have an idea, you wont be EXACTLY sure?

They will be things that you love/need, instead of the usual slippers, cd, book etc......

I would love oh to do this with/for me....:T :T

this is along the lines of what ive done with OH. he was unsure of what to be me (even i didnt know what i wanted this year :eek:) so i penned him a list of things i would like for him to cherry pick from.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    We did this one year. Went shopping together and hubbie bought me a coat. We were spending Christmas at his parents. He accidentally left the coat at home. On the day, his parents had bought us a piece of furniture as a joint gift, which he unwrapped, and BIL had bought as an absolutely hideous ornament (also a joint gift) which hubbie also unwrapped not realising it was a joint gift. The end result was I had absolutely nothing under the Christmas tree at all - not even a few sweets, and everyone else in the family was surrounded by mounds of paper. DH was mortified and offered to drive back home to get my pressie but we were 200+ miles away and I knew what it was (had even tried it on) so there was no point. I did feel hurt and left out though!

Ever since we've either shopped independently, or done the drop several fairly specific hints, and let him choose from one of these routes, and that has worked well.

As DH has taken the day off though, I would try to ensure that you at least have a lovely day. Go and window shop together, have a nice lunch, then you go home alone and leave him to it, armed with the knowledge of what you like. You could even suggest that he must buy you a small surprise gift in addition to cost not more than £x, so that there will be something you are not expecting under the tree
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Can I give a male perspective without being hunted down and having my testicles removed with a spoon? :confused:

For me I like picking my own presents. I will only ask for stuff I want. I hate pretending that I'm pleased or excited at getting crap! I try as much as possible to leave as little room for other peoples imaginations as possible. :rolleyes:

What would you rather? The prospect of being excited at getting a load of unknown crap or the unsurprising probability of knowing you are gonna get stuff you want and need? :think:
  • victory
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure