My H Is Taking Me On Friday To Buy My Own Xmas Presents!!!

Options

Comments

• kit34
    kit34 Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    my OH does this to me as well , so iu take him round the shops and point at everything i like and then i make myself scarce while he goes back to all the shops and decides which things to get me that way i get what i like and he always puts an extra couple of surprises that ive looked at but not mentioned in , i like to stick to the cheap and cheerful prices at xmas but my eyes light up if i see something sparkly and expensive too he calls this the eye hint :)
    lol
    my name is Kit and im addicted to competitions , the what if is my driving force :D !!

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Is it hormonal? Or laziness?

From my family:

One year I got a (dented) tin of stuffed aubergines, bought on Christmas Eve from the corner shop.

My daughter, having had a baby at the end of October, was given a designer top 2 or 3 sizes too small, 'as an incentive'. I don't know how he still lives, either.

(My other daughter, having put a lot of thought into presents for her new husband, got an unwrapped 'joke' nightie 3 sizes too large.)

This year, she bought herself a handbag for her bday, but said that her 2 little girls would love to be allowed to choose something for her. What she got was a necklace from a hideously expensive jeweller, in luminous Barbie pink. Of course she will wear it, but..........

One year I was so fed up with the disappointment I felt that I suggested that we should give each other nothing, and you have no idea how hurt and offended he was!

I think the really unfair thing is that a lot of men are in fact tricky to buy for, but we work hard, whereas most women are a doddle to buy for. I am beginning to think that they can't be @rsed. Sorry, chaps!
  • arnie&caseysma!
    Options
    I don't think anyone is ungrateful for looking forward to a surprise on Christmas day. I have compiled a list for OH even down to the codes in Argos (one or the other type thing)! There are loads of other things on the list that he will have to put a bit of thought into, in the form of having to look and make a decision himself :eek: . Means he can gets what I want and it can still be a surprise!

Last year I knew I was getting jewellery so was totally surprised to find a new digital camera under the tree aswell and he had gone to great lengths for this - bought it off ebuyer using the account we both used, had to go through it all and change passwords, then into my email as that was where all ebuyer stuff was sent, and delete all emails etc. He fibbed that he and a pal were building a computer for someone and could he borrow my credit card and to get the stuff and he gave me the cash same day to pay it off straight away. Means I knew how much it cost and I was horrified at how much he had spent but it was worth it.:D

This year we are tightening the belts a bit (after paying out over £1000 for a house move that is now not happening:mad: ) so he has been told to stick to the list. He has already got his new fishing rod which is worth four times what I paid for it, and will be getting a couple of extras to open on the day. I just hope I get some surprises!!!!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • sinizterguy
    Options
    wendym wrote:
    whereas most women are a doddle to buy for.

You have got to be joking.
  • going2die_rich
    Options
    Can't you just do the kids present shopping together and then split up. Gave him the hint by saying "right I am off to buy YOUR present and you can't see it else it'll ruin the surprise, so I will meet you here in say an hour."

That way he'll realise you aren't going to point out what you want and have to go and get you something. Hopefully seeing you all excited opening it will make him see that the surprise of it is part of the whole present giving experience making him get yours himself next year without the big hint.

I personally wouldn't ever expect my partner to point out what she wanted. Fair enough with the hints before xmas, but buying it in front of them has to be so impersonal. Why even bother. You might as well give them the money and say pick it up in the sale and keep the difference.

Surely you'd know your partner enough to buy them something they'd like. If you really are a clueless guy, just look at what sort of jewellery they have and get them something similiar. If they have teddy bears everywhere, buy them another. Look at their favourite dress/shoes (write down the size!) and then go hunting for one thats similiar but in a different colour they like - try and match it to some shoes they already have (saves you having to pay for them later on) - go online to find them first then go to the store and just ask the assistant for it from a print out. Saves you battling all the crazed women going through all the stuff. It's hardly brain surgery, and if you use the internet to find everything you want before hand you can be in and out of the stores within minutes and be back home within no time.

That leaves the wrapping, but if you are totally useless at that, just go to clinton's cards once you've dumped your xmas shopping in the car and buy enough gift boxes to just put them in. Buy a packet of bows and you can have the presents packed withing 5 minutes, and to be honest if you put a pair of scissors in the car (obviously don't wonder around the shops with it), you could have them packed up while parked in the drive, that way they can go straight from your car to under the tree. Obviously only cut the tags off the presents if you are certain it's the right size and they will like it else don't and put the receipts in a safe place - doesn't matter how well you know your partner, women always change their minds!
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly sinizterguy, we are a doddle because we are so soppy!

Anything slightly luxurious, that wasn't sold as a 'gift solution', eg a velvet or silk scarf, wrapped and given with warmth, and we'd be putty in your hands.
  • PercyPig
    Options
    Surely you'd know your partner enough to buy them something they'd like. If you really are a clueless guy, just look at what sort of jewellery they have and get them something similiar. If they have teddy bears everywhere, buy them another. Look at their favourite dress/shoes (write down the size!) and then go hunting for one thats similiar but in a different colour they like - try and match it to some shoes they already have (saves you having to pay for them later on) - go online to find them first then go to the store and just ask the assistant for it from a print out. Saves you battling all the crazed women going through all the stuff. It's hardly brain surgery, and if you use the internet to find everything you want before hand you can be in and out of the stores within minutes and be back home within no time.

That leaves the wrapping, but if you are totally useless at that, just go to clinton's cards once you've dumped your xmas shopping in the car and buy enough gift boxes to just put them in. Buy a packet of bows and you can have the presents packed withing 5 minutes, and to be honest if you put a pair of scissors in the car (obviously don't wonder around the shops with it), you could have them packed up while parked in the drive, that way they can go straight from your car to under the tree. Obviously only cut the tags off the presents if you are certain it's the right size and they will like it else don't and put the receipts in a safe place - doesn't matter how well you know your partner, women always change their minds!

Well said :T That was the point I was trying to make really, if you care about your partner then you must know the sort of things they would like but it seems some men (sorry!) aren't prepared to put the time and effort in to it and prefer to take the easy option.
    Dealing with my debt and my weight :D
    Debt at LBM 22/12/08 £33,270
    Debt now £30,100 (9.5% paid off)

£2 coins saved and banked = £210
  • BlondeHeadOn
    Options
    I always get round this problem by giving my OH - IN NOVEMBER - a list of the sort of presents I would like for Christmas, and tell him to choose item(s) from this list. So far he has always bought me everything on the list !!
    :j :rotfl: :j :rotfl: :j :rotfl:

I always have as an item on the list 'A Surprise!', so I always get something unexpected as well.

I do this for my birthday as well - I find it's best to spell out absolutely everything for men to make sure they do what you want them too!!

:D
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have bought some books by my favourite authors and wrapped them up - they will be gifts from DH and Dds on Christmas Day.

I have never asked DH to "surprise" me since he bought me perfume - I thought he would look at the perfume I loved - French and floral - and get me the same thing or something similar by the perfume house!

What did I get - "Charlie!!!!!!!"

I still feel sick at the thought!

He would gladly do anything that I or the Dds "needed" but hates shops and panics like a rabbit caught in headlights.

We make a joke of it now - I buy him stuff like p.j.s, socks etc that he "needs" and he is quite happy.

I unwrap the pressies from him and say "How did you know that was my favourite author?" and Dds fall about laughing.

He will however drive me when I want to go anywhere to shop and will trust my judgement for presents for others.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • kathyd_2
    kathyd_2 Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    Came home from work a little while ago and DH, who is on holiday from work, told me he'd been into town to buy my Christmas presents today. Not only that but he's wrapped them already.

Now he can just sit back and wait for Christmas day to arrive - he's done all he's going to do :DNot strictly true, he's cooked a spag bol for tea :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure