GTD's DFW Diary - Getting Closer to 40...

Options

Comments

• GettingThingsDone
    Options
    found an offer that i'd 'diaried' - put £500 into an ing account and they give you £50 - just filled in the application and will post it today, as the offer runs out at the end of the month. before being dfw, i would have just forgotten about it, so hopefully it will get there in time. its the last of my bank charges money - boo hoo ;)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 208 - Proud To Have Dealt With My Debts DEBT FREE DECEMBER 2008!!!
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck - a 10% bonus is not to be ignored! If you want a couple of other things to put in your diary, head over to the gambling board, and there is a short "sticky" about 3 or 4 pages long on introductory spreadbetting bonuses. There is also a longer one with squillions of pages, so go to the short one! Then scroll through and read the barclays and Hargreaves Lansdowne things - could be worth a go, to take the money out again in 6 months time?
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • GettingThingsDone
    Options
    Thanks for the tip hypno; I'll make a move over to that board over the weekend. I think OH is starting to see the point of matched betting now I've transferred the funds from SS's scheme - money talks...

For some reason I'm procrastinating over my Mint card charges letter. I know I need to reject their £12/charge offer (well accept it as a partial offer) but I just can't seem to get round to writing the letter. Weird - what's wrong with me? Hopefully, writing this will kick my @ss into action.

[REMOVED]
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 208 - Proud To Have Dealt With My Debts DEBT FREE DECEMBER 2008!!!
  • hypno06
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi GTD, it is a shame we can't turn the lightbulb on for people, however, sooner or later it will start to flicker - maybe he has to reach rock bottom before he starts to climb out. Sad but maybe necessary. Just make it known somehow that you will be there when he needs you - just don't mention matched betting if he has a gambling problem.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
  • GettingThingsDone
    Options
    [REMOVED]

And where did you spring from hypno? - your green light was off a minute ago :) All going well for you?
  • hypno06
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm never too far away from MSE for very long!! things are going ok here. The children had a fab week skiing and are now worn out! The ironing pile gets ever bigger, and OH still hasn't cut the grass. Happy days :rolleyes:

I hope you have a good weekend.
  • scaredy_cat_2
    Options
    Hello all.
    I thought i had it... but perhaps not...
    How do I make money with bets? Today I bet £2 on a horse at 7, and a lay for 7 too. and I still lost 9p! I didn't realise that with the lay I only get back what I placed.

Confused.... and in need of an idiots guide answer!
  • hypno06
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Because you pay commission at Betfair. So what you have done is absolutely right - I have put it in my "matcher" and it agrees. commission at betfair is 5% so this has to be included in the equation.

hope that helps!
  • GettingThingsDone
    Options
    Hi Scaredy Cat - I tried to explain matched betting to the OH and inlaws to much hilarity on their part. In summary (if I understand it correctly) the betting part should always come out equal (i.e. matched) i.e. you make no money there. You make your money on the introductory and other offers from the bookies? Can you confirm that please hypno?
  • GettingThingsDone
    Options
    Oooh - just remembered that I have a ski voucher for the snow dome thing at Milton Keynes. Excellento! I might treat myself to some midweek snow action.

I still haven't written my Mint letter - arghhh, why not??!!

Found some old PDAs in the office over the weekend that could be ebayed, so that's good. I'm itching to look under our stairs now, as I'm sure there's stuff in there that could be ebayed as well. One thing at a time though, otherwise I'll end up with loads of items but never get round to listing them. I know me :)

Only one month to go until I can get a 'free' replacement handset and sell my current one!

Need to get a haircut today, so it won't be a NSD. And will have a chat with colleague which will probably involve the pub - so definitely not a NSD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure