Breastfeeding

Options

Comments

• yellowbear
    yellowbear Posts: 633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really think it would help if women were given more information ante-natally. Babies feed a lot in the 1st few days. Their stomach is the size of a marble, capable of holding only 5-7mls. By day 10 it's still only capable of holding 2-3oz.

Whether they are breast or bottle fed, they will be feeding A LOT!

Add to that the fact that breast milk is so easily digested by the baby and you will feel like you are feeding all the time.

It doesn't help that formula manufacturers tell you to make up a 3/4 oz bottle for a newborn. A newborn baby is just not capable of taking that much milk in.

If breastfeeding hurts there is a reason. *Usually* it is a poor latch. That can be helped. Find out where your nearest breastfeeding drop in group is. You can get so much help and support from women who have 'been there, done that'.

You should be able to get their location from your HV, MW. Some hospitals are even including details in discharge packs.

Women don't 'fail' at breastfeeding - they have BEEN failed. Whether that is by well-meaning relatives (happened to me, left me doubting myself), health professionals telling mums to 'top-up' if baby is feeding all the time, when maybe all that's needed is a bit of reassurance and/or latch adjustment or the formula manufacturers telling you that their milk is 'closer to breastmilk'. Closer than what? Coffee? Lemonade?

Ironically, we know so much about breastmilk purely because the formula companies have tried so hard to copy it!
  • bromleymum
    bromleymum Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    It took me three babies until I finally cracked breastfeeding.

I was a complete disaster with the first, baby wouldn't latch on, mastitis etc. and gave up after 3 weeks or so.

I got as far as 6 weeks with the second and then had a wobbly that she wasn't thriving switched her to formula and she put on weight.

With the third I was too busy to bother with bottles and didn't even get the steriliser out of storage so just persevered with the breastfeeding and was still happily feeding up to a year old.

A few thoughts....

Regardless of the breast is best mantra, breastfeeding once established is about a billion times more convenient than the bottle.

Although my first two did have an initial weight gain after switching to bottle they soon found their natural weight line and reverted back to the line they were on when they were being fully breastfed. Overall it made no difference by the time the babies were a year old.

It was my exhaustion and paranoia that caused the breastfeeding to stop the first two times. It is normal for babies to drop their weight in the first couple of weeks, and breastfeeding does blooming hurt for about six weeks, but I was a lot calmer with the third so just accepted these facts and got on with it.

It is nearly impossible to remain sane & calm with your first baby (I went mental) so give new mums a break for switching to the bottle.

Hats off to mums like my sister who cracked breastfeeding first time. Although her daughter at 2 and a half still asks for "booby" at the top of her voice. Lol.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had the opposite in hospital; I wanted to breastfeed, but DS wouldn't latch. I had SO much pressure just to shove a bottle in his mouth so I could go home rather than taking up a bed space, and was sometimes made to feel like a nuisance rather than being given help.

I struggled massively with the breastfeeding, as DS was feeding every hour, then when he got to 6 weeks, he started cluster feeding from 7pm until about 10pm, so he was just glued to my boob! It drove me mad, but it's what babies do, so that's what we did.

Anyway, breast will always be best, as it's what our bodies were designed to do, but formula is a very good alternative, and if that's what you choose to do, then good for you!

What I don't get is why we end up with SO many posts from those who have chosen to formula feed, or switch to formula, wanting some kind of justification for their decision! If you choose formula, then who cares what others thing if you're happy with your decision?!?!

All I will say is that once you make the decision to switch, make sure it's the right one, as once your milk dries up, there is no turning back. A friend of mine has a son the same age as mine, and she stopped breastfeeding at 8 weeks as he took so long for his feeds. At 6 months, she now really regrets not getting help from a breastfeeding clinic or expert to see if she could continue, but c'est la vie!

I would love to now switch to formula now DS is 6 months, but unfortunately my boy will not give up the boob! At least it's only 4 feeds a day for 5 minutes!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »

What I don't get is why we end up with SO many posts from those who have chosen to formula feed, or switch to formula, wanting some kind of justification for their decision! If you choose formula, then who cares what others thing if you're happy with your decision?!?!
    !

Probably because of the comments of those who would deny other mothers the choice to feed as they see fit or vilify them for doing so.

I don't think many seek to justify their decision,(why would they?) rather, they are defending their right to choose.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    Probably because of the comments of those who would deny other mothers the choice to feed as they see fit or vilify them for doing so.

I don't think many seek to justify their decision,(why would they?) rather, they are defending their right to choose.

Why does anyone need to defend their choice on how to feed their baby if they are happy with their decision?!?!

The phrase that springs to mind is "he protesteth too much..."

I'm happy with my decision to continue breastfeeding, so couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, even if I'm still getting my boobs out for DS at 6 months when most others are now bottle feeding. :D

(but if anyone has any good tips on how to convince a 6 month old that bottles are great...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bottle fed my 3 children and don't feel guilty one little bit.

Why would, or should I say, should I?!

Women are different. Some want to BF and do. Some want to BF and can't. Some don't want to BF at all.

Nothing wrong with any of those.

What works for both the Mother and the baby is all that matters.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Sally42
    Sally42 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Bahhhh! I had my first when I was 20 (he's now 21), breastfed and became devastatingly depressed with everyone grabbing bits of my cleavage, squeezing, poking, prodding and generally feeling they had the right to tell me what to do. My second at 31 (he's now 10), and spent four days attached to a manual pump in a nursery in a German hospital, feeling like a milk cow as mums & dads wandered past and grabbed an eyeball ~ AND my son lost over a lb in weight before I couldn't bear the screaming of my very hungry child and switched to bottle. (had an emergency c-section, so my milk was delayed, plus I was anaemic afterwards, which didn't help) For my third (I'm 42, he's 5 months) I finally said ' I'm doing it my way', allowed the midwife to take some colostrum out after he was born, gave 'the breasts' 12 hours to see if he could latch on, curled my toes every time my little chap whimpered, then said 'enough is enough' and asked for a bottle. Have never looked back, especially when I found out, when he was a week old, from a midwife 'in the know' that he was tongue tied and wouldn't have latched on without it being snipped anyway.
    Age and confidence are great attributes ~ I listen to advice, make sure my decision is informed, then go with what I want and feel is best in any situation. My nipper is is happy as Larry, and healthy to boot!
    Frodo ~ "..... I wish none of this had happened. "
    Gandalf ~ " So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
  • Sally42
    Sally42 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Btw....who IS this Larry, and why is he so happy?!?!
    Frodo ~ "..... I wish none of this had happened. "
    Gandalf ~ " So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Why does anyone need to defend their choice on how to feed their baby if they are happy with their decision?!?!

The phrase that springs to mind is "he protesteth too much..."

I'm happy with my decision to continue breastfeeding, so couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, even if I'm still getting my boobs out for DS at 6 months when most others are now bottle feeding. :D

(but if anyone has any good tips on how to convince a 6 month old that bottles are great...)

It is human nature to defend a position when you are attacked and told you are selfish or should feel guilt. Have you read the other threads on this subject? There are some quite nasty comments and assertions on there which some people do take personally.

Personally, I never felt the slightest twinge of guilt, it was right for me and that was all that mattered.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Albeit Breast is Best for baby, has she considered expressing, the breastmilk can then be chilled and used as and when needed.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing