Has anyone got a discount on Virgins new Tivo box via retentions??

Options
Just cancelled my contract for phone, XL TV and 50Mb BB. Initially was offered £4 discount, declined.

Second call yesterday, in between I had heard about the new box but didn`t like the upfront cost. Offered the new box at the standard rate for installation, but overall a £15pm discount, effectively £12 off what I am paying now plus the £3 for Tivo.

What I would like, is to also get it installed for less should I decide to stay with them and upgrade to the Tivo.

Anyone got anything knocked off the up-front costs via retentions??

Thanks

Comments

• djkitsch
    Options
    Got it installed yesterday - I had a choice between Sky+ and sticking with Virgin. The customer retentions team gave me a slightly better deal on the subscription (without the TiVo surcharge), and waived the purchase price for the box itself.
  • Encantador
    Encantador Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    djkitsch wrote: »
    Got it installed yesterday - I had a choice between Sky+ and sticking with Virgin. The customer retentions team gave me a slightly better deal on the subscription (without the TiVo surcharge), and waived the purchase price for the box itself.

so approx £40 saved upfront (or more for the 1TB) and a further £3pm.

Thanks for that, will stick it out then.

Is it any good?
  • CAN1976
    CAN1976 Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    By Tivo do you mean V+? If so, yeah it rocks.
  • Encantador
    Options
    CAN1976 wrote: »
    By Tivo do you mean V+? If so, yeah it rocks.

Not sure, the new box that has only just been launched. Lots more space (500mb or 1TB) and has a lot more functionality than the V+ boxes.
  • CAN1976
    Options
    Encantador wrote: »
    Not sure, the new box that has only just been launched. Lots more space (500mb or 1TB) and has a lot more functionality than the V+ boxes.

Ah will have to do a looksee, got my latest V+HD box off em about a year or so ago. I like that Virgin don't charge monthly for HD.
  • CAN1976
    Options
    Just done a recce, I can't see that I would gain much from my current V+HD box. I delete stuff after I watch it, so never had space issues. The only other draw would be the suggested viewing thing, but I don't think it's worth it to me.
  • mojo1997
    Options
    I spend over £100 a month with virgin (TV, Broadband, and two phone lines) and rang them up asking for the TiVo box, they told me it would be £49 for the box and no extra cost per month. We've got the old standard box by the way...not HD or recordable.

Now that's not what I wanted to hear!!!! I want it free.

Anyone threatened to leave and got the box free??? I've been having TV trouble anyway so maybe a move to Sky is on the cards.
  • Encantador
    Options
    mojo1997 wrote: »
    I spend over £100 a month with virgin (TV, Broadband, and two phone lines) and rang them up asking for the TiVo box, they told me it would be £49 for the box and no extra cost per month. We've got the old standard box by the way...not HD or recordable.

Now that's not what I wanted to hear!!!! I want it free.

Anyone threatened to leave and got the box free??? I've been having TV trouble anyway so maybe a move to Sky is on the cards.

The normal deal is £49 for the 500Gb Tivo plus £40 fitting plus £3pm.

Sounds like they were knocking off the £40 installation charge and the £3pm, that`s better than what I have been offered so far.

I also pay over £100pm.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind tho that you DONT own the box,unlike Sky.When you leave VM,you have to return the equipment or be charged for it.
  • mojo1997
    Options
    Rang them and tried pushing them, they offered me the 500 gb Tivo box for £20 install then £3 a month. I was about to go ahead with it until he said there was also a set up fee of something like £60!!!!......I said no thanks.

After I came off the phone I looked online and saw there was still the V+ box which basically does what I want i.e record TV (not bothered about HD)...I told them at VM that I wasn't bothered about HD so why didn't they bring the V+ box to my attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure