Paying for full tank of petrol in pennies

Options

Comments

• TeddyBear_2
    TeddyBear_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »
    Do banks have to take in that many coppers? .../ Do the post office have an obligation to do so?

Why not pick up the phone and ask? If you have time to stand around in a fuel station while the cashier counts your umpteen twos and ones, surely you enough time to make some phone calls? That way, you don't even have to leave your house to get an answer.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    KierNet wrote: »
    Unless BP garages have huge tills, how are we going to fit all those coins in the till? Our tills can hold a £2 or £3 of each at a push.

If you did that I would send you off to the cashstar in the main shop, if you drove off I would quiet happily phone the Police and let them deal with it.

You've even pointed it out from the Royal Mints site.

As long as the OP left contact details the police wouldn't be interested as it would be a civil matter.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    This would just be a case of bloody mindedness.

The clear position is that you can't afford to drive a car. Such a position would probably mean that road tax and insurance would also, be well down the list of priorities.
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Ronaldo_Mconaldo Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    Options
    Here's an even better solution. Go in and then put £5 of petrol in your car and then pay in pennies. They'll probably take that without a problem. Then drive off the forecourt and back around again for another £5. Keep doing this until all your pennies are gone. You could even drive to a different petrol station to keep thing interesting.
  • Money_User
    Money_User Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Here's an even better solution. Go in and then put £5 of petrol in your car and then pay in pennies. They'll probably take that without a problem. Then drive off the forecourt and back around again for another £5. Keep doing this until all your pennies are gone. You could even drive to a different petrol station to keep thing interesting.

I wouldn't do that. I've said on this forum before, if you want to get rid of coppers, use Supermarket self service machines, no fee and no worry about how long you take.
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    you didnt offer payment, you took the p1ss. now go and barter with them using fresh vegetables and a couple of chickens...im sure the ye olde trading laws will still apply if you dig deep enough.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    Options
    My husband says he's jealous of your pennies. :D he likes collecting his change too
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jago25_98 wrote: »
    If you're homeless / with the bankless problem and the 10% coinstar charge is significant for you, you could try visiting the petrol station in the early hours and appeal your situation to the cashier. They may have been in a similar situation themselves one time. Main thing I'm saying is don't view it as a system, see the people behind the counter

In this situation I would question how you even have a car :D
    Money_User wrote: »
    There's only one fact, people who have an obsession with bad customer service will always get bad service it's self inflicted. Drop the attitude and looking for faults and you'll probably find you'll enjoy shopping more :)

Its just as much about how the company treat the member of staff as it is how the customer treats the worker.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wont Post office's change the money for you for free?

not sure!

No they won't.

If they WANT the money (for change themselves) they may well accept it. If you are paying it into an account they will accept it. If you know the postmaster/owner/clerk they MAY change it, if in a good mood

But they are not obliged to.

The same with banks.
  • joe_purdy
    joe_purdy Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    I work in a petrol station at tesco and i would refuse you because i'd have to count it all causing alot of problems for other waiting customers, im not unreasonable if someone came in with a few pounds in copper and we wernt really busy i would accept but i think £60 odd is just a bit too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure