Paying for full tank of petrol in pennies

Options
Right, so I have a jar full of £63.32 1 pence and 2 pence coins....Okay, not a jar - 2 carrier bags full!

I know from the Royal Mint website that 2p and 1p coins are only legal tender up to:

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

But, damn, I'm just broke and feeling slightly bored and annoyed at the soaring petrol prices, (Even though it's not the petrol companies fault but due to Mr. TaxMan) ... If I go and fill up my car with £63.32 and ONLY have 1p's and 2p's to hand to the cashier...Do they have to accept it as it's my ONLY means of payment, or can they actually call the Police and claim that I'm refusing to pay? - Which I'm actually not...I have the money, it's all there!

What do you guys think? :A

Note: this question is only hypothetical, I don't really have £63 in coins nor am I that heartless to put some poor cashier through all that pain lol

Comments

• Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »
    2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
    I think you've answered your own question.

They'd refuse that amount of copper and if you had no other means by which to pay for the petrol, fill out one of those payment forms whereby you agree to pay the bill within a set number of days. :)
    :cool:
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    They'd refuse that amount of copper and if you had no other means by which to pay for the petrol, fill out one of those payment forms whereby you agree to pay the bill within a set number of days

But I don't have any other forms of payment other than coppers ? :( Oh FML by this stage
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    so go to a bank and change it up
  • puppy999
    puppy999 Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes they will refuse as I went into a shop coppered up for pkt cigs £5.90 and they refused to take my pennies ...lol
  • Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    there was a thread on this site a while ago about exactly the same subject only the OP claimed that he had put the petrol in before trying to pay with pennies, they kept the thread spinning for quite a while on the subject but I cant remember which board it was on :o
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 May 2011 at 4:59AM
    Options
    Getting a bank to change it up might be a pain. They might ask you to pay into an account.

Coinstar coin exchange machines (certain supermarkets) are an option but you have to give up around 9 %.
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Ronaldo_Mconaldo Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    Options
    What would happen if you went over your stated amount of £63.62 by a penny? Then you'd be in trouble.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, OP, what a silly game! I hear your frustration, but whilst the tax burden on fuel is high, the money to get us out of this financial hole has to come from all sources, or it'll only be higher year on year thereafter as the country services insane interets. And don't imagine the poor oil companies have nothing to do with high prices, they know exactly what they are doing. Anyway, motivation aside ...

If I were the garage, I would refuse you - cash handling is expensive for all the counting, storage, transport and banking of it (businesses pay a percentage of the cash banked in fees), not to mention the grief for a member of staff to have to count all your copper causing massive queues, which leaves cars t the pumps, which may lose them business. It would be harmful to the very people selling what you want, and nobody else except their other customers!

You could try getting the local press along to cover your position 'local man takes penny-saving stand on fuel prices - see page 19', but aside from a little support from frothing nutters, it could undermine your grievance and make you look silly.
  • ChefBungle
    ChefBungle Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Plus the poor person on the till is more than likely being paid minimum wage and probably won't really care about your woes or concerns. He/she will probably accept the money as they will probably feel intimidated into doing it (as likely you will be 'wanting to make a point' when you go in to pay), and the only thing that will happen is that they will !!!!! and moan about you to other staff members and customers.

If you think for one minute that the cashier is going to speak to her boss or write to the petrol company head office and say "gee whizz, this guy came in and paid for his petrol with 1p's and 2p's in protest at high prices. I really think we should lower our prices by 50p per litre so this kind of thing doesn't happen again" then you need a bit of a reality check.

I hear your pain and frustration as it costs me £68 to fill up my tank just now, but there are more constructive ways to protest.
  • **dancingbutterfly**
    Options
    wont Post office's change the money for you for free?

not sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport