Paying for full tank of petrol in pennies

Options

Comments

• ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Changing it at a bank should be OK...as long as you bag it in the right quantities first (usually bags of £1 for coppers, £5 got 5ps or something like that. I've done that loads of times at my bank or with kids bank when their piggy banks have got full
  • sabz3008
    sabz3008 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Do banks have to take in that many coppers? .../ Do the post office have an obligation to do so?
  • sabz3008
    Options
    And I apologise to those that found my previous signature offensive. It was not meant to cause any offence.
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2011 at 12:07AM
    Options
    What would happen if you went over your stated amount of £63.62 by a penny? Then you'd be in trouble.

I love your username! :)
  • sabz3008
    Options
    Originally Posted by Ronaldo Mconaldo
    What would happen if you went over your stated amount of £63.62 by a penny? Then you'd be in trouble.

Suppose I'd just have to make sure I only fill to £63.50 or so to make sure I don't? :)
  • squidge60
    squidge60 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take all those pennies to Tesco/Sainsburys and put them in one of their cash counting machines Job done :)
    Ok it will cost you a few of your pennies but at least you have the fun of letting the machine do it.!
  • gocurlygirl
    gocurlygirl Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At our local Lidl store last week there was a long Q as a woman had put all her things through then was counting out a large amount of coins!a second till was opened and we went through it not realising that we would be out of the shop before the woman had finished counting and paying.the people behind looked very unhappy!:mad:
    I have to say the young man serving her was very very patient:A and she was a foreign lady so did not appear to understand much english.:o
    I paid our pennies into lloyds-saved the coinstar bill but have used it before-would prefer that to being in front of q with a large shoppig trolley full and a bag full of coins:rotfl:
    worse still being behind such a person.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your a customer of either HSBC, Barclays, Natwest or Metro Bank the larger branches have coin deposit machines which will credit the coins to your bank account without having to bag them up.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    If you're homeless / with the bankless problem and the 10% coinstar charge is significant for you, you could try visiting the petrol station in the early hours and appeal your situation to the cashier. They may have been in a similar situation themselves one time. Main thing I'm saying is don't view it as a system, see the people behind the counter
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • Money_User
    Money_User Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2011 at 7:31AM
    Options
    sabz3008 wrote: »
    And I apologise to those that found my previous signature offensive. It was not meant to cause any offence.

Sig now Capitalism isn't the problem. Bad customer service is
    Money_User wrote: »
    Hmm, all too often on here you have people complaining when ultimately their own attitude was to blame. Your sig says this "Bad customer service is up there with cancer! - Probably even higher!"

Personally I think that's quite distasteful. However I was saying many people who complain about service ultimately seem to have themselves to blame, you starting a thread about being as awkward as you can seems to support this. Maybe you're the cause of your own sig?

Still have to quote myself here, an obsession with bad customer service and also fanaticizes about being awkward!

There's only one fact, people who have an obsession with bad customer service will always get bad service it's self inflicted. Drop the attitude and looking for faults and you'll probably find you'll enjoy shopping more :)

Someone else said on another thread on here, you'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar. Live by that and you'll find you'll notice quite a difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure