Has anyone else had problems with Yell/ Yell.com? Going to court?

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    When you get the court papers, put it all in writing, times and dates, with a counter claim, demanding return of what you did pay them. And in the small claims court, you will win.

Basically. You paid them for a service you did not recieve, you spent time and money trying to get them to provide the service going forward, and becuase they did not provide the service, you gave them more than adequate time to make it better, and when they did not, you cancelled because they had breached the contract. You now claim, the money you did pay, because you haven't recieved the service you did pay for.

They are muppets if they think they can win. :beer:

I wonder how paula.paula13 got on, as the post you quoted is almost 2 years old now ;)
  • Hello,

I took out a small advertisment with Yell in 2012, the advert was agreed and I was to besent a bill for the amount which never arrived. I was shocked toreceive a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery demanding the amountowed £147.60 be paid. There was never any question of my paying forthis and I paid them right away but this was to be my first brushwith them. In September 2012, I closed my business and settled allaccounts (or so I thought) sold my home and retired to Cyprus. It isalmost a year since I left the UK so you can you can imagine mysurprise that a letter from Moorcroft has been sent to me via arelative. This time Moorcroft claim that I have a furtheroutstanding debt for advertising for 2013 with a company I'd nevereven heard of called HIBU, even though I don't live in the UK. Itturns out that they had changed their policy and their name at somepoint without notifying me – I was not made aware of the new 'optout' clause putting the onus on me to contact them if I didn't wantto advertise anymore. This was never the case with Yell as far as Ican remember. You were contacted on an annual basis, the advert andbudget was agreed and the contract papers were signed and sent back.This was always the case. What I would like to know is: Has anyonehad any experience of this? When did the change in their terms takeplace? Are you liable when you've never been informed of changes orconsented. I would certainly never have consented to an advert inthe UK when I am retired. I was never made aware of the new 'opt out'agreement. Am I the only one facing this? I will be contacting mylawyer over this matter but I would welcome any comments and advice.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Hello,

I took out a small advertisment with Yell in 2012, the advert was agreed and I was to besent a bill for the amount which never arrived. I was shocked toreceive a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery demanding the amountowed £147.60 be paid. There was never any question of my paying forthis and I paid them right away but this was to be my first brushwith them. In September 2012, I closed my business and settled allaccounts (or so I thought) sold my home and retired to Cyprus. It isalmost a year since I left the UK so you can you can imagine mysurprise that a letter from Moorcroft has been sent to me via arelative. This time Moorcroft claim that I have a furtheroutstanding debt for advertising for 2013 with a company I'd nevereven heard of called HIBU, even though I don't live in the UK. Itturns out that they had changed their policy and their name at somepoint without notifying me – I was not made aware of the new 'optout' clause putting the onus on me to contact them if I didn't wantto advertise anymore. This was never the case with Yell as far as Ican remember. You were contacted on an annual basis, the advert andbudget was agreed and the contract papers were signed and sent back.This was always the case. What I would like to know is: Has anyonehad any experience of this? When did the change in their terms takeplace? Are you liable when you've never been informed of changes orconsented. I would certainly never have consented to an advert inthe UK when I am retired. I was never made aware of the new 'opt out'agreement. Am I the only one facing this? I will be contacting mylawyer over this matter but I would welcome any comments and advice.

Were you a sole trader or limited company? As a limited company they could simply be invited to ! themselves, company closed, you've moved on.

As a sole trader, couple of options, easiest is to ignore it and see if they bother trying to sue. If you get a small claims court summons, you can defend your case, pay if you lose. You could write back to the debt collector denying the debt and seeing if they manage to find evidence of you signing the revised contract (effectively 'prove it'). But if you're in Cyprus and not planning on paying, telling them this might make them just write you off as a massive PITA to chase for it.

Personally, I'd be inclined to ignore everything unless you get a properly issued court summons, which will be a pain seeing as you don't have a UK address. Get whoever received the letter to respond that you're not living at that address. Likely they'll send ever more threatening letters then give up, seek the debt onto another agency for a few pence in the pound.
  • Hi I used to advertise with yell.com and decided years ago not to re advertise . I always had a call or a visit from a rep before anything was agreed . I received a call last week from hibu saying I needed to settle an outstanding debt !!!! On signing contracts with them and seeing ad I always had to set up a direct debit mandate with them .i never did any of these so really confused as to how I now owe them anything ! The date for advertising on mine was for 2010 to 2011 !,,, I'm a bit shocked if this was the case it's taken nearly 3 years but like you I really don't know where to go to from here ... I did call and say whatever was going on I thought it was fraud, if anyone else can throw any light please let me know
    Joanne
  • Sadly I have fallen victim to yell also.
    I am a small Print business running part time around another job, my quest was to make the business work full time, after exhausting all my lip service locally I needed to increase business.
    The yell rep came to see me and we hit 9 large areas costing me all my savings of £3200, This decision was massive for me but I was promised the phone would ring off the hook, he did an analysis on my website that was coming in top marks and even told me to delay my weeks holiday as I would be sure to miss calls.
    He promised Google would always recognise yell in the top 3 listings so I would capture all searches for printers., more often than not it comes in 14th.
    I was so sucked in I was actually worried I wouldn't be able to cope with the work,,,,,,,, I know WHAT A MUG I AM AND SHOULD OF REALISED MARKETING ISNT THAT SIMPLE.
    However when you are told what you get for your money especially with a company as big as Yell you don't expect to be conned.
    2 months down the line I have had 10 calls , all from companies trying to sell me products. GUTTED every time I answer the phone.
    The guy even failed to make a new appointment to discuss the lack of calls, What a surprise!!!!!!
    I have called YELL and explained in a pleasant way that I feel I was miss sold, only to be told I cant cancel, and to see what it generates over the next 10 months, HOLD ON ,,,, they would have had all my money by then.!!!!!!!!
    THIS IS THE ONLY TRUMP CARD I HAVE.
    I have today sent a email officially terminating the contract based on miss sold and cancelled my direct debit.
    I don't expect anything only a court letter so any help for the next chapter would be helpful?
    thanks
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What do you have in snailmail writing from Yell?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tony_Dav wrote: »
    Sadly I have fallen victim to yell also.
    I am a small Print business running part time around another job, my quest was to make the business work full time, after exhausting all my lip service locally I needed to increase business.
    The yell rep came to see me and we hit 9 large areas costing me all my savings of £3200, This decision was massive for me but I was promised the phone would ring off the hook, he did an analysis on my website that was coming in top marks and even told me to delay my weeks holiday as I would be sure to miss calls.
    He promised Google would always recognise yell in the top 3 listings so I would capture all searches for printers., more often than not it comes in 14th.
    I was so sucked in I was actually worried I wouldn't be able to cope with the work,,,,,,,, I know WHAT A MUG I AM AND SHOULD OF REALISED MARKETING ISNT THAT SIMPLE.
    However when you are told what you get for your money especially with a company as big as Yell you don't expect to be conned.
    2 months down the line I have had 10 calls , all from companies trying to sell me products. GUTTED every time I answer the phone.
    The guy even failed to make a new appointment to discuss the lack of calls, What a surprise!!!!!!
    I have called YELL and explained in a pleasant way that I feel I was miss sold, only to be told I cant cancel, and to see what it generates over the next 10 months, HOLD ON ,,,, they would have had all my money by then.!!!!!!!!
    THIS IS THE ONLY TRUMP CARD I HAVE.
    I have today sent a email officially terminating the contract based on miss sold and cancelled my direct debit.
    I don't expect anything only a court letter so any help for the next chapter would be helpful?
    thanks

What do you have in writing from Yell guaranteeing you a top 3 listing on Google and a certain number of sales telephone calls from potential customers?

I can tell you now that you wont have anything in writing because no-one can guarantee these things.

What you've probably signed up for is adverts covering the 9 areas you chose, nothing more than that, no guarantees.

Unless Yell haven't kept to their agreement with the adverts then you have very little or no comeback. Sorry.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vectis wrote: »
    What do you have in writing from Yell guaranteeing you a top 3 listing on Google and a certain number of sales telephone calls from potential courtmers?

I can tell you now that you wont have anything in writing because no-one can guarantee these things.

What you've probably signed up for is adverts covering the 9 areas you chose, nothing more than that, no guarantees.

Unless Yell haven't kept to their agreement with the adverts then you have very little or no comeback. Sorry.

Don't you know about verbal contracts? Of course he has comeback, they have blatantly failed to deliver anything reasonably close to what they have promised and any court would have great difficulty siding with Yell.

Don't worry about any threats, how much have you already paid? I'd demand it back, use small claims courts.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Don't you know about verbal contracts? Of course he has comeback, they have blatantly failed to deliver anything reasonably close to what they have promised and any court would have great difficulty siding with Yell.

Don't worry about any threats, how much have you already paid? I'd demand it back, use small claims courts.

A verbal contract? Fine, but how do you prove what was said - and I'm talking here about SEO results and numbers of phone calls resulting in sales?

What the OP will have is a written agreement which he will have signed. Trying to prove anything else was guaranteed over and above this will be extremely difficult. Let the OP come back and say if there's anything in the agreement he signed that guarantees a certain level of performance with regard to SEO or sales calls. There wont be because they can't be guaranteed.

Talk all you want about verbal agreements but the actual agreement is what's stated in the written agreement the OP signed.

Certainly, if the ads haven't appeared or not appeared by a promised date then complain about that and get a refund, but anything else is a bit of a non starter because it wont have been guaranteed.
  • Hi,
    same as you, we have trusted yell because we grew up to that yellow book at home! they've sold us a one year ads contract promising that we will get leads etc from it.

They claim that there the data shows 43 calls to our company but we have never received a single call from them! when we tried to dispute this they said " well, the data don't lie" and you are bound to a 12 months contract anyway! We have the option to cancel our direct debit but the issue is that it will be passed on to a debt collection agency and it will leave a bad footprint on our company's credit history. Any advice on what to do would be most welcomed
    Hi everyone, I hope you have recovered from dealing with Yell as I have not yet done so. Yell have been a TOTAL 100% NIGHTMARE, they are a BUSINESS FROM HELL.
    I put my trust into Yell as we all have grew up will Yell in our household and believed in.

I will take out a loan and sell any assets i need to hold Yell accountable through the courts for what they have done.

Their sales women not only sold me a package which promised me to busy yet delivered zero results (proven) package costs just under £15k,the sales women had no heart but this is not the issue.

I transferred my domain name to them and learnt soon after i could not and did not receive any emails to my business email, which for a new start business was understandably very hard to handle. Then i was told you won't be able to send any emails from your business email, but will be able to receive the emails through my personal email.

I was shocked and explained "why would i buy professional email for my business and not be able to use it" they replied "you should have been told this when you transferred it". I replied "yes I should have been told".

I then told them "send it back to Namesco so i will be able to use it" and you will NOT BELIEVE what they said "we have the ability to transfer emails to ourselves but have not got the facilities to send it back" i am not going to tell you how i felt.

I took me months to sort out all this on top of keeping the business afloat.

This was just the beginning of their unbelievable cruelty i let the business email mistake go and proceeded to do my work only to realize the website they created for me, NO one could access as they made the domain name wrong yet they printed it out correctly in the Yellow Pages, when i asked "why have you made it wrong ? they said they didn't know.

The last straw was they had links all over my website in the first sentences on the first paragraph " How do solar panels work" Highlighted Re-directing my potential customers directly to my competitors which i have videoed over the course of months, even after me telling them again and again the Links remained. ( videos to prove with proven dates)The amazing thing is they would not rectify the problems which i am bewildered about.

Why would they do this?

They have 1) scammed us
    2)Gave us the WORST service ever a business could give (at a time we were MOST vulnerable
    3)Would not rectify their mistakes (witness, photos videos, emails to prove)
    4) Fobbed us off

Because of this company i question the Government how & why is this allowed to happen, big companies doing so much wrong to business especially new start ups at a time where they are most vulnerable and BLATANTLY think they can get away with it!

I have since learnt Yellow pages is good as dead the £5,200 i gave them as a deposit was dead money the minute i gave it. BEWARE THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT NORMAL THEY STRESS ME SO MUCH I WILL CANCEL ALL FORESEE ABLE HOLIDAYS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN THE DOCKS.

IF I CAN HELP IN ANY WAY , ANYONE AFFECTED BY YELL I WOULD BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO DO SO

(Text removed by forum team)

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport