Parcelforce 'Clearance fee'

Options

Comments

• Zedzilla
    Options
    Yes - I'm one of the latest caught up in this ParcelFarce money game.

I just contacted psc.gov and got this response:-

Dear Chris,

Sean has asked me to respond to your email of 28 February on his behalf.

By way of background, Postcomm was created by Parliament in November 2000 to maintain the universal service provision - the arrangement where letters and parcels are collected and delivered each working day to any part of the UK for the same price - and generally to promote customer interest, where appropriate, by promoting competition in postal services.

Although we can appreciate the concerns you raise, the issue of whether or not Parcelforce/Royal Mail or any other postal operator is entitled to retain a parcel on the basis that a handling fee has not been paid is not one that Postcomm has the power to resolve. It is entirely a matter for the courts and depends upon the correct interpretation of the Postal Services Act 2000 ("PSA"). In any event, Postcomm's enforcement functions do not extend to directing Royal Mail in any way in relation to this matter. For your information, the PSA is the responsibility of the Department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform although, again, the correct interpretation of the PSA remains a matter for the courts.

If you wish to pursue this issue you will need to seek independent legal advice as this is not something Postcomm can provide. However, Postcomm has written to Royal Mail (copied to Postwatch, the independent watchdog for postal services) informing both bodies that this is a matter of ongoing concern for customers.

I am sorry Postcomm is unable to be of assistance in this matter.

Kind regards,

Kate Monro
    Policy Manager
    Universal Service and Customer Protection
    Postcomm - the independent regulator for postal services
    Hercules House
    6 Hercules Road
    London
    SE1 7DB

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7593 2178

So it looks like, as always, we the suckers are at the rough end of a money making game.

The Americans did their best and got my stuff here within 2-3 days. Then the Great British machine starts grinding it's wheels and Jobsworth GB companies start to coin it in.

A lady at Parcelforce HQ 01908 687000 said that Morriston Police are not bothering and that ParcelForce are entitled to hold all packages - so there it is then - if you're a big PLC you can do what you like.

Addendum - I was forced to pay £140 in fees and charges at 3p.m. on Thursday 28th Feb. Promised by ParcelForce to deliver my parcel next day i.e. 29th Feb. Phoned them in the morning to make sure it was on the van - got a call at 11.15a.m. to say they forgot and my parcel was still on the shelf!!! They promised to get it delivered by 5p.m. - watch this space. I will personaly complain to ParcelForce and get a refund of their 'mis'-handling charges otherwise. What a shambolic set up. No wonder GB is going down the drain bit by bit.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i see you didnt contact customs regarding this?
  • Zedzilla
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    i see you didnt contact customs regarding this?

No point. The fees had been paid by ParcelForce to Customs. Only would have delayed it even further. I challenged ParcelForce on their delaying tactics and they politely said they are in order to retain the goods til all fees are paid.

They don't want their drivers carrying cash or cheques - hence the ransom demands.

BTW they did deliver within an hour of my phone call stating I was in touch with their CE's office!!
  • custardy
    Options
    my point is customs accept payment from the couriers and release the items to them.
    thus customs are leaving it up to the couriers how these monies are recouped.
    ive raised it a few times yet no one ever follows it up.
  • Zedzilla
    Options
    my point is customs accept payment from the couriers and release the items to them.
    thus customs are leaving it up to the couriers how these monies are recouped.
    ive raised it a few times yet no one ever follows it up.

Customs get their money and that surely is all they care about. The story ends once HMRC bills are paid.
  • custardy
    Options
    well if your happy for HMRC to do that,why do you have an issue with parcelforce?(or any other courier)
    if customs billed you directly then you would have your item held up as well.
    given the increased paperwork for HMRC i would also expect dutys to rise accordingly
  • Zedzilla
    Options
    well if your happy for HMRC to do that,why do you have an issue with parcelforce?(or any other courier)
    if customs billed you directly then you would have your item held up as well.
    given the increased paperwork for HMRC i would also expect dutys to rise accordingly

Why? Well all other couriers either do COD, or they leave the parcel and you get an invoice at a leter date to pay.

ParcelFarce are inefficient - I could relate experiences but it won't help anyone here. They promised me delivery and left the parcel on their shelf. They didn't upfate the website once fees were paid - it's just so British.............. I'm done.
  • custardy
    Options
    so you dont have an issue with the fee,just the administation of it?
    unfortunatly thats down to the company.
    for me it makes sense not to have drivers carrying/dealing with cash and if it were me it seems much more hassle to be chasing up recipients for money when they have the goods.
    perhaps you should research carriers in your country of origin and arrange for all fee's to be covered on despatch
  • Zedzilla
    Options
    so you dont have an issue with the fee,just the administation of it?
    unfortunatly thats down to the company.
    for me it makes sense not to have drivers carrying/dealing with cash and if it were me it seems much more hassle to be chasing up recipients for money when they have the goods.
    perhaps you should research carriers in your country of origin and arrange for all fee's to be covered on despatch

At least we have established who is the apologist for ParcelForce on this forum.

Secondly I have no control over which service the USPS uses when it reaches UK shores. If I had a say I know which company I wouldn't use. And you can add InterLink to that list the driver just lied to his depot stating that he attempted a delivery at my home - when I was watching all day on CCTV - when he turned up after a fizzr from his boss he apologised for lying. Welcome to Britain - will the last person out please switch off the lights.

I'm really done. Unsubscribing now.
  • custardy
    Options
    um cant i offer another view?
    i put who my employer is on my sig so there is transparency.
    you seem to feel you need to focus some anger on me?

usps isnt the only service available in the US so the choice is yours.
    however since you 'unsubscribed' you wont read this.
    sorry i couldnt be more subserviant in my replys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport