PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!
    Well - deep breath - here goes, the start of my first full month GC!
    Today will be a NSD but I'm starting to do my online Mr T shop for later in the week - I'm out of coffee and tea bags and olive oil, so that's a big chunk out of my monthly budget. I made a mistake with tea, I decided to try a cheaper brand but they are horrid. So weak, even if I brew it for 10 mins it's too weak. I've ended up using two tea bags in each cup to try to get some flavour, and that then leaves it too strong! I decided there are certain things I can't/won't compromise on, and tea bags are one of them. :rotfl:

Good luck to every one for the coming month! :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 May 2011 at 8:28AM
    Options
    I am going for my usual £120.00 this month again but am starting as I mean to go on with a NSD today and tomorrow .I am really going to try and use up my stores even more this month as I want to get as much put into the August holiday fund as possible.My son-in -law isn't sure when the axe will fall on his job at the moment so the more I can put away towards the holiday the better.I have so much stuff in store its daft to keep buying it so my menu this month will be...interesting to say the least.My tinned store definitely has to come down a bit. Lots of sardine tins to be used up in an as imaginitive way as possible.Weird because I do like fish and my freezer has a fair amount in there as well.So lots of fish dishes I think.Good for the waistline as well.Good luck everyone
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    pepsi-kins wrote: »
    Hi All, hope your all having a good weekend,
    also OH keeps asking for nes*afe cappacino's at £2 abox and he has a couple a day its an expense we could do without really. Never mind could be worse.

Hi,
    I noticed these are on offer at £1.25 in Mr T at the moment - every little helps!
  • Elmo1985
    Elmo1985 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Morning!

so far so good havent spent a penny! going to Aldi later tho....aargh!
    Sealed Pot challenge" member #1342 Online Saver £60.00
    :mad:DEMONS :mad:: Lookagain £1358 // Debenhams £
    [STRIKE]767[/STRIKE] // Cap1 [STRIKE]£141.00[/STRIKE] // OD £800.00
    Official DFW Nerd #1385 - Proud to be dealing with my debt!
    Pay one debt 2012! £0 / £800

:jBaby Girl born 25/09/11:j

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the thread ladies, it is much appreciated.

Have had a couple of NSD's so am off to update my siggy.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • IHaveNoMoney.com
    Options
    Hi i put down £200 for april and was in budget but didn't include tolietries and nappys, so just calculated there will be 5 main shops in may for us and planning to include everything brought whther it be magazine, tolitries nappys etc so going to go for £300 for may although hoping to be more like £250 depends on how the potty training goes thanks Joanne
    £10 A DAY CHALLENGE £14.66/£300
    MAY SHOPPING BUDGET ££88.53/£300
    NSD 1/10
    AMERICA 2013 FUND £169.97/£3500 :cool:
    :jWEIGHTLOSS TO DATE 5st8lbs:j
    AMOUNT DEBT CLEARED SINCE APRIL 2011 £1481.31:beer:
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    susan946 wrote: »
    I have always paid my supermarket bills on Tes cc so I get the points that I put towards deals. I have been toying with the idea of withdrawing cash for the month and paying the bills with that - on the grounds that 'when it's gone it's gone'

Has anyone found this a better way of working or should I stick with the cc? My month starts 1st of the month so I would need to get the cash before my next shop. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Sue

Sue I keep my grocery money in a seperate purse and yep, when it's gone it's gone. I dont have any cards and this works for me. X
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Dawning wrote: »
    Morning all!
    Well - deep breath - here goes, the start of my first full month GC!
    Today will be a NSD but I'm starting to do my online Mr T shop for later in the week - I'm out of coffee and tea bags and olive oil, so that's a big chunk out of my monthly budget. I made a mistake with tea, I decided to try a cheaper brand but they are horrid. So weak, even if I brew it for 10 mins it's too weak. I've ended up using two tea bags in each cup to try to get some flavour, and that then leaves it too strong! I decided there are certain things I can't/won't compromise on, and tea bags are one of them. :rotfl:

Good luck to every one for the coming month! :j

I find cheap tea bags very good if you use a tea pot. I tend to make one in the morning, shove a cosy over it and then finish drinking it by lunch - it does get stronger, but because it's cooling I top it up with a little boiling water and 2 teabags makes me about 4 mugs.

If you didn't like the value tea bags, british rail tea is nice enough and works out only a little more expensive, you don't have to jump right up to pg's prices (I only say this as at 12+ mugs (buckets) a day I could spend more on tea bags in a month than on food!)

Placed a tesco online order for at my new flat and took advantage of the £10 of first spend. had to spend £50 to use the code, but -£8 in points and the £10 code mean's it should cost £32 or there abouts.

QUESTION: I copied someone I read on the forum who ordered 44 bags of 9p pasta. Given this is picked from my normal store, what will they sub with if they don't have enough?

I placed a note on the order asking for my 'personal shopper' to sub the same volume but I don't know - before now items have been subed that are about the same cost but are much smaller packets - therefore to my mind more expensive to me as I'm getting less for the same money.

thankyou.
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Please put me down for £200 again this month.
    Thanks!
  • Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    susan946 wrote: »
    I have always paid my supermarket bills on Tes cc so I get the points that I put towards deals. I have been toying with the idea of withdrawing cash for the month and paying the bills with that - on the grounds that 'when it's gone it's gone'

Sue

I'm the same. Be interested to know how you get on. I'm thinking the amount we might save in spending compensates for the points we wouldn't earn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure